Spotting? (kinda graphic) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found bright pink blood on the toliet paper Sunday morning, after I used the bathroom. Then it stopped, for a bit. Nothing til Monday night. When I used the bathroom right before bed I found brownish blood. Now, tuesday morning there is brown AND pink blood. WTF is going on?:
#2 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 09:54 AM

I have no experience with this, but did you call your midwife/doctor? Let us know what is up.
#3 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Kerry. I'm going to the midwives for a glucose tolerance test in 30 minutes, so I'll ask them then....
#4 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 01:14 PM

I was due about the same date as you last year, and had spotting about this time last year. I actually gushed brownish blood after intercourse, and spotted over the course of a couple of weeks. Everything ended up just fine. The OB (before I switched to a MW) put me on vaginal rest, meaning nothing goes into there. I rested and ate well, and didn't have any problems.
It's my understanding that you shouldn't be worried about spotting unless it is bright red, but it's a good idea that you're contacting your MW.
#5 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 02:09 PM

I'm almost 8 weeks now and I have had spotting on and off since week 4 and my Dr. keeps saying its normal and to only be worried if it is fresh blood (brighr red) or if other PG symptoms have disappeared (mainly nipple tenderness)

Your case might be different but I think we just have to try to not worry about it.

Dr. said it has something to do with the Placenta attaching itself and may actually be a good sign.
#6 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It could also be cause by yeast or bacterial infection. After totally freaking out about a couple of spits of brownish discharge I found out I had bacterial vaginosis easily treatable by an antibiotic and harmless to the baby. It plagued me for the remainder of the pregnancy.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had brown spots every day for the last week and a half (since like two days after I found out I was pg), and can't get in to the doctor for at least two weeks (waiting for medicaid paperwork to come through), but my husbands said it was nothing to worry about, his first wife had it early in her pg., so I'm not letting myself worry.
(And thinking about burning my copy of What to Expect when you're Expecting).

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#8 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 06:47 PM

Here, here on burning What to Expect When You're Expecting. I had a fair amount of spotting between weeks 6 and 7 and 100% assumed I was having a miscarriage (my previous pregnancy ended in a miscarriage so I had an idea of what the spotting would look like). Most sources of information made me feel it was inevitable, as though only in rare cases does the story have a happy ending. Since then, I've learned of tons of women who have had spotting/bleeding who have gone on to have their babies. Of course, you can't help but worry, but it's nice to have a little hope.

Shannon
#9 of 14 Old 01-28-2003, 07:14 PM

TL, how's everything going? I hope you and baby are ok. I spotted in my last pregnancy around week 7, if I remember correctly, although I know if I do it again this pregnancy, I will be here asking questions...
#10 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

mw said she will check my hcg count and then I'll go back in 2 days to get it checked again. She said it should double. I just wish I KNEW what the heck was going on in there!
#11 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 10:42 AM

I spotted around 7 weeks during both of my pregnancies. I miscarried the first. Drank rasberry tea and took wild yam the second time and the spotting stopped. Wise women say the rasberry tea helps the uterus be a good home and the wild yam brings up your hormone levels if they are low. Half of the hormones preventing menstruation are the mothers and half are from the baby during early pregnancy. If the embryo is not producing his half of the hormones, the wild yam will not help. But if your hormone levels are low, it will. I was told by a neo-natalogist, mid-wife, and ob/gyn that the wild yam will not harm the developing baby. My son (pregnancy #2) is very healthy. If I spot during a future pregnancy, I will definitely take the wild yam.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#12 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks. Where do you get wild yam? Wholefoods?
#13 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 11:08 AM

I telephoned the health food store a couple of miles from my house when I started spotting with ds. They didn't have any. Telephoned the second closest (about 15 miles away) and they did. I wanted to find some fast, so I didn't want to drive the 50 miles to Whole Foods. If there's a whole foods close to you, call them. Some women use it for birth control, (pregnancy hormones prevent ovulation -- natural pill) so they may have it. Good luck to you. I'm sending healthy baby vibrations your way.

BTW - after taking it for a couple of weeks, morning sickness really kicked in and they would no longer stay down.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#14 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 08:31 PM

LILYKA... I hear you with the vaginosis...I was just diagnosed with it today so maybe that is why I was spotting, eventhough my Dr. said he didn't believe it was connected.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page