is raw honey safe to eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...if anyone can recommend a good book about safe foods & herbs, supplements during pregnancy, I would be grateful.

For now I'm wondering about:

raw honey
raw milk
peanut butter (cause allergies for baby?)
vit C - higher doses during colds - heard not good can cause scurvy in baby?
probiotic supplement - I take the 'Garden of Life' brand.
chlorella
cod liver oil - is the vitamin A content in it too much?

thanks

(I'm really trying to think of ways to prevent allergies for next baby. My dd has them & I think I could have done better prenatally for her.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 04:29 PM

as far as the foods, i believe they are all safe to consume. I eat them now and am nursing, and know many people that have been one raw food while pregnant.

And if you know that your dd has allergies, you may want to lay off the pb, i have read they can develop allergies in the womb.
#3 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 PM

I have always heard that honey wasn't good during pregnancy or for infants under 1. I can't remember why though. Something in it cause some kind of disease or something...Not much help sorry
#4 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 PM

I've been eating high quality raw honey all during my pregnancy. It's a wildflower honey that's supposed to expose us to the natural flowers in the area, so I figured that was a good way to expose/sensitize me and the baby to the local flowers and prevent allergies. I think only babies aren't supposed to have honey because of the botulism risk to them.

I switched from peanut to almond butter because there seems to be a big question mark on whether peanut exposure during pregnancy makes the baby more susceptible. Plus I think it's even yummier!

They will say not to drink raw milk on the "guidelines" but some people do, especially aged raw cheeses. I guess it's up to you and how clean your source milk is KWIM?

Probiotics are great. I"ve been taking cod liver oil, but I cut down to 1 tsp a day "just in case" of vitamin A overdose. You can switch to fish oil capsules too which don't have much vitamin A. Studies have shown greater IQs in children whose parents had sufficient omega-3s during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

(Sorry I am too busy/distracted to look up links but there are lots of opinions out there on what to eat/take or not during pregnancy if you do a search, some of it even conflicting. Do what you feel comfortable with after you research it... Hope that helps!)

-Kelly
#5 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

oops
#6 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all - I have been taking all the things I've mentioned right now, (will ttc next month) but wasn't sure how they might affect the baby. Unfortunately, I wasn't careful at all with dd prenatally - was just beginning to make a greater commitment to a better diet at the time. She has type 1 allergies so her dr. advised not to give her peanut butter or she could develop a peanut allergy, which is lethal. Luckily, we had always given her almond butter anyway.
#7 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 03:22 PM

I am wondering the same thing. I LOVE our raw local honey but just thought about botulism (sp?) but read that adults have the bacteria to get rid of botulism spores, infants do not.

Not sure if that is a good enpugh answer for me YK??
#8 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

I know, I think it helps me with my seasonal allergies to eat raw local honey, I thought maybe the benefit could be passed to a baby during pregnancy... I'll try and google it one of these days when I have more time...
#9 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 05:24 PM

What I've read and been told repeatedly:

Babies under age one lack the ability to process out spores found in honey and can get botulism and die from it. Do NOT administer to children under the age of one. As I understand it is safe to eat during pregnancy though because your body can filter out the spores. But I'm not 100% sure on this -- and have had an aversion to honey since getting pg, so please ask your health care provider.

While pregnant, do not drink raw milk nor any dairy that is unpasteurized, please. Nor any deli meats either. These all can contain listeria, a bacteria that causes abdominal discomforts in non-pg people but can cause miscarriage in pregnant women. The bacteria is ONLY killed by heat (steaming hot) -- it can live in the refrigerator. Some people avoid soft cheeses, even if pasteurized, as they can harbor the bacteria if stored with deli meats, etc. I'm one of those people. Hard cheeses are fine so long as they are pasteurized. If something is NOT pasteurized it has to have a label on it, at least in my state. But don't assume there are protections in place when it comes to food.

Do not eat mayonnaise nor caesar salad dressing. These are both made with RAW eggs. The ingredients will say simply "Eggs" but they are raw. Some dressings no longer use eggs, but most restaurants do. I only eat the mayo that's in my fridge and then only rarely. I never eat it from anywhere else because a pregnant woman's system is way more sensitive than a non-pg one's and room temp mayo can be very problematic.

Probiotics are fine.

Make sure your cod liver oil is free of mercury and other heavy metals, please. How much Vit A is in it? Do not take an additional Vitamin A supplement with it if there's over 4000 UI, I'd guess.

BUT beta carotene-sourced "Vitamin A" is fine as it is not actually Vitamin A to begin with. It is turned into Vit A in your body and if you already have a lot of Vit A in your system, the beta carotene remains innocuous.(Like calcium -- your body can only absorb so much at a time so anything extra gets flushed out.)

But there's a difference between vege-source beta carotene and meat-source Vit A, so use caution there.

HTH!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#10 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 05:35 PM

Cont:

I have never used chlorella but definitely would not while pg, as it's a detoxifier and you do not want to be flushing your system (no laxatives either -- stool softeners are okay though) at this point, since it can send out some good with the bad.

The added progesterone of pregnancy slows everything down so your body can absorb as much as it needs from every bit of nutrient there is. You don't want to take anything that could interfere with that.

They say that you don't have to worry about not eating very well either at first since your body is using stockpiles and stores of nutrients (a good thing if mornign sickness is a problem) but if you have been consistently on a detox system, like chlorella, then there is a CHANCE those stores are not as full.

I'm not trying to put down chlorella, but I'd imagine it's like aloe or any other cleanser -- just not recommended during pregnancy.

