Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bumping
#92 of 119 Old 12-19-2006, 01:15 AM

Cenote, Sorry about your miscarriage. Sounds like a HORRIBLE experience! I got this book called Fit to Deliver. At the back it contains exercise and dietary regimens for pre-conception -- wish I'd known!
#93 of 119 Old 12-19-2006, 01:26 AM

SPIRULINA: What's that for?

ACIDOPHOLIS: I have taken this as a remedy for diarrhea. At the moment (early pregnancy) constipation is a bigger problem for me, for which I am taking psyllium. Should I take acidopholus in addition, and if so, what's it supposed to do?
#94 of 119 Old 12-19-2006, 01:34 AM

SELENIUM: what's that for?
#95 of 119 Old 12-19-2006, 01:58 PM

Thanks to you all of you who have so thoughtfully contributed to this thread! What a fun read! I'm currently working on my pre-pregnancy nutrition so this is all very helpful.

As for the person who was asking about how to afford eating healthy, I just wanted to say that I have been there! It can seem impossible and scary. We all think that Walmart is the only way to survive on a budget, and I got into the trap of going there for all my groceries when we were saving up to buy a house. If you get a chance, you should check out the book The United States of Wal-Mart by John Dicker. Once you really understand how stores like this operate, you will realize that they are not the place to save money. They do a lot of underhanded things that trick you into putting unplanned items that you suddenly think you've got to have into your cart. The environment is those stores is so stressful (who can get in an out of one of them in less than hour? or without spending at least $100??). Also, they brainwash you with their "low prices always" crap to the point you feel absolutely sure that they have lower prices than anywhere else, when in fact if you shop around, you would find that they often just have a few highly visible products that are really cheap, but many items you put in your cart can be found cheaper elsewhere.

But enough about them... I now shop at my local health food store exclusively. A lot of people will ask how can anyone afford to shop there. But the crazy thing is, if you buy out of there bulk bins, you can buy healthy, organic foods cheaper than unhealthy generics at other stores. Dried beans and grains (like barley, rice, whole grain flours, etc) are so incredibly cheap, and all you have to do is go home and add some water to get a nice meal started. I'm not a vegetarian, but I when I eat meat, I like it to be really healthy, so I might buy just one whole chicken a week for like $12/5lb., but from that I can make 1 gallon of organic chicken broth that I then freeze for soup (a gallon of organic broth is way more than $12 at most stores), I cut a few pieces off the chicken before I boil the broth and fry those for a night of fried chicken. Then when the broth is done, I remove all the boiled chicken and use the little pieces in soup, and the big pieces for chicken sandwiches - many meals can come from one chicken. In addition we get protein from dried beans and farm fresh eggs - two cheap protein sources.

Also, I make yogurt at home just using a cheap $15 yogurt maker, I buy organic milk and make yogurt that is cheaper than the gross generic stuff and way healthier. Also, something my husband and I have found is that nutrient rich foods fill you up faster, so you eat less, and the food lasts longer. We use to buy two loaves of cheap bread a week, now I buy one loaf of Ezekiel sprouted bread and keep in the fridge and we eat off of it for weeks. We can only eat one slice at time because it is so filling. Same goes for high quality goats cheese we get from a local source - it's expensive but a little bit adds a ton of flavor - 6 ounces sometimes lasts us 2 or more weeks.

I guess to summarize YOU CAN afford to eat healthier foods on a budget if you can prepare food from scratch at home using bulk items and nutrient dense foods that fill you up fast. (And don't forget the savings you can find on fresh local veggies all summer long at your local farmers market or through a CSA).
#96 of 119 Old 12-19-2006, 02:06 PM

: : :

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
#97 of 119 Old 01-19-2007, 09:32 AM

because this thread has so much great info.
#98 of 119 Old 01-19-2007, 05:42 PM

I just saw this as Isabel bumped it. I just kind of skimmed (I'm not TTC any time soon!) but I've recently come across some really REALLY wonderful info for mamas who suffered from Morning Sickness or hyperemisis (HG) in other pregnancies or dealing with current liver / gallbladder issues.

The information & success stories look SO good & I'm helping my SIL with current 2nd trimester nausea.

