August mamas!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The other thread was getting long, so I thought I'd start a new one. I hope y'all will join me!

Today at 4 PM I have my second prenatal appt. I'm a little nervous because we should get to hear the heartbeat again, which is very exciting! But also nerve-wracking...Especially since our loss in March (10 weeks; I apologize if I keep bringing this up, but it's on my mind alot).
So, send us all the positive thoughts you can muster! I really do think everything will be fine.
How's everyone doing?
I still feel pretty crappy, but it seems to be lessening.
Bye!
#2 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 01:47 PM

Well, I'll gladly hang my hat here. I'm due August 6th. Everyone asks,"so when are you due?" I just say, early August. Nobody likes that, but due dates are so silly. I had the worlds most accurate due date last time and I was 2 1/2 weeks over. Oh well. Can't buck all tradition.
Morning sickness is gone. But I still can't eat some things. Usually it's things I cook: My own meatloaf makes me gag. But I've got a fruit fetish that won't quit. Better than the fruity pebbles insanity I had last time.
I look six months pregnant every night when I go to bed, I wake up looking like I'm 6 weeks. I never know what to wear.
All in all I feel great. I thank God every day for this baby. We had to wait about a year for this one to come along, and I'm not taking one second of it for granted. Hope everyone else out there is doing well.
#3 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 04:36 PM

Annais - Good luck with your appt today- very positive thoughts your way! I know how you feel, I m/c at 10 weeks in August and now here I am at 10 weeks and my first appt is on Friday to hear a healthy heartbeat (optimistic outlook). I am trying to be as positive as I can.

Robin
#4 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 04:52 PM

Annais, we sort of got to hear the heartbeat on the 21st. It kept coming and going, but the midwife was very sure she heard it several times. Good enough for me! You're just a few days behind me so I'm sure you'll hear it thumping away in there!!! I hope your appointment brings big smiles and tears of joy to your face!

Luckymomma, our diets sound pretty similar at this point!!! Fruit and dairy products are the few things that have been pretty good throughout. I think I'm over the worst of it, but still have too many food aversions to make me feel "normal". I know what you mean about due dates. No one lets me get away with "mid August" except other moms!

My thoughts are with all of us! I'm so ready for the second trimester when we can all talk about feeling good and the excitement of feeling the baby grow!
#5 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 07:09 PM

I relate to to the fears. I am now past 12 weeks so feel way better. I have had very little m/s this pregnancy. But cannot eat fish and chocolate and it is so hard to brush my tounge. And I hate prenatals.
#6 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 08:44 PM

So, I'm feeling alright, but man, do I ever get a sore back easily!!
I was reading all your posts, and I"m feeling a little weird, cause I haven't even been for my first pre-natal yet, and some of you are going to your second!!!
My midwife was busy in December, I was away all of January, until now, and my midwife is now off sick for at least three months...hopefully that's it. So, I had to make an appointment at my doctor's, and the receptionist was being all snotty that I haven't been seen yet!!!
I feel that all is progressing well, I'm feeling healthy, the baby feels healthy...(I'm basing that on my body of course...), I look like I'm six months pg, so the baby is growing...
If I felt anything..I would go to the medical clinic, but I'm trying to stay away from that!
Luckymama, our firsts are really close in age eh? It's taken us a long while too!!!
Sending much energy your way Annais!!!
I can't believe we are entering the second trimester already...this pg is flying by so far!!!
Peace,

Mamasoleil
#7 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 09:28 PM

hi everyone!

I have a sixteen month old ds and I think I am between 8 - 10 wks pregnant - it is hard to know my due date, because I am still nursing and never had a period! I had my first prenatal last week and now I am going for an ultrasound this Friday. My doctor is worried about dates because my son was 3 wks early and we live in a small community with no NICU (nearest one is 3 hours away).
I have also started taking diclectin - it has really helped - I feel groggy for most of the day, but I am no longer throwing up. I hate the idea of being on something, but I was finding it impossible to look after ds when I was spending hours hanging over the toilet. Ahg.

With ds I exercised a lot - with this pregnancy, I just feel so tired. Have you (Mamasoleil, Annais, Sharon, Luckymomma, Kasmir, and everyone else!) been exercising? I would love to read your tips.

