Contractions during weeks 13-14???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm seeing my mw on Wednesday, so I may bring this up to her then...
but I THINK I'm having contractions. I've never felt them with such a small uterus (halfway to the belly button) before. I had a TON of BHs with my last pg, throughout the whole 3rd tri. I notice them sometimes during the day, but mostly at night and in the morning when I'm lying on my back in bed, esp if my bladder is full. It's like I'm lying there and all of a sudden it feels like my uterus is curling up under my skin, and when I feel it with my hand it's popped out a good amount (at least an inch) more than usual and is more firm than usual, but less firm than, say, one caused by an orgasm.

I've been working on getting more water, but haven't noticed a difference in these... contractions? Is this normal? Am I really having contractions? Is it dangerous? There is no pain at all, just the curly-crawly feeling and a little tighness, not even any tingling. Would my mw be concerned? Wednesday is my first appt.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-20-2005, 10:50 PM

It's normal, you just usually don't notice them in your first pregnancy. If they get painful, then talk to someone, that's when I know I have BV again.
#3 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Kam

I started to notice them at the end of my first tri, too, in this second pregnancy. My midwife says it's normal, just as Brinda did. If you're noticing that they seem to be coming more often, it could be a sign that you need to slow down a little or need more water. I have noticed so many more contractions this time--several an hour all day long!

Hope your mind is eased a little. It's no fun worrying. Of course, if you have any feeling that something isn't right, it never hurts to call.

Take good care,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more, due March 2006
#4 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 12:47 AM

I had noticeable BH that early in both my pregnancies. Ask about it but I'm sure everything's fine.
#5 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 01:39 AM

BH actually start @11-12 weeks, I think, but most people don't notice them until much much later.

I think I started feeling them around 16 weeks (I didn't really make a note of it) and I am definitely feeling them now (18 weeks). This is my first pregnancy, but I have an unusual amount of belly-awareness (due in large part, I think, to my being a bellydancer). I also could feel movement really early for a 1st pregnancy.
#6 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I noticed them about the same time you did, 13-14 weeks. Feels like muscle sliding under skin - kinda freaky! They have continued, feel the same, only a little stranger now that my uterus is higher.

Can't hurt to ask someone if you are concerned...I just asked a friend who has three kids. I think it is only a concern if you have several in a hour - like 5 or more. I have maybe one or two like that a day or every other day.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#7 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 02:21 AM

They should calm down if you pee, and/or drink two big fat glasses of water.

Mine are always worse when I need to pee. And if it's not from a full bladder, sometimes in addition to drinking water, I have to lie down for them to pass. It's my body's way of telling me to slow down, I've decided.

If they don't stop from the above actions, then I'd call your ob/mw.

Otherwise, sounds like BH to me. Happy aqua chugging!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#8 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! With my first pg I wasn't even aware that my uterus was abouve my pubic bone at this point! So of course I didn't notice any contractions. Its so good to know though that other mama's are having them too, and also that I'm not the only one having them with a full bladder, I thought that one was kinda odd. I just figure I could feel it more when my bladder is full. I have had them steadily about every 10 minutes, for about an hour a day, aside from the random ones. I'm sure dehydration is an issue, my lips are chapped and I'm craving fruit (esp. watermellon mmm). So I'll try not to worry and get more water (and probably cut back on the fruit a bit!).
Thanks again!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 03:49 AM

Having a full bladder, even when you dont think it is full, can irritate your uterus and cause an increase in BH and regular contractions. Try emptying your bladder as often as possible even if you dont feel like you have to and see if that helps relieve some of them.
#10 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm 15 weeks now and i've been having them for 2-3 weeks now, they started about the same time with my dd too.

Seriously?
#11 of 11 Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 PM

I have been getting BH with a full bladder, orgasm, tiredness and my MW said that it is very common even in early pregnancy. I have been getting them since about 8 weeks and its just a hardness in my uterus. You can usually tell what is causing them and if they become painful to call the MW or doc just to ease your mind.

I went on brethene with my first because I had gone to the docs due to Braxton hicks coming 5-7 times an hour and they said I was going into early labor. I didnt know better then , but now I beleive they were just trying to cover their buts in case it was early labor or they didnt want to send me home and tell me to drink more water and take a break, but I should have just drank more water and taken a bath and nap. I was working alot then and should have listened to my body and taken a break.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page