Kidney stones and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-27-2003, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never realized how much kidney stone could hurt until I woke up yesterday (Sun) morning and had horrible back pain. It was enough to make me gasp. I tried lying on the couch with a hot pack hoping that I wouldn't wake Bill and Elana. The pain got so bad that I called my midwife and asked her what to do. I had the back pain on my left side, pressure down low and I couldn't pee (sorry if TMI) which was making me think kidney infection. She agreed that I should call our backup OB, so I called his answering service. (Why do these things always happen on the weekend?) He called me back and told me to go to L&D at the hospital.

I avoid hospitals and doctors as much as possible, but I went and it turns out I had a kidney stone. I always thought people who said it's as painful as childbirth were being babies, but they're not! I have never hurt that bad except for labor and labor was good pain because it was getting my baby out, KWIM? So anyway, they doped me up on Demerol because the pain made my blood pressure shoot through the roof. The Demerol made me throw up and I wasn't able to eat for over 24 hours. Yuck. Lots of monitoring (ds wouldn't hold still so they couldn't keep the doppler on him, heehee) and of course an IV (my hand hurts more than anything now).

Anyway, I'm home and alive... but I have a new sympathy for people who get kidney stones!

Seeing the 'new' labor and delivery suites just makes me glad for my spring homebirth. Supposedly there's tubs there, but I never saw one (wasn't one in my room). Just an ordinary shower with a seat and a sign telling you no shower with the monitors on :

Michelle- no place like home!
#2 of 6 Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Bumping an old thread! It came up in a google search - I woke last night in terrible pain, and I think kidney stones is what I've got. I agree, labour is much nicer feeling, and I have intense labours!

I've been reading contradicting reports about calcium supplements causing these. I've been taking a fair amount of antacids, as well as a calcium/magnesium/vit D supplement to prevent charlie horse leg cramps. Wondering if I should stop.

I think my fluid intake is prett good, I drink 2-3 L of water a day most days.
#3 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 AM

I had a kidney stone with my first pregancy and for me the pain was much different than my contractions and childbirth. With my contractions I at least got some time to breathe and try to control the pain and I could also move around and get more comfortable. With the kidney stone nothing I did helped and I was miserable. For me it's hard to compare the two except to say that they both topped the 10 scale for me.

How are you today? Are you still in pain? You

I had pain in my back with my stone, but it wasn't in the 'typical' place for it so my OB at the time (who was an arse) kept telling me that I just had to learn to deal with pains associated with pregnancy. Anyway after an awful night of pain I went and saw another OB that morning and after a urine sample they found crystals in my urine. It seems by then I had gotten past the worst of it, but I was still in a lot of pain.

I feel for you, I know how bad it can get.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#4 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM

The pain went away and never returned. I went to my doc to get checked out, and he took a urine sample. He said that since there was no blood in my urine,and the pain had stopped suddenly, it couldn't be kidney stones. He said it was round ligament pain (even though it doesn't sound like it to me - it was in the middle, not the sides, and it was sharp pain continuously for an hour and a half).

If it comes back, I'll probably go somewhere else, like the ER or the OB clinic.
#5 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 11:16 AM
SMR

I had something really horrible a few months ago.. went on weekly for about 1.5-2 months! (this was before I was pregnant) It was in my right side and back.. it hurt SO bad! I never went to the doctor about it.. I kept saying I would, but then it would go away, so I wouldn't. I was reading up about kidney stones.. and it's the only thing that sounded like what I could have had.. there was a natural remedy of drinking a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice.. I did that twice, and NEVER got the pain again! I have no idea if it was a stone, but whatever it was, I think that remedy helped! A few weeks later, I got my first ever bladder infection... It wasn't too bad pain wise.. so I took some cranberry pills and garlic pills and that was gone within 2 days! So, I'd say if your pain comes back, maybe try that olive oil lemon juice thing.. it's kind of like drinking salad dressing - YUCK- but its worth a try!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#6 of 6 Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM

I have had a number of kidney stones, and you're right, they hurt like a bugger! It sucks especially when you're pregnant because your options for pain management are more limited. I don't recall what they gave me last time I was pregnant when I had one but it wasn't Demerol.

When I'm not pregnant, they just prescribe Percoset or whatever it is and I just take them and drink a ton of water until it passes. I've mostly managed to eliminate them, though, by changing my diet and drinking lots of water all the time, but unfortunately pregnancy makes that hard for me in the first tri, which is why I got one last time.

If you've had one during this pregnancy, it's especially important to keep up your water intake (or lemonade--that helps too!). You don't want to experience that again!

(And while my labor hurt more than a kidney stone, I totally agree that getting a baby at the end more than made up for it!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page