Hugs,
Emma
#8 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 10:00 PM

I'm here too. A lot of the blah feeling is gone but some still remains. Tons of food aversions. I have been eating tons of fresh fruit (strawberries) and salads. I have had a taste for Ramen noodles as well.: I usually have a huge sweet tooth, but this babe has taken it away from me. Even my favorite peanut butter cups don't look good anymore. I guess it is not a bad thing, although I am sure that I have lost at least 15lbs already. I lost that much last time and when I went into labor I only weighed 2lbs more than when I conceived. That was a good feeling. Of course I put it all back on by the time dd was 8mos old.: I go back to the mw in a couple of weeks and hopefully we can hear the heartbeat.

Luckymomma, when ppl ask my due date I just say mid to late August. My EDD is the 17th but I am guessing the baby will arrive somewhere between the 25th and 30th.
#9 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 10:23 PM

Hey Emma, I really don't "exercise", but I swear I'm never sitting down. I plan on walking once it gets a little warmer, but the one thing I do is squat on a regular basis. That and running up and down the stairs(bad memory, always have to make another trip) all day keeps me feeling healthy, not buff, but good. Which birth book was it that gave the story about athletes training for a competition using mental imagery and less actual training.....I think it was Sears. Anyway, the athletes who used the mental exercises surpassed those who physically trained harder.

O.k., maybe it's looking for excuses not to Jane Fonda, but if anything, it should help prepare for birth, and isn't that the only training needed for now?

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but just curious if any August mama's are going for a vbac.

Well, can't wait for that first kick. Glad my tummy's not all gas anymore. Second trimester is cool. Take care fellow mommys.
#10 of 66 Old 01-27-2003, 11:07 PM

I'm here as well.

Will hit 12w on Wednesday.... I have not had any significant m/s, however the babies have taken away my sweet tooth... I have been fine as long as I eat SOMETHING every 2-3 hours.

I haven't had an official prenatal visit yet either..... I had a followup appt on my fertility treatments, Dec 23 when I found out by u/s that I am having twins.... but I haven't met my new OB yet.... I go see him a week from today for the initial visit. I am eager to meet him -- I've met his nurse, she has been great about my loss of health insurance and set me up to do all the necessary bloodwork before my insurance ran out.

I am suppost to get another u/s at this upcoming appt. -- I am going to try and convince them to do less u/s than they are going to want to do (since i am pregnant with twins) but I do want this u/s next week... my DP and I have been doing lots of readings and are freaked out that we will experience the "vanishing twin" syndrome....

I just want to see those puppies asap to make sure they are both in there and kicking!!!!

I don't LOOK pregnant yet, but my clothes all fit differently (or not at all!!!). My DP says she can tell the difference, but I just feel FAT.
I went to the maternity store in the mall -- just to check it out. They had this really cool pillow to stuff in your clothes to "add three months" and that was really fun.... it lifted my spirits and let me hope that I won't look just fat this whole time.

We will be going on a mini-vacation tomorrow thorugh thurs to celebrate our 4 yr anniversary. It's great having teenagers in the house who are responsible to take care of themselves and the animals..... My DP will start the job search in earnest when we get back from our mini-trip.

Hope all is well....

kathybird
#11 of 66 Old 01-28-2003, 03:02 AM

Those comments about losing your sweet tooth reminded me of my saddest pregnancy moment so far. I was at work one day and ran out of snacks. So I ran across the street to our little local market and grabbed an icecream bar...vanilla icecream dipped in chocolate with bits of Heath bar sprinkled in. I took one bite and had to peel off the chocolate because it was too rich!!!! I don't think I have EVER thrown out chocolate before! It was terrible! :

As for exercise. Does anyone really have the energy for it?! Yikes, I'm just dead half the day. When I'm up, I'm on my feet a lot, but as soon as I sit down, that's it. DH keeps saying that as soon as I get a little energy back, we're going to start doing daily walks and I plan on starting a prenatal yoga class....but I'm giving myself a few weeks.
#12 of 66 Old 01-28-2003, 03:11 AM

I am in the same boat with fatigue.... I am SO TIRED all the time.... Exercise for me these days is getting up the energy to go to work and then go back and forth from my desk to the bathroom every couple of hours..... sigh.

