Lying on my back - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2003, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At what stage of pregnancy is it recommended that a mother stop laying on her back? I am 17 weeks along, I think, and have been laying on my back quite a bit, including for my acupuncture treatments. Am I at a point that I should avoid it? I haven't gained a lot of weight, but my uterus feels bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2003, 01:51 PM

I was just reading that you should lie on your left side after the fourth month. I think this applies mostly to sleeping or lying for long stretches of time.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I stopped lying on my back when it started to hurt! The weight of the fetus was too much for my softened ligaments after the first trimester, and then by the 3rd trimester it was hard to breathe.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:12 PM

my midwife says to stop laying on your back if you wake up and feel sick or numb or uncomferatable. I am in my 8th month now and I still occasionally every night will lie on my back for a good bit of time. It is not that big of a deal. As my midwife says..." where are all the damaged children from mothers who slept on their backs? and along the same lines, "show me all the damaged children from their mothers going into hot tubs and hot springs."
Old 01-28-2003, 05:14 PM

I asked my midwife about this, as well. And she concurred with the ladies here:

Your body won't allow you to harm baby. When it is uncomfortable and unpleasant, that is when you shouldn't do it.

I woke last night on my back (as I often do), and just turned over. I am 26 weeks, and it still feels very good to me to lie on my back occasionally.

Plus, think of all those mamas giving birth in lithotomy (back lying) position. They lie that way for HOURS sometimes!

Don't worry, Mama!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif

User Tag List