BirthDay TV series - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-28-2003, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was watching the show BirthDay on Discovery the other day. If you haven't seen it, it follows real women in the hospital through labor and birth. I was so upset by the show that I have been stewing over it for days.

First off, every woman on the show was induced. They didn't tell why but it was approached like, "well we just decided to induce to get things going." Second, they did just about every intervention known to man - fetal monitors, IVs, vaccuum extraction, and drugs drugs drugs.

That was the part that really got me. Out of all the women, one chose to have a drug free birth and they treated her like she was some sort of freak. They actually started talking about how it was a "cultural thing" that many women from Central America didn't use drugs during birth and they just didn't understand why. They made a blatant point of trying to change her mind and basically sounded like epidural pushers throughout the show. Anytime she even winced, someone was right there pushing drugs on her. She was totally disrespected and unsupported in her choice. And she was patronized by the doctors and nurses.

The only reason I finished the show was because I wanted to see if they mentioned in the credits who funded it. I figured it had to be a drug company, but they didn't say.

I should also say that I am not speaking out against using drugs or other interventions during labor. I had an epidural with dd. It is all about choice. I just think it was terrible the way they treated this woman for her choice to labor drug free.

Thanks for listening - I needed to get that off my chest!
#2 of 4 Old 01-28-2003, 03:58 PM

Having been induced with my first two children and wanting a completely natural birth this time, I point to those shows as reasons to wait. BirthDay and Maternity Ward show a LOT of c-sections, most of which follow failed inductions.

Many of the people around me don't understand why I won't just call the doctor and get this over with. They also don't understand why on EARTH I wouldn't want to be numb when my child is born. When I can point to those shows and say "SEE? She was induced and now she's being cut open. SEE?!", I feel a little bit better, you know?

There was an episode of one of those shows that followed a woman through hypnobirthing. That was the first time I'd heard of that, actually. I've seen a few home births on there, too. So they're not -all- about drugs and intervention.
#3 of 4 Old 01-28-2003, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A Baby Story on the Lifetime Network does much more balanced shows. They show regular hospital births, but they've also done homebirths, waterbirths, (that's probably where you saw the hypno), alternative families such as a Lesbian couple and even a couple of adoptions. They follow the family through from early pregnancy to bringing the baby home. It's a really cute show.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#4 of 4 Old 01-29-2003, 01:31 AM

I watched "maternity ward" last night and was so mad I didn't get to sleep till 2. The way they continuously tryed to get them to use drugs, almost immediately started all of them on pitocin, and how they had those poor girls flat on their back mad me sick!! I felt so bad for them. It's so sad the way our culture views birth, and how so many women out there (like me with my first 2) don't know they have other options. They don't know they have a say in how they give birth. I am so glad I'm well informed this time. I can honestly say, I am very much looking forward to my labor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page