Wierd dreams - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-28-2003, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having alarmingly bizzare dreams, and was wondering if this could have something to do with the pregnancy. Things like dreaming about getting killed by a serial killer and watching people get assaulted.

Has anyone else had bizzare dreams/nightmares in early pregnancy?

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#2 of 11 Old 01-28-2003, 06:27 PM

Yup - all through pregnany I have the wierdest, most vivid dreams. I think it's a hormone thing.
#3 of 11 Old 01-28-2003, 07:56 PM

I think that one of the reasons that your hormones are affecting you (and me and lotsa other mamas) in this way is to prepare us subconciously. For what, I am not exactly sure.

Look for themes in your dreams, and consider your role in the dream. Although there are lots of scary elements, do you still survive?

You already have a little person who is entirely dependent upon you for his well-being. That is a *big* responsibility, and your mind is processing that.

Recently, one of my recurring themes was water. For me, that represents a loss of control. In general, water is reflective of your general state. If the water is calm and lovely, then... GREAT! If it drowns you or is rough and stormy, well... you get the idea.

Anyway, my Illustrated Dream Dictionary by Russell Grant says that dreaming of witnessing a murder means that a change is coming (but I am guessing you knew that!). Assaulting others in a dream means money coming your way! But, it doesn't say whether that's for witnessing the assault or being the assailant. Maybe it is for both.

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#4 of 11 Old 01-28-2003, 08:08 PM

Oh yes I'm having wild dreams lately. A lot of very sexual ones too... Also am starting to have baby dreams... which are very sweet... I've had a breastfeeding dream, and another one of Dh and I cuddling with a toddler girl in bed.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#5 of 11 Old 01-29-2003, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My sister said she always knew she was pregnant when she started having lesbian dreams. I have weird, violent dreams all the time, so they are actually pretty normal now. :LOL
#6 of 11 Old 01-29-2003, 12:59 AM

I had strange dreams at the beginning of my pregnancy...this time, I got to have sex with Joey from Friends. If you ever get the opportunity to have sex with Joey from Friends, DO it. WOO!

I was 19 when pregnant with my first and my first baby dream was quite bizarre. I'd had the baby, but we were keeping baby in a box in the kitchen. Because baby was THREE baby PIGS. I was worried about how we were going to feed them and DH said, "Oh! Watch! They loooove ketchup!" and he fed them nothing but ketchup.

I know I dreamt this because I couldn't fathom the idea of having my own HUMAN to look after, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to mother correctly (how do you mother not one but THREE pigs?!) and I was lacking confidence in me and DH as a team.

The ketchup comes from a children's book about pigs and why they're pink. (They refused to eat anything but ketchup.)
#7 of 11 Old 01-29-2003, 06:30 AM

I had a lot of violent and disturbing dreams during my first trimester. I wish I had had sexual dreams..no such luck I sort of attribute the disturbing dreams to the hormones and some uneasy feelings I had about being pregnant. In my last trimester i am not bothered by dreams as much as I am bothered by lack of REM sleep I can't seem to sleep more than 2 hours without waking up

Karen Mommy of McKenna 2003 & Alysson 2004 homebirth.jpg Expecting stork-girl.gif an early Christmas Present
#8 of 11 Old 01-29-2003, 06:39 AM

Yep, lots of heavy visual dreams here, too. Especially of the hot sexual variety ~ though I don't watch Friends :LOL Though sometimes it's weird waking up still feeling the dream heat, and then finding dd nursing :

I always figured it's the hormones, too. In that case, that's one of the better things those hormones do for me, I'm telling you
#9 of 11 Old 01-29-2003, 04:52 PM

Its pretty common to dream that your baby is an animal in the first trimester, I would guess because its hard to visualise an actual baby in there (its like, smaller than a pea!)

I had a dream with this pregnancy that i was going to have a baby elephant! I was looking at all of these properties to buy that would make good elephant habitats. Not sure what that one meant. My midwife suggested trying to find out what the animal symbolizes, ie., an elephant could symbolize strength or wisdom- or a big baby! Anyway thats my two cents!

Oh, and I always knew I was pregnant because of the lesbian dreams, too...
#10 of 11 Old 01-29-2003, 05:16 PM

I should add that not all my sexual dreams sound so great once I wake up... I've had a few about ex's (and then felt bad about it once I woke up) and one about Gandalf! Like come on, couldn't it have been Legolas?? It was just bizarre...

My nightmares are a LOT worse too... before dreams mostly dropped out of my head really quickly after I wake up... but not now. It is cool to be able to remember the really wild dreams, but not so cool to still be scared of a silly dream later on in the day! : How exactly is a mama who's scared of the dark supposed to comfort her babes when they are scared?

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#11 of 11 Old 01-29-2003, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Some of the dreams I've had have been sexual, mostly involving wierd bisexual star trek-type aliens (and characters from various star treks). The most disturbing dream I've had so far, though, was one in which I was back in the Navy, and sent back to the ship I was on before I got out in 2001. The equipment I was supposed to maintain was already broken when I got there, and the same idiots were there and I had to work with them. It was a very stressful period in my life and I was frequently sleep deprived, maybe that's why I dreamed of revisiting it. UGH!

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page