Weird Symptom...kinda scarey.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-23-2003, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last 2 nights this has happened. Around 5-6 pm, after supper, I suddenly get very light headed. I feel stange all over, but mostly in my head. I can carry on a conversation, but I forget what I said immediatly after saying it and am often surprised to find myself talking. I try to go to bed and it lasts about an hour, maybe a bit more. I don't think it can be low blood sugar considering that we just ate and it does go away after I lie down for awhile....any ideas?
#2 of 6 Old 01-23-2003, 11:50 AM
XM

Talk to your midwife... but my first guess is that your body is just adjusting to the new pregnancy and that's doing funny things when you have a shift in blood sugar? I know in the 1st tri of both my pregnancies, sometimes I would have *really* strange things like this happen that defied any of the assessments in my books. Plus, you already have 3 little ones... is it possible that more sleep would help?

I would love to hear what other mamas have to say... but talk to your MW... she'd know the questions to ask to rule out any problems.

XM
#3 of 6 Old 01-23-2003, 11:59 AM

Are you having any nausea?? Perhaps it is your blood sugar levels raisig after being low all day.. I know that can make you feel weird and light headed...

It could also maybe be low bp.. The last time i went to my OB my bp was 92/58... I figuire between my nausea and my bp being lower either or both of those could account for my dizzy spells and feelings of disconnectedness from my body..

I agree with XM though, you should always tell your medical practicioner anytime you have anything going on that concerns you...

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#4 of 6 Old 01-23-2003, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

"disconectedness"-what a perfect way to describe it...it kinda feels like I am talking into to tin can....
#5 of 6 Old 01-23-2003, 01:03 PM

Tree..
i am an er nurse, where half the patients that come do not need to! silly stuff....

but, because i see the worst, my advice to you would be call your doctor. i mean, what if this happened while you were driving? its not normal for you to feel like you are talking into a tin can.
could be a lot of things or nothing.
#6 of 6 Old 01-23-2003, 11:57 PM

I can't judge how bad it is of course, but it's quite normal to feel a bit lightheaded after a meal. Your blood is going to your gut to help digest the food, which means there's less left for your brain. Once the food is digesting, everything goes back to normal. i imagine that, with part of your blood already being redirected to your reproductive system, this "digestion" work could just leave your brain a little underattended at that time, but it should get better once your blood supply adapts to the pregnancy by increasing.

My dh just calls it the "after-dinner slump." He has it pretty bad

Have you had your iron checked? Anemia could make it worse.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page