Help! I drank before I knew I was pregnant. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2006, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I just realized I'm probably pregnant, but before I knew, I drank 2 nights in a row. I had a few drinks one night and then probably 5 or 6 (over a period of 7 hours) on New Year's Eve. I don't know why I did it - I guess because it took me a year to get pregnant last time, and I didn't want to go through all that "abstaining" which I felt like added to my stress and my inability to get pregnant last time.

But now I feel TERRIBLE and I feel like I have morning sickness but I think it's just that I have a stomach ache from worry. Does anyone have any info on drinking in the first week or two after conception? My sister says her doctor says the baby isn't even hooked up to your blood supply during this time, but that makes no sense to me.

Help!

Mammatus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 08:25 PM

Before the baby implants, it's just sort of floating around in the "space" of your body. It's not hooked up to your blood supply at all!!! Now I do believe that a mama's general health can affect her baby at this stage, but not specific behavior in those two weeks. Trust me, I've done a lot of research on the subject! Just put the bottle up now and you'll be totally fine!!! Congratulations.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:27 PM

I did too.... i think most people do! The thing about not being hooked up has to do with how long it takes the placenta to get working. I've heard 2 weeks. I wouldnt worry about it one bit.

oh, and CONGRATS!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:29 PM

I'm sorry you're worried. It's probably fine. I didn't realize I was pg until I was 6 weeks along and I'd had at least 10 glasses of wine since I conceived, one night a total of 3 when I was 3 weeks along. I felt bad, but decided not to worry since there wasn't anything I could and I'd heard so many similar stories from friends and their babies were fine. Had my u/s today and all looks totally fabulous.

Congrats! Enjoy your pregnancy.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
Old 01-11-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSG
I'm sorry you're worried. It's probably fine. I didn't realize I was pg until I was 6 weeks along and I'd had at least 10 glasses of wine since I conceived, one night a total of 3 when I was 3 weeks along. I felt bad, but decided not to worry since there wasn't anything I could and I'd heard so many similar stories from friends and their babies were fine. Had my u/s today and all looks totally fabulous.

Congrats! Enjoy your pregnancy.
Same here, exactly. I have moments of sorrow about it, but there's absolutely no way to undo what's done, and stressing about it doesn't help anybody. The important thing now is to look forward.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
Old 01-12-2006, 12:13 AM

I did the same thing at the very beginning of my pg with my second child. I had no idea I was pg and we were in Europe with friends and out for a few nights in a row and drinking not a crazy amount, but definitely more than usual. My dd turned out just fine. I really think it's ok, especially since you'll abstain now that you know.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:15 AM

This is pretty redundant, but me too! I had more to drink than I've had in ages, before I knew I was pg with my daughter (we were having a party...it was about a week later when I finally figured out I was pg instead of just having an extremely late period... ). My best friend also helped me down quite a bit of alcohol on New Year's Eve of 99/2000, and she was two or three weeks at the time and didn't know yet. Our kids are both perfectly fine.

As for the "blood supply" thing--the fertilized egg actually takes a couple or three weeks before it implants in the uterine wall. Until then, it's still "independent" of you. Your sister is right. So relax and enjoy your pregnancy! Oh, and congrats!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:15 AM

Don't worry about it I think it happens a lot.

I haven't had a drink since my wedding in September. We went over to our friends' house the night after New Years and he kept pouring me wine saying, "You're so funny when you drink! Have MORE!" So I kept drinking not knowing that he kept REFILLING...I had probably 6-7 glasses of wine. Oops! Then 3 days later I found out I was pregnant. Uh oh!

I think your baby will be just fine! No major organs are developing this early...it's all about cell division!

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
Old 01-12-2006, 01:46 AM

Like other pp said, Don't Worry! You have 14-18 days (depending on when implantation occurs) after conception before anything you do can remotely effect your baby.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 01-12-2006, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, everyone. I haven't been able to sleep for 2 days because I've been so worried! I knew I shouldn't worry but I think I needed to "discuss" and I haven't told anyone IRL that I'm pregnant (except dh and he doesn't know much about development). I actually couldn't have been more than 9 days past conception when I drank - I think I was mostly feeling bad because I did drink some vodka and some brandy and for some reason I've always thought those were worse than "soft alcohol" like wine and beer, though I've never known why I thought this. Does anyone know if hard liquor is worse?

Those of you who know about the baby not implanting until later, etc., could you give me some links? I have done a little research but haven't come up with much. Book recommendations are also welcome.

Don't worry - I won't have another drop after going through this (not that I would have anyway, I'm sure - I *normally* air on the side of caution.)

It just sucks because this worry/guilt is affecting my ability to be excited to tell people. . . I've decided to wait to tell people until I've dealt with my emotions. . .

Thanks again - and more input is more than welcome!

Mammatus
Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 AM

Oh my heavens, if you could've seen me early on in both my pregnancies, you'd feel like a teetotaling saint in comparison! And my kid, now 2.5, is smart as a whip and adorable to boot and in all respects just perfect. (<---unbiased opinion, that! ) Same thing this time around, although I'm 37 weeks and have yet to actually meet DD, but I'm sure she's perfect too.

So add my voice to the chorus of people telling you not to worry too much about it. Relax and enjoy your pregnancy -- focus on what you can do now to make your body as healthy as possible and provide the best environment for your little one. Congratulations!

~Nick
Old 01-12-2006, 02:47 PM

Just chiming in, don't worry! I had several drinks around Christmas (2 weeks post conception) with my first baby. Probably 3 one night, a lot for me. No problems. I think it is more when you do it nightly over a period of time that it is an issue.

Please put your mind at ease. Also, as others mentioned, the baby for quite some time (I believe well over a month) gets its nutrition from the wall of the uterus. Even if the placenta comes on line, it still only provides a little nutrition at first. I just read this in an anatomy/physiognomy (sp?) text a few weeks ago.

It's still best to avoid everything once you know you're preg., but I have never heard any baby being effected by moderate drinking prior to realizing your pregnant.

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Don't worry. I got plastered about three days before I found out I was pregnant (an early birthday celebration, I found out I was pregnant the day before my 21st birthday!) My daughter is perfectly healthy!

Mama of three.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:44 PM

there are windows of time when it is especially bad to drink, so maybe your OB can show you that chart?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:47 PM

Same here with #1. Not a big issue. Just back off it now that you know. You and the babe will be just fine.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 PM

Mama,
I was in early pregnancy (about 2 weeks along) when my ex-hubby and I took a trip to Laughlin, NV and had major happy hour at the Colorado Belle.
I had 3-4 Coronas that night and a few shots of tequila to boot
Ironically, I never drink now
Needless to say, my son is just fine. I think a regular habit is prone to due more harm than an instance.
And yes...before the baby implants, you are not sharing a blood supply.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:41 PM

What everyone else said. The placenta hasn't formed yet, so your baby isn't being exposed to the stuff in your bloodstream. It's okay.

User Tag List