Glucose Tolerance Test; Glucola test; GTT; Diabetes Test whatever you wanna call it - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did you do the GTT when you were pregnant?
Yes-I want what's best for my baby. 71 43.29%
No-I want what's best for my baby and didn't feel this was it. I used another method. 29 17.68%
No-I want what's best for my baby and didn't feel this was it. I didn't use another method. 59 35.98%
No-it wasn't offered to me or was against my religion. 3 1.83%
I've never been pregnant or carried a pregnancy to the point where I would have bene offered a GTT. 2 1.22%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you take it? Did you refuse it?

Why?

Did you do anything in lieu of it (random finger sticks, monitoring urine, etc?)

To clarify: I'm talking about the one where you fast or eat only low sugar foods, get your blood taken, drink the REALLY sweet drink, and get your blood taken again. Usually lasts 1-5 hours.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I voted that I refused it and used another method. I did random glucose checks after eating what I normally eat in a normal meal, both right after eating, 1 hour, and 3 hours later. I did this once at about 30 weeks, had great results and didn't think about it further. I don't see the point for normal women with no risk factors to do the nasty syrup testing.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#3 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:15 PM

I think you need more options. (Yes, I am annoying like that.)

I did the nasty orange soda test (that's what I call it. ) with my first because I didn't understand that you could refuse things. (Even though I wanted to.) I did it twice even. Once about 10 weeks along and again at about 25-30 weeks (whenever it is generally given). The gynocologist said it had to be done early too because I'm fat. Nice huh? I'm glad I caught on early enough and switched to the groovy midwives instead.

With my second my homebirth midwife really wanted me to do it (again, because of my um... zaftigness) but we did orange juice instead. And then only a fingerprick with a diabetic moniter. It was much more pleasant and I didn't have so much of an issue with it.

So I'm not really sure how to answer the poll. I need an "other".
#4 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:18 PM

I did not do it because I am hypo-glycemic. I did not want to be sent into a blood sugar crash. Because my dh is a juvenile diabetic, we have all of the stuff, so I tested my fasting blood every morning and occasionally 2 hours after a meal. Never had a problem.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#5 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:19 PM

I took it twice. I knew I was at risk for gestational diabetes since regular diabetes runs in my family and I have PCOS (for those who don't know polycystic ovarian syndrome also involves insulin issues). At 12 weeks my levels were just under the limit. By 22 weeks I failed the test and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

The only test I refused was the one that looks for birth defects that has something like a 25% false positive rate. I can't remember if it's the AFP or triple screen? Anyway I knew that I wouldn't be taking any tests like that or the amnio because no matter what the results were i was having my baby
#6 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:22 PM

i took it for several reasons

i want whats best for my baby and my health, and i don't have the equipment at home and its offered free from my doctor
#7 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:22 PM

No I didn't do any gd testing. Considering that outcomes were the same for women who treated or didn't treat gd, I didn't see the point. Not to mention, the test increases the chances a woman will get a c/s, no matter what the result is.

Also, there is no way I would drink that much sugar at once. It would make me sick even without morning sickness.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#8 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:23 PM

i voted yes, but i don't think it is best for the baby

i am going to fight not to do it next time. i don't know if a homebirth is in my future though, i'm not sure what is going to happen. even CNMs are hard core about them
#9 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:27 PM

I didn't take the sugar-drink test because sugar gave me migraines that lasted for weeks, which in turn made me unable to keep anything down. That test would have been dangerous for my baby.

I did the one where they have you eat this very specific breakfast of eggs, toast, juice... , but the baseline is based on this particular breakfast, which I had no trouble eating or passing.

Anyway, it would have been silly to take the test when I basically already was eating the diet they recommend for those with GD.
#10 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:28 PM

My GTT is kind of an embarassing story. The nurse had me drink the sweet yucky stuff when I still had morning sickness. She said just try and chug it. So I did and then I puked all her nice white pants.

We tried again a few months later an everything was fine.

I didnt have an opinion either way.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#11 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
No I didn't do any gd testing. Considering that outcomes were the same for women who treated or didn't treat gd, I didn't see the point. Not to mention, the test increases the chances a woman will get a c/s, no matter what the result is.
:
#12 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I never did the stupid test.

I never even did the u/s.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#13 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I always think of more options after I post the poll
And I sometimes forget that many of you have had more than one pregnancy!

For those of you who did not do the GTT but did use other methods--do you have any links supporting your decisions/reasoning?

