best prenatal vitamin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2003, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to send dh to the store to get me some vitamins--I just found out last night that I'm pregnant!! I can't remember what I took the first time around....anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2003, 01:19 PM

A lot of people like Rainbow...and I've heard they now have a 1-a-day forumla instead of the 6 (!) previously...I used nature's something...yellow label...liked them. Solgar...ok but the coating made me sick after awhile..
Old 01-25-2003, 08:33 PM

I'm taking the twinlabs brand of prenatals. I like them because they aren't stinky & they are capsules ~vs~ materials held together with binders. My midwife asked me not to take the one a day prenatals because they might not have everything in them that you need everyday & that it is best to get the extra nutrients a couple times a day instead of just once. Particularly like calcium, which is better absorbed at night. I also like to supplement my pre-natals with some nice nutritious herbs & herb teas. Herbs like parsley, alfalfa, red raspberry leaf, mint, chamomile, are full of very assimilatable calcium & trace minerals. Do a goggle search for twinlabs prenatals. There's a great site that has them for wholesale prices. I got a 2 month supply for 35.00 including shipping.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much!
Old 01-25-2003, 11:06 PM

I personally like New Chapter "Perfect Prenatals" sold at the health food store as it is made with all plants so that if you don't need a certain vitamin or mineral your body flushes it as opposed to the synthetic vitamins which can get to toxic levels in your system. I also like to get lots of great iron and calcium herbs in my system during prenancy and also do a liver flush with dandelion and nettles through pregnancy. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2003, 11:08 PM

I like Vitanica.

But, I do take 6 a day, 2 per meal. My philosphy, I prefer that over 1 a day because it spreads the nutrition over the day. Some nutrients just can't be absorbed at every meal and get eliminated, so taking a few at intervals insures that more gets in there steadily.

I noticed a lot of that prescrption stuff, besides being expensive and giant or yucky tasting, as a lot of fillers, poor balance of nutrients and a lot of preservatives. I think a lot of the stuff in the HFS is more healthy because at least they seem to understand nutrition.

cheers,

Lori
Old 01-26-2003, 12:17 AM

I like the Rainbow light -with the 6 pills. I had terrible morning sickness in the beginning and switched to r.l. and was able to keep them down when my other prenatal made me sick. I also like having 6 and taking them over the course of the day.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:38 AM

I have kidney problems, and since vitamins are so rough on the kidneys, espeically pregnant kidneys, I only took the Floridix with Iron plus herbs liquid. It is a vegetarian supplement, ferrous gluconate instead of ferrous sulfate which is way harsh, and yummy ( to me). You keep it in the fridge and it is great for preventing anemia. [As a vegetarian wanting a homebirth I was especially conscious of this!]

Congrats!

User Tag List