Anyone get pregnant while nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is almost 5 months old and I may be pregnant again. I need some advice. Has anyone gotten pregnant while nursing? I need to know how and when I can tell if I am. I have had cramps, bloating, nausea and hot flashes randomly for the past week. I may have conceived on Dec 14th or 15th. I have not been getting my period as I've been nursing exclusively so I'm not sure when to check or how to tell if I may be pregnant. I think that it could just be my first period after the birth but I'm not sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

:

Erin ~ Vegetarian AP SAHM to DS1 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(Kevin age 8) ,  DS2 bikenew.gif(Dylan age 6) and  (Lauren born 11/19/13) babygirl.gif. Loving wife to Ken luxlove.gifmy soulmate. We are a nak.gifcd.gif, and slingboy.gif family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 10:29 PM

I did when ds was 9 mos, I hadn't even had a AF yet
But, we weren't really doing anything to prevent it and we knew we wanted one more. My ds self weaned then too.
I wasn't exclusively bf'ing though at that point.
Ecological BF is pretty effective form of birthcontrol with the return of AF avg'ing around 14 mos. Maybe it's something else...when can you test.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure when I can test. I don't have a period to miss to wait for yet. I was thinking of waiting until it had been 4 weeks to see if the test would come out positive. I just don't want to get a negative and have it be false. I really appreciate the advice. I know it's possible that I'm pregnant but I'm hoping that nature's built in birth control is working its magic right now. I do want another child just not right now. If I am pregnant I will certainly love the baby but boy oh boy are things going to take a crazy turn. I'm getting married in June. I'll be 6 months pregnant in my wedding gown. YIKES!

Erin ~ Vegetarian AP SAHM to DS1 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(Kevin age 8) ,  DS2 bikenew.gif(Dylan age 6) and  (Lauren born 11/19/13) babygirl.gif. Loving wife to Ken luxlove.gifmy soulmate. We are a nak.gifcd.gif, and slingboy.gif family.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:24 PM

I found out I was pregnant 4 months after my oldest was born. I was exclusively pumping full-time and on a low-dose BC pill. It's definitely possible. Because I wasn't having periods yet, I tested once each week, because I sure felt it!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:30 PM

At 15 months, DS was nursing day and night, and I had no periods at all, and I got pregnant. I also got pregnant when dd was 1 year old, still no menstruation and I was tandem nursing...
Old 12-28-2005, 12:20 AM

I got PG at 16 mo with a very frequent night nurser but I did get my AF at 5 mo PP. I didn't realize I was PG until 6-7 wks. I thought that I'd gotten AF but it must a been implantation bleeding. DS made faces when nursing. I was nauseated and very fatigued.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:23 AM

I've gotten AF back 6 months after birth while bfing exclusively, twice. And my mom always said (still says) ovulation happens before AF shows up. So 5 months is definitely not out of the question.

I would think you can test after about two weeks. If you know when you might have conceived, home tests are usually positive after 10-16 days or so, so you could start testing anytime. When I thought I was pregnant I started testing 8 days after suspecting ovulation, and got a + on day 10. But I am a psycho crazy tester, and was peeing on a stick twice a day! (I really wanted to know if I was pregnant.)

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:41 AM

Yep I got pregnant when ds was 15 months old. He was still a very frequent nurser. He still nurses in fact, just slowed down now that all the milkies went by by.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:46 AM

I became pregnant with this baby while nursing Ethan... he was 18 mo old at the time. But we were TTC, and I had had three periods.

Why not call your doc and have them fax in a HCG level blood test? Even if you are just a few days after ovulation you can test positive (I think around 8-10 days is the minimum).
Old 12-28-2005, 12:56 AM

Yup. Couldn't figure out why Anna was biting and pulling away at the breast at 9 months. Turned out I was pg and my milk supply was waning.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:07 AM

Yep, same here. Ds was 8 months old, I was still b/f, even though not exclusively anymore, but several times at night, and was on the low dose progestin only bc pill. I think this baby really wants to have a big brother I had had af, but very irreguarly, about 6 weeks apart, starting about 8 or 10 weeks after ds's birth, no matter what I was "supposed" to do by the pill pack. So there was no real telling whether I was pg or not, because there was no predicting when af was going to show up. But I suspected I might be and started testing, and after about a week, and lots of $ spent on hometests, it came back positive. Still a shock! Getting more used to the idea, now that I'm getting kicked from in and outside
Old 12-28-2005, 01:11 AM

You can definitely test 20 days after you believe you may have concieved. Early tests may show a positive, but you can believe a negative after 20 days (as long as you didn't have intercourse unprotected in that time).

