Signs of preterm labor - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so glad for this thread.

i'm currently 35 weeks and am on bedrest because my cranky uterus is effectively pushing my baby down. guess what i thought were bh were the real deal.

last week i went to the hospital for monitoring and got a bag of fluids and a shot of terbutaline, neither of which "stopped" things but likely slowed them down. this was thursday. in that time, i've gone from 80 to 90% effaced and baby has dropped - fundal height was at 36cm, now at 34, and i've lost my mucous plug. i'm around a fingertip dilated and my mw seems to think that the only reason my baby is still baking is because i have scar tissue on my cervix from some procedures done long ago.

since i've had all of this change in the 4 days between checks, i've been put on prometrium to try and soothe the cramping and contractions. what i would like to know is how long it takes to see any improvement from the progesterone?

and, realistically, what might i be looking at if i have myself a little 35-36 weeker?

TIA!!!

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#62 of 65 Old 01-27-2009, 05:56 PM

My 36w2d DD had no complications and was 6.5 pounds. She had some trouble getting latched on, which could have been for other reasons such as the c-section. Certainly, try for as late as you can, but know your outcome can be good if it doesn't work out that way!

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#63 of 65 Old 01-27-2009, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbelewe View Post
and, realistically, what might i be looking at if i have myself a little 35-36 weeker?
Baby might need a little breathing help, but probably not for very long (maybe a few days or less). Some don't need any help at all, especially once you pass 36 weeks. You may or may not need some time in the NICU, and if you do, it could be a day or two or it could be a week or a little more.

Baby will probably sleep a LOT - moreso than a full term newborn. They tend to "wake up" around their due date and act like a normal newborn at that point (of course some might do it earlier).

Breastfeeding might be a little more challenging at first, but you should be able to overcome it. Some babies have to be woken to feed. And they can sometimes be a little weak in their latch. Just keep at it, and don't be afraid to get help from an LC or LLL leader if you need it. I had an LLL leader at my house when my 29 weeker came home (he was 33.5 weeks gestation at that point). We were using a nipple shield, but you may not need it. I needed help getting OFF the shield, and we were successful at that around 37.5 weeks gestation.

Jaundice is more common in preemies. So don't be surprised if you have to deal with that.

Check the preemie forum for more info.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#64 of 65 Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM

boscopup covered everything I was going to post.

I think the only words of advice I have - and I know it seems like this is stating the obvious - is that your first and only job right now is getting one more week (and when you do that, it's another week, and so on) for your baby. A lot of things get in the way of doing what you need for the pregnancy and the baby. Little, tiny, niggling, annoying things. Trust me. Even if you are on "strict bedrest" there will still be times someone put the phone out of reach or you're lying there on your side with NOTHING to do and nothing in reach, or dp isn't home yet and you're starving and want a snack, and you think, ooh I'll just get up for a sec... well... don't. Plan ahead, and annoint someone your beck-and-call person, and don't do anything other than follow your mw or OB's strict orders.

(and don't forget about the vodka as a last resort... it's actually quite effective )
#65 of 65 Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM

Bumping and re-reading

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page