Thanks!
Kelly

#14 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:33 PM

I did the test. Maybe because I was really thirsty and it looked like Orange soda.
#15 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:41 PM

I did it with all three of my pregnancies that were carried that far. I have a very high risk because of family history. Plus I am very overweight. I did not have it with my first two. With my last I actually had my test earlier than the midwife normally does it. I knew something was off, I thought it had to do with my baby. After much discussion and prayer I requested a level 2 u/s. My baby had gone from 50% for weight t0 95% in 9 weeks. We did the test and I had gd. I was able ton control it with diet and exercise. If I have other pregnancies I will do the test again.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#16 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 07:43 PM

i took it both times, stupid though... i won't do it again if i ever get pg again.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#17 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:03 PM

It's not routinely offered here (Switzerland) unless you have risk factors or are spilling glucose in your urine. I've never been offered it.
#18 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I drank the "really sweet drink" but I never fasted beforehand.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#19 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i took it because of family history and coz my finger test and pee test was borderline. did it twice!!! YUCK!!! both times borderline. so docs decided to opt against GD. well i should have been treated as GD because my dd was 9 pounds, had to have c/s when she should have been a 7 pd baby (that is what she was at a year - 7x3=21).

with my next child though i will still do it because of high risk family history and if it is still borderline act like i have GD.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#20 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

You "needed" a c-sect for a 9lb baby?

#21 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:27 PM

My midwife doesn't routinely offer the test. I did see an OB twice during my pregnancy to establish myself as a patient just in case of a transfer to the hospital...I politely declined when he offered the test. He didn't say anything else or seem one bit fazed- I think he sees a lot of us homebirthers. He probably would've been surprised if I had agreed to the test, LOL.

I did not do any other form of blood sugar monitoring.
#22 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Darn, where's the choice for "I did it but regret it?"

I flunked the 1 hour test (where i didn't fast, drank the yucky flat orange soda in the office and had a blood test at the end of the visit.) Then they "made me" take the 3 hour GTT where I had to fast, drink nasty lemon/lime flat soda, and have my blood drawn every hour. I flunked that test too and they "made me" go on a special diet and do blood glucose tests 4X a day.

Smart me did the glucose tests before changing my diet. I was doing fine. After a while I stopped testing and just filled in the chart with realistic numbers so they wouldn't harrass me about it. I honestly believe that my blood sugar was only out of control twice the entire pregnancy- when I had to take those stupid glucose tests. After ONE SIP of the glucose solution I knew the stuff didn't agree with me and I wouldn't have had more than that if I hadn't felt compelled to complete the tests.

If I ever have another baby, I won't go through the stupid GTT again.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#23 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee
i took it because of family history and coz my finger test and pee test was borderline. did it twice!!! YUCK!!! both times borderline. so docs decided to opt against GD. well i should have been treated as GD because my dd was 9 pounds, had to have c/s when she should have been a 7 pd baby (that is what she was at a year - 7x3=21).

with my next child though i will still do it because of high risk family history and if it is still borderline act like i have GD.

9 pounds is not big. It is considered a healthy birth weight by every ob/mw I know. Definitely not a reason for c/s. There is no way to know that she should have been 7 pounds, no matter what she weighed at a year. Those triple the weight by a year recommendations are based on old data, formula fed babies, and are not a rule.

#24 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I took it in my first pregnancy, tried to avoid it in my second because they made it seem optional. The nurse freaked out when I didn't have it done, so I went and had it done for their peace of mind.
#25 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee
well i should have been treated as GD because my dd was 9 pounds, had to have c/s when she should have been a 7 pd baby (that is what she was at a year - 7x3=21).

I honestly don't think their weight as a year is supposed to be an exact proportion of what they would have weighed at birth had you not had GD. Is that what your doctor is telling you? Not all babies double or triple their birthweights at the same age.
#26 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 08:54 PM

Yeah my baby doubled her birthweight before six months, and has just about tripled her birth weight now at 21 months.

#27 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 09:00 PM

I did it because, a) I think the orange soda stuff is yummy and b) it meant I had an excuse to sit someplace by myself for an hour and read a book in peace and quiet

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#28 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
Yeah my baby doubled her birthweight before six months, and has just about tripled her birth weight now at 21 months.
Neither of mine had quite doubled their birth weight by a year. They were larger at birth, gained quickly in the beginning, and slowed way down as their birthdays got closer. My 2 year old hasn't quite tripled her birthweight yet, I don't think.
#29 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I took it during my pregnancy with DS because I didn't know I could refuse it. I felt like crap after drinking it, I'm not doing it this time around unless I show signs of GD.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#30 of 119 Old 12-27-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug & BabyBug
I took it during my pregnancy with DS because I didn't know I could refuse it. I felt like crap after drinking it, I'm not doing it this time around unless I show signs of GD.
Well, the second time I did it, I didn't sit quietly, but instead walked around the hospital and outside.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page