My DP keeps saying we need to walk every day and I just look at her and tell her she is crazy. I really hope that this second trimester energy kicks in soon. I know I need to walk -- And I do like once a week or so, but I just barely survive the weeks until I can rest up on weekends.

Actually, I guess it is slowly getting a little better.... I actually did some cleaning this past weekend and this evening. Maybe there is hope, afterall....

kathy
#13 of 66 Old 01-28-2003, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I was wondering where you were, because I forgot that you were away. Silly me! It's so nice to hear from everyone!

Well, our appointment yesterday was great! We got to hear the baby's heartbeat; dh was there, so I think it's more real to him now. My blood pressure was a little high, but I think I was just so nervous. It's such a relief. We go back again in 4 weeks.

Every morning I keep thinking I should get up and walk the dogs with dh...but I end up staying in bed until the last possible minute. I think that the exercise could help my bp if it's tending to be on the high side. Maybe I'll go to bed earlier and take that walk. I'm also planning on starting prenatal yoga, but for some reason, I want to wait until I'm 12 weeks, which will be this Sunday.

I told my boss and her assistant today, and they both started crying. I thought that was so sweet...(they are both women! )

Good luck to everyone going to their appts soon! Hey, when officially does the second trimester start? At 13 weeks? 14 weeks? I'm a little confused.
#14 of 66 Old 01-28-2003, 05:12 PM

Hi, all! I'm barely an August mama (due 8/29, or 9/2!), but I'll jump in anyway!

Feeling tentatively relieved because I've just passed the point in the pregnancy when I miscarried back in October. I've been so terrified of this point, and a part of me still is (I'm really just a few days past the dreaded 9w2d mark), but I'm also realizing I'm breathing easier and allowing myself to believe things could be OK. Driving home last night, a lovely wave of joy about the pregnancy washed over me -- it was so nice. And until now, I've really held those feelings at bay, just not believing and feeling so wary.

Anyway, at nearly 10 weeks I'm still feeling pregnant, though it seems as though the nausea is getting a bit better (at least if I keep something in my stomach). Fatigue is huge, though. I don't have it in me to exercise yet, though I am trying to take the stairs at work, etc. I did both a prenatal exercise class and some prenatal yoga with my pregnancy with DS (he's now 30 months), and I plan on doing all that again -- it really felt good, and I met so many cool women, some of whom have remained really good friends, who also happen to have kids exactly the same age as mine. It's great fun.

Hope everyone else continues to do well -- I predict those sweet teeth will be returning with a vengeance!

darcy
#15 of 66 Old 01-29-2003, 11:40 AM

Seagan hang in there. And glad you are feeling pretty positive.

I think I asked this before. But I am really wanting to wean my toddler, he is 22 months. Anyone else hoping to do that before new babe arrives. I feel guilty but I know this is what I need and want. And I think I have done a good job so far. We just nurse first thing in the morning and before nap now. Don't know which one will go next. First thing is so sweet and before nap is a necessity it seems.
#16 of 66 Old 01-29-2003, 03:30 PM

Kaje I am also trying to wean my son - he is 16 months old. A couple of weeks ago he was down to 4 nursings a day, then he got sick... now he is better but nursing 8-10 times a day again. This might sound a bit melodramatic, but it is killing me. How did you get your little one down to just two nursings a day?

Emma

ps A freind of mine managed to stop the nursing at naptime by giving her daughter some cereal and then talked about how 'big girls' don't need milk before they sleep. Then she would rock her to sleep.
#17 of 66 Old 01-29-2003, 04:12 PM

Afraid I can't offer any tips, just commiseration. I'm supposedly weaning my 30-month-old son, but have wanted to do it so gently and gradually that it's kinda stalled out. He's down to one very short nursing session before bedtime (short only because I unlatch him; otherwise, he'd probably nurse to sleep, however long that might take) and sometimes in the very early AM. Oh, and before naps on weekends.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll be one of those 40% of nurslings who voluntarily wean in the 4th month or so of pregnancy, but considering how much I want him to do it, I should probably be doing something more than just limiting the length of his nursing sessions. But I just can't bring myself to do anything that doesn't feel comfortable for him, and he has been amazingly great about accepting that nursing will be very brief. I just don't get why that doesn't lead to a lack of interest altogether.

