herbs for depression during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2005, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
at 5.5 months pregnant, i'm going through a divorce. no reason really to explain, but no, it is not a rash decision, we actually split up last year, thought maybe we'd give it another go and got pregnant in the process. we thought we could handle it, but apparently not. so that i keep some thread of my sanity, i'm moving to a new place in a couple of weeks. needless to say, i'm extremely depressed. the thought of having a new baby without my partner makes me cry just even to think about it. i'm exercising whenever i can, spending time with friends, but my partner is completely physically and emotionally absent already and i'm just simply depressed. i read in susan weed's "herbs of the childbearing year" that you can take motherwort for depression, but i have also read that motherwort can induce labor in other books. wondering if anyone has any experience with this? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 03:04 PM

I don't know of any herbs, but I have been reading about/trying EFT lately to help me get past the one year anniversary of my baby son's death. Obviously a very stressful emotional thing to cope with. I really didn't think EFT could work, it just seems so "out there" butthen again, it's completely non-invasive, it's free, it takes only a minute to try it... so even if it didn't help there was no harm in trying it, right? Well, it seems to have made a difference. I still feel sad, but I don't have the same tight feeling in my chest, and I don't feel as overwhelmed and like I can't function.

the website is http://www.emofree.com and you can download the manual on how to do it for FREE. Once you read over it (the entire thing is only 87 pages including the title page and index) the instructions are very simple. The biggest hurdle to get over is how weird it sounds. You don't even have to believe it will work, just follow the directions. Sometimes it takes a couple cycles through, but it really does help! I hope it brings you some relief!

Kathryn
Old 12-30-2005, 04:59 PM

You're right, don't take motherwort until you are at least 37 weeks, and even then it's better to have on hand for labor. Safe herbs you can take for depression/sadness are: lavender, chamomile, peppermint, lemonbalm, and oatstraw. I'd make a tea of some or all of them. You can also put the herbs in your bath.

Try to get some Rescue Remedy flower essence too, for when you are feeling particularly upset. I hope this gets easier for you, mama.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 12-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Bump up your B vitamins also. Women who are pregnant and nursing are low on B vitamins. Incidentally, people with depression also tend to be low in B vitamins. I added a B complex in with my regular prenatal after talking to my HCP. You can also add low dose Zinc to help with anxiety if that is an issue for you. Talk to your doctor about the dosage because I don't remember what I used last time.

Best of luck, I hope things look up for you soon.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:48 AM

There are lots of things you can do during pregnancy...Inositol, 5-HTP, B vitamins, EFA's. You are going to be best served by finding someone who can help you navigate the waters safely though. For instance, I know 5-HTP is sometimes contraindicated in pregnancy, but there is a specific way to take it where it's safe. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:34 PM

5-HTP is what I take.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 01-02-2006, 06:18 PM

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions, but as I went through pretty severe PPD with my 1st, I can sorta relate...
Big hugs to you and best wishes for sunnier days ahead.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :

User Tag List