I came women swearing by Milk Thistle for battling M/S It's used 2 months+ before conception & then through the 1st trimester or nausea ends. Here is the program according to Shonda Barker, Naturally Healthy Pregnancy (this is a wonderful book with great info and the author presents it in a very faith based format:
Quote:
If morning sickness was a problem during a previous pregnancy, milk thistle extrat (standarized to contian at least 70% silymarin) is of great benefit to aid the liver's functions. Recommened amount: 280 mg per day. Dandelion is a gentler liver stimulant if a milder liver tonic is desired.
(p23)
The Milk Thistle preconception seems to be the most important time to take it, and then continue during pregnancy. I'll just add that during pregnancy info, since the borrowed book is in front of me right now.

Quote:
I have tried many remedies during my pregnancies - some have worked well, some worked a little, others worked not at all. I had hyperemesis gravidum (vomitting repeatedly, unable to hold anything down) with my eldest child which was medically treated... With my fourth child, I had no morning sickness whatsoever...
I have come to believe through my own experience and the experience of others that the root of the problem for many women is inadequate liver support during a period of greater demands on this vital organ. If moms begin preparing their bodies for pregnancy prior to conception they will have a better chance of avoiding morning sickness (as well as other factors).
(lists morning sickness recommendations)
2. I have found milk thistle (standardized to contain at least 70% - 80% silymarin) to be invaluable in preventing morning sickness. I began taking 2 tablets each day two months prior to this pregnancy and increased to 3 tablets daily when our pregnancy was confirmed. Milk thistle is liver supportive and protective. I feel this is why it worked so well to prevent the nausea and vomiting I have had with every other pregnancy. This would be especially helpful for those mom who vommit bile during pregnancy.

(p170-171)
From her website:
Quote:
Morning Sickness
Q.I just wanted to let you know that I am at the beginning of my 7th pregnancy...the 6th one that has gotten a good start....and for the very first time have not experienced the horrible morning sickness and exhaustion that I have with all the others! I believe it is the mercy and blessing of God through the advice that you offer...Entrox, Milk thistle Phytosome and AbsorbAid three times a day with meals along with a good prenatal and calcium. I'm still in total amazement and awe! I only hoped it would really work, but was skeptical until now! I have a friend who tried this as well with her 5th pregnancy with the same astounding results!!! WOW! I can't tell you how grateful I am to be able to be a "normal" mommy to my other children while carrying a new babe!! I had asked many months ago about a different source for the Milk Thistle Phytosome by Natural Factors as well as the Entrox...because I could not obtain those locally. I did find a source for Entrox by NOW that does not have any added Vitamin E. (just an FYI) Also, Enzymatic Therapy makes a Silybin Phytosome that I think is very similar if not the same as the milk thistle phytosome you recommend...and there are a few web sites that sell this brand. I bought mine from Vitamin Shoppe. The NOW Entrox I bought through BetterLife.com. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know so if you have opportunity to pass it along to other moms weary of morning sickness....again, I so appreciate your help! You are an angel! I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your new babe. love, Natalie

A. Natalie, I’m thrilled to hear of other mothers benefiting as I did from these three supplements during early pregnancy “sick” times. May God be praised!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#99 of 119 Old 01-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Is there any safe detox while breastfeeding?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#100 of 119 Old 01-19-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Is there any safe detox while breastfeeding?
Yes!

I went to a Naturopath postpardum last year. And, she works with a detoxing process that shoves toxins out using the digestive system. I could not believe the difference it made for me! It helped heal my immune system, before my liver (located just below your right rib) was enlarged and it healed, my energy was so low (but I didn't really notice until it started picking up again!), I had no more headaches.
http://naturopathic.org/

The other thing, if you want to dextox your liver, you can safely detox while breastfeeding using Milk Thistle & Dandelion. You'd do the rec's in my post just above your post. It's more of a gentle way to clean the house.

AngelBee, Mylee is ADORABLE!!!! Soooo tiny! I really recommend a cleanse. It got me out of my funk.

#101 of 119 Old 01-21-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Yes!

I went to a Naturopath postpardum last year. And, she works with a detoxing process that shoves toxins out using the digestive system. I could not believe the difference it made for me! It helped heal my immune system, before my liver (located just below your right rib) was enlarged and it healed, my energy was so low (but I didn't really notice until it started picking up again!), I had no more headaches.
http://naturopathic.org/

The other thing, if you want to dextox your liver, you can safely detox while breastfeeding using Milk Thistle & Dandelion. You'd do the rec's in my post just above your post. It's more of a gentle way to clean the house.

AngelBee, Mylee is ADORABLE!!!! Soooo tiny! I really recommend a cleanse. It got me out of my funk.
Oooo......good! I have to do something.