Anyway, we're basically following a "don't offer, don't refuse, keep it short, keep fingers crossed" approach, I guess. So much for advice!

Good luck to us all!
darcy
#18 of 66 Old 01-30-2003, 07:11 PM

Hello, joining the ranks!
I'm probably about 11 weeks pregnant. Feeling very tired, very moody, and overwhelmed by my active, nursing 15 month old daughter. Am hoping she'll wean as well during this pregnancy.
Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you Emma, I'd gotton her down to 4 nursings a day until she got sick recently! And now it's 4 nursings a night.
Another dilemma we're going through involves co-sleeping. We've been exclusively co'sleeping so far but now I'm feeling like I really want my space. Stuck between that feeling and feeling guilty about that feeling. And also just wanting to do whats best for all of us.
Is anyone else going through this?
Thanks, Corinna
#19 of 66 Old 01-30-2003, 08:55 PM

Yeah! I had my first prenatal this morning with my midwife. We heard the heartbeat! I am 11 weeks Saturday. I think I can start to bond with this baby now that I know that he/she is ok thus far. After a loss this summer I was very anxious, but this is great news!
#20 of 66 Old 01-31-2003, 12:03 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm due Sept. 1st.

Finally have gotten of ms, but still get tired by 2:00 pm. My ds is almost 3 and for the past couple days hasn't been wanting to take a nap! That really does me in.

Also, this morning I really notice my tummy sticking out. Anybody else around 9 weeks and showing? My last pregnancy I started showing at 12.

Deb
#21 of 66 Old 01-31-2003, 10:30 AM

Well first of all I night weaned when he was 16 months. I went to my yearly exam and asked my doctor if she was worried about me getting pregnant at 40 and being heavyset.

In the visit I was also talking about sleep deprivation. In that discussion I even cried a bit.

Anyway, she said I am not worried about your age or your weight. I am worried about your emotional health. You need to get more sleep.

So we night weaned which was glorious. I am very happy about that. Anyway daddy slept with him for about a month and I slept in a different room. He would come to me sometimes at 3, sometimes at 5 and eventually slept through the night which he now does. And then daddy gets him ready for bed, brush teeth, lots of books and he would fall asleep to stories. Now I can even be in there laying next to him and help read etc. and he will fall asleep. I always wear a shirt though.

My friend also taught me the counting thing when I was working on the after the nap weaning. And that worked. I will say okay we will have milk for three and I would count. If he asks for mamma's milk at anytime besides first thing in the morning or before nap. I offer juice, cow milk, water etc....and that often works. He loves cow milk, we buy organic. Anyway the next weaning I will work on is before nap and do the book thing etc...

I love our morning nurse. It is so sweet and so long. I say I want to give it up but I will miss it. I am going to wait at least till he is 2 in March. I know people do drop baby off at grandmas for the weekend or even put tabasco on their breasts. I could never do the second. But.....in May if he is still nursing, daddy might take him for a weekend to stay with gramma and grampa. I want daddy to be there with him cuz he is comforted very much by daddy. Is that mean?
#22 of 66 Old 02-01-2003, 05:23 PM

I went for an early ultrasound yesterday! It was exciting - I got to see the heart beating and found out I am 8 weeks pregnant due September 10.

I have kind of given up on weaning at the moment. I am feeling so rough I just don't have enough stamina. I am hoping, fingers crossed, that Mac will just wean himself.... (I think I am dreaming though). Otherwise I will do in second trimester when I am feeling a bit better.

Ma-Corinna we also cosleep and I don't know what we are going to do.... I am hoping that before baby comes, Mac will be able to sleep by himself. At the moment, Mac and I cosleep on a futon in his room - DH is in our old room... I miss sleeping with my husband, but I know that Mac needs me... It is a real dilemna, because I just know that I won't be able to sleep with both babies...

