Heart-shaped uterus (bicornate) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2003, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On Tuesday, my SIL delivered her first child, a beautiful boy, by c-section. Born at 36 weeks' gestation, he is a preemie.

His malpresentation (complete breech) and early arrival have been attributed to her uterus, which is heart-shaped.

I'm looking for general info on this condition. Anyone with a heart-shaped uterus vaginally deliver a breech baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2003, 02:03 AM

I have a heart shaped uterus that is also tipped so far back it is almost horizontal!!!

Our 1st ds was a c-section because of breech, and that is when we found out the reason he was breech was because my uterus is heart shaped.. THe OB who did the c/s said if they don't flip early in my case they won't be able to because there is not enough room in there for them to do it with the 2 chambers instead of one... That said, my ds2 was not breech, and we did have him vaginally abeit with a forcept delivery.. He was just a bit to big for my body, and was born with a broken collarbone...

Ds 1 was 7lbs 9 oz.. Ds2 was 8 lbs 13 oz.. We are now pg with dc3 and i am scared to death of how big this one will turn out!!!!

Just because a uterus is heart shaped doesn't mean you can't have a vaginal delivery.. I don't know about delivery a breech baby vaginally with a heart shaped uterus.. I haven't done it...

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:34 PM

In Ina Mae Gaskin's book, Spiritual Midwifery, she writes about a woman who has a bicornuate uterus. Once the woman was pg. in one half of her uterus and had a vaginal birth. With her next baby, the woman was pregnant in the OTHER half, and also birthed vaginally.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Anyone with a heart-shaped uterus vaginally deliver a breech baby?
My friend, Liz Pierce, is a LLL Leader and has a heart-shaped uterus. Her 2nd baby was a breech, VBAC. She submitted her birth story to LLL's New Beginnings magazine. Here it is:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr01p47.html

A Natural Breech Birth
by Liz Pierce
Thousand Oaks CA USA
From: NEW BEGINNINGS, Vol. 18, No. 2, March-April 2001 pp. 47-49

She just had her 3rd boy, I can't remember if it was vaginally, pretty sure it was.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 01-28-2003, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Pynki, what do you plan for this baby? Was the broken collarbone related to uterine shape?

I will check out Spiritual Midwifery. I've only been wanting to read it for a year, anyway!

And thanks, Tanibani, for the link to your friend's birth story. It really is amazing.

User Tag List