It's also possible your period is coming. Lots of moms think their first post-partum PMS is pregnancy symptoms. Lots of times that first period is a doozy, with a whiny, cranky baby from the milk changes, cramps, heavier bleeding and more days of PMS.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 AM

Yep! My oldest was 10 weeks old when I conceived again (twins, no less). I was exclusively nursing my daughter, too. I ended up losing one of the twins halfway through the pregnancy and then my son was born prematurely, so my oldest two kids are 10.5 months apart in age. It wasn't too difficult, actually, and they're the best of friends now (at ages 14 and 13).

Good luck to you! I hope you get the answer (BFP or BFN) that you want.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:28 AM

I would go ahead and test now, some tests can pick up on pregnancy this early.

I'm nursing and about 4ish weeks pregnant, but my babe is 17 months old, so no longer exclusively nursing.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 AM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Wow, a lot of people have gotten pg quickly after birth. I also got pg while nursing, but I was nursing toddlers, so it was far from exclusive! You can get AF without ovulating, but once you ovulate you better get AF or you are pg.

However, I wanted to mention that SEVERAL times I thought I might be pg in the first year of nursing. I don't know what was going on really, hormone fluxuations??? I wasted a lot of money on tests. With dd1 AF came back at 13 months, with dd2 AF came back at 22 months.

Cheap tests are available at the dollar store (so I've heard) and they are fairly sensitive.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 12-28-2005, 05:19 AM

I am 13 weeks and still nursing ds. He was 1 on Dec. 12th. It can happen, its happened to me a few times
Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK
Wow, a lot of people have gotten pg quickly after birth. I also got pg while nursing, but I was nursing toddlers, so it was far from exclusive! You can get AF without ovulating, but once you ovulate you better get AF or you are pg.

However, I wanted to mention that SEVERAL times I thought I might be pg in the first year of nursing. I don't know what was going on really, hormone fluxuations??? I wasted a lot of money on tests. With dd1 AF came back at 13 months, with dd2 AF came back at 22 months.

Cheap tests are available at the dollar store (so I've heard) and they are fairly sensitive.

Amy
I had those symptoms too! I think it was AF gearing up to return off and on... but she didn't until ds was 13 months old. I am very sure I did not ovulate before AF returned and I may have had a couple of annovulatory cycles and then when I knew I was ovulating I had short luteal phase for a few more months. So it was awhile before I could have supported a pg.

I have gotten pg twice while breastfeeding, but the kiddos were 18 months and 27 months.

Ironically, I seem to have more "pg" symptoms with PMS than an actual pregnancy.

Let us know if you test- I found out this time that the Dollar General Store tests were just as good or better than my beloved e.p.t. tests and much cheaper!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 PM

I know several mamas you got pg while nursing an infant.

Let us know!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:16 PM

I bought all my hpgt at dollartree. They were very sensitive. I test on the day that I should have gotten my AF and got a BFP and on the day before I should have seen AF and got a BFP. Plus they're only a dollar!

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 12-28-2005, 02:51 PM

I'm nursing my 2 year old DS and am about 4 weeks pregnant. I imagine that it will get more painful, but we've gone through the thrush from hell, so I thikn I can handle anything at this point.

Goodluck.

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
Old 12-28-2005, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 15 month old and am 11 weeks pregnant with #2.

Another vote for the $ Tree tests - mine picked up this pregnancy at 11 dpo.

Keep us updated when you test!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 12-28-2005, 03:57 PM

certainly. Baby #1 was 5 1/2 months old when Baby #2 was conceived. Baby #1 just weaned at age 3, but baby #2 is 23 months old and still nursing and I'm pregnant again. Better age distribution this time though!

- krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 12-28-2005, 06:01 PM

It's happend to me twice but not within the first few months of giving birth. My son was 15 months when my daughter was conceived (still nursing a lot) and my daugter was 21 months when this baby was conceived. She is still not weaned.

:

User Tag List