Emma
#23 of 66 Old 02-02-2003, 11:47 AM

emma glad your visit went well
#24 of 66 Old 02-02-2003, 07:50 PM

Thanks Kaje62!
#25 of 66 Old 02-03-2003, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hello friends!
I need some reassurance...
Today I went to Whole Foods to buy some more prenatal vitamins. So I looked at the ones I had at home, and they said I should be taking 6/day!! Ah! I thought I was fine taking one, I didn't read the fine print. Now I'm a little freaked out. Needless to say I bought a new one that I only need to take 1/day.
I know that some women with bad morning sickness can't even stomach a prenatal...and I've been able to eat pretty well. And my SIL was pregnant for 14 weeks before she found out, and obviously wasn't taking prenatals. I realize there's not much I can do about it now, so I'm trying not to worry, but...I can't help it.
#26 of 66 Old 02-03-2003, 01:01 PM

annais what brand?

Cuz mine say 6 to but my naturopath told me the first trimester to take 2, 2nd trimester 4 and third 6.

you are fine. do you eat a lot of fruits and veggies and iron?
#27 of 66 Old 02-03-2003, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Kathy-jo....
They are Rainbow Light vitamins; their vitamins and minerals are supposed to be from food sources, not synthetic. I've been eating alot a fruit and a fair amount of veggies.
I'm glad your naturopath told you that, I feel better! Even if they aren't the same brand, maybe they are the same distribution of vitamins, etc. They must be somewhat similar, I'm guessing?
I just kinda feel like an idiot!
Thanks again
#28 of 66 Old 02-03-2003, 05:24 PM

you are welcome. mine are sold at whole foods and they are, Vita Natal by Ecletic Institute.

I went to my prenatal today. The visit was much better but just as emotional. At the beginning of the visit, the midwife asked how I feel etc...And I said fine but I had a very disturbing visit the last time I was in. I asked if there were any notes and she looked at my chart very quickly and said, there is something about having trouble finding the heartbeat. And then she said, "Oh you are the one who had all the ultrasounds and I said yes." I looked at her and said, "Do you know how to do an ultrasound?" And she said, "No, midwifes are not really trained in ultrasound." So I said, "Well my husband questioned whether Lisa knew what she was doing" And then I told her the whole story and by the end of it I was crying. And then she said, "Kathy a visit like that would be hard for anyone but I am sure even harder for someone like you who lost a baby. You know when you asked how many children I have?" And I said three at home. Well the reason I said that is because, and I interrupted her and said, "you have one in heaven." She said, "yes my son Issac needed surgery at 6 months for his kidney and it was a routine surgery and he bled to death." Well then I really was crying. But it was a good crying if you know what I am saying, I felt really connected to her etc. And then I asked her if I needed to tell anyone else my story. And she said I think you should call the office manager. And then I said, "Well does Lisa know she made a mistake, a big mistake. I know she was trying to help doing the ultrasounds but it was really traumatic for me." She said, "Actually Kathy, we had a team meeting about your visit and the office manager concluded that no midwife should ever ever give an ultrasound." So then I said, "Well maybe I don't need to call." And then she said, "I think she needs to hear your story." So now I have to decide what to do. I don't want to make a bunch of trouble for Lisa cuz a couple of my friends think the world of her but I need to think about this. Maybe I should just have a heart to heart with Lisa. Cuz I am not just struggling with the ultrasounds. I am struggling with things she said like, "I don't think your pregnancy is viable." and "We need to be eternally grateful to Dr. Sari for squeezing you into her busy schedule and doing an ultrasound for you today." Those comments are bothering me more than her inability to do an ultrasound. This all just brings up how vulnerable I felt. Anyway the more I see the midwives the more I lean towards a VBAC. I am having a consultation with an OB in four weeks for that.
#29 of 66 Old 02-03-2003, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Kathy-jo,
I hope you don't mind me butting in with my 2 cents...
I think you should tell the office manager. What happened to you was horrible, and I think if you talked about it with her, it might save someone else from going through the same stress and worry. I know you don't want to get Lisa in trouble, and you can tell the om nicely without berating Lisa, but obviously what she did was wrong and she needs to know that she can't do it again. And they need to know how horrible it was for you to go through that, kwim?

I know it's a tough decision...good luck.
#30 of 66 Old 02-03-2003, 05:44 PM

annais, i appreciate your honesty and i asked for feedback so thank you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page