As for peanuts, I haven't avoided peanut butter terrribly during the last few months, but had a horrible aversion first trimester. There is documentation that children who eat peanut products at an early age can develop later food allergies, but I've also read similar things about pregnant women eating shelfish during pregnancy and having food-allergy-prone kids.

So in my book, that one's a personal choice and up to you. If you feel safe feeding your child peanuty things, go for it. If not, don't.

EDITED: Because I can spell I just can't type.

#11 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Vitamin C in high doses is fine. Read the work of Dr Klinner, he treated a lot of preggo woman with C.

Also read this http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorba...v8-n4-p229.htm Its a long read but well worth it IMO

I drink raw milk and have for 2 of my 3 pregnancies. If raw milk was bad then we wouldnt be here today. Consider all the woman in your family who drank raw milk through the centuries.

I also use raw honey though I don’t give it to my children till they are a year +

I eat mayo
#12 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a
I drink raw milk and have for 2 of my 3 pregnancies. If raw milk was bad then we wouldnt be here today. Consider all the woman in your family who drank raw milk through the centuries.
Yes but then again were their toxins coarsing through the milk back then? Nasty chemicals in the soil, grass, rain and feed? Even if you feed your own goat/cow all organic foods, you have no control over the crap that falls from the sky, nor the bacteria that comes up from the soil.

I so would not consume any raw animal products these days. Even the organic milk I buy is pasteurized.

But it took me years to get pregnant. I'm not about to do anything to potentially harm this baby. That's just me.

#13 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 08:41 PM

What about spirulina?
#14 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenore80
What about spirulina?
It's been years since I've used this but from what I recall, it is a good source of beta carotene (and therefore Vit A), and it has fatty acids/oils in it too yes? So good source of protein. I'd imagine it's fine. But always best to ask your health care provider if you're unsure.

Someone else with more experience with spirulina might have a better answer though.

#15 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 09:36 PM

Funny, but I would strongly advise any pregnant woman that raw milk is much safer to drink than pasteurized.Here's a link to a Mercola article that contains this quote:

"Once milk is heated (pasteurized), the very perishable proteins it contains (primarily casein) can be irreversibly altered to change its shape to one that will actually promote disease, food sensitivities, intolerance and autoimmune disease."

And one more quote from this article:
"Except for a brief hiatus in 1990, raw milk has always been for sale commercially in California, usually in health food stores, although I can remember a period when it was even sold in grocery stores. Millions of people consumed commercial raw milk during that period and although the health department kept an eagle eye open for any possible evidence of harm, not a single incidence was reported. During the same period, there were many instances of contamination in pasteurized milk, some of which resulted in death." (emphasis added)

My extremely healthy babe is 4 weeks old, and I drank organic raw milk and ate raw cheese just about every day during my pregnancy, for the purpose of enhancing his health. I would never consume a pasteurized dairy product for fear of harming health, actually.

Oh, and to address your other questions, after doing careful research, I also ate raw honey (the prohibition is for post-natal babies), Garden of Life probiotics and cod liver oil, and peanut butter, although I can understand someone wanting to avoid pb. I don't know about the other foods/supplements you mentioned.

Whatever choice you make, do it with all your heart. If you eat something and worry the whole time whether it's good for you and baby or not, then that worrying itself can be harmful.
#16 of 17 Old 01-16-2006, 09:52 PM

I agree with allnaturalmama If you are going to consume cow's milk (or goat's milk- whatever) it should we organic, raw (preferably from pasture fed cows) and from a very reputable source. I don't think it should play a major part in your diet though. After all, cow's milk is meant for baby cows We don't really consume any dairy, soy or peanut products in our house because of dd's allergies (dairy, soy, sesame, walnuts, eggplant, pears and who knows what else) and family history of allergies (lots of them). I keep craving peanut butter though : and I know I can't have it!

About Vit C, my MIL took extra vitamin C daily (up to 1g a day usually) while pregnant with my DH. He is a very healthy person and rarely gets sick I think she read about the work of Dr. Klinner or some other doctor who advocates Vit C like that. I take a packet of Emergen-C (1g Vit C) a couple times a week while pregnant. If I'm sick I take 2 per day which my midwives said is great. I feel better when taking it than I ever have before in my life.

Probiotics are great during pregnancy as you can be more prone to UTIs and yeast infections. I've found I actually have to take them daily (I've never had to before) to keep my healthy bacteria in check. If I quit taking them then I get UTI symptoms within a week.

Cod liver oil- I know alot of mamas on here take it and have very healthy babies I take plain Fish oil supplement capsules from Spectrum naturals instead though because liquid Cod liver oil smells gross to me (although it doesn't have the same vitamin D that would probably be good for you). I just wouldn't take alot of it because vitamins A, D, E and K are all fat soluble, meaning that they can be stored in your body and become toxic if you take in extreme amounts.

If you asked about alot of these things on a mainstream type of board, you'd probably get VERY different answers than what many believe here

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#17 of 17 Old 01-17-2006, 11:50 PM

I've been consuming raw dairy, CLO and raw honey since ds was about 2 years old, and I am continuing to do so with this pregnancy. I know the farmers I get my dairy and meat from.

As far as allergies, I just heard that there is strong suspicion that food allergies these days are caused or exacerbated by the lack of probiotics, or rather, lacto-fermented foods in our diets during pregnancy and throughout life. I have no links for this, though. Anyone? Anyway, I plan to start making kimchi and sauerkraut ASAP! But just to be safe I won't eat *too* much peanut butter. I think some people rely on it for morning sickness (protein) and that would be risky, maybe?

User Tag List