Thanks

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#102 of 119 Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 PM

Spark - Was what you used a custom blend of something or a specific brand? We can swing a ND right now but would love to hear more.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#103 of 119 Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 PM

nak

it was all geared to my body & specific toxins. i wish there was some special code! but, mine was majorly my liver. if you suspect your liver - i'd go the Milk Thistle/ Dandelion route for sure!

#104 of 119 Old 01-22-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
nak

it was all geared to my body & specific toxins. i wish there was some special code! but, mine was majorly my liver. if you suspect your liver - i'd go the Milk Thistle/ Dandelion route for sure!
How much does a it cost to go through the process?

I have to find someone in MN... :

#105 of 119 Old 01-23-2007, 01:21 PM

A great book for gallbladder/liver detox is by Andreas Moritz called, "the amazing liver and gallbladder flush". It's an inexpensive easy way to cleanse these organs. It's safe during pregnancy and can be done starting at 6 weeks potpartum too.
Other good things for these organs:
Red Clover
Burdock Root
(dandelion and milk thistle have been talked about lots)
warm water with fresh lemon squeezed into it every morning
Black spanish radish
Astragulus
beets
fresh veggie juice that includes beets
fresh apple juice

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#106 of 119 Old 01-23-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaV View Post
A great book for gallbladder/liver detox is by Andreas Moritz called, "the amazing liver and gallbladder flush". It's an inexpensive easy way to cleanse these organs. It's safe during pregnancy and can be done starting at 6 weeks potpartum too.
Other good things for these organs:
Red Clover
Burdock Root
(dandelion and milk thistle have been talked about lots)
warm water with fresh lemon squeezed into it every morning
Black spanish radish
Astragulus
beets
fresh veggie juice that includes beets
fresh apple juice
I will have to check this out

#107 of 119 Old 01-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
How much does a it cost to go through the process?
It was about $300 and WELL worth it. I was really amazed at the difference.

GREAT book rec! I'm going to check it out!

#108 of 119 Old 03-14-2007, 11:05 AM

Hi Folks,

We are TTC #2.....DS has some gut issues and sensory issues and I know that what we do (DW will get pregnant) during pregnancy might make a difference.

I'm nervous, though, about CLO. She takes a food-based prenatal that contains, I think, 5,000IU of Vit A. I don't want her to get too much and thus be at risk for anything or put the baby at risk. Should she take a CLO that isn't high-vitamin? Or, if she does take CLO that's high-vit, how much is safe? And how do I KNOW that it's safe? I feel like there are so many contradictions out there.....

Also, she's taking probiotics, but I wonder if it would be useful to supplement them with a kefir, probably water kefir. Is it safe to drink water kefir during pregnancy even though it becomes slightly alcoholic in the fermentation process? I don't think we can find a good (local enough) source for raw milk or raw milk kefir, so water kefir sounds like a good option...unless it's a good idea to make kefir in pasteurized milk instead. Any thoughts on this?

What else should she take, other than the regular prenatals....

thanks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#109 of 119 Old 03-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Why are you nervous? All the studies showing toxicity are done on chemical forms of A. What form of A is in that prenatal? If it's retinyl palmitate, I'd be much more afraid of taking that.

After reading this article I'd be afraid not to take high amount of vitamin A/D:

Vitamin A for Fetal Development

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...n-a-fetal.html

RE: safety
Traditional diets contained on average 10x the amount of modern diets of vitamin A from food sources. I think WAPF recommends 10,000 IU for adults as part of a traditional foods diet (such as pastured dairy and eggs and also liver once a week,) so I would take much more if you are not doing these foods.

What about liver pills too? I would do those. www.drrons.com

I think raw milk is best for nutrient profile but pasteurized would be fine for making kefir.

Make sure you give babe bifidobacterium from birth. No antibx, no HepB at birth at least.
#110 of 119 Old 03-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks, JaneS, for this. I have to check the form of A in her vitamins. I think that WAP stuff puts me more at ease. I think I just get nervous when there's contradictory info "out there" and I haven't yet figured out what sources to trust. That's merely from being a newbie in this area, as I know there's contradictory info about EVERYTHING, but usually I know where I stand (parenting, vax, breastfeeding, schooling, etc). So, it's just really a matter of me figuring it out.

Can you tell me what the liver pills would help with? A natural source of A? If we did the CLO would you recommend those as well? And if so, can you say a bit about why?

Finally, any good sources for the probiotic for the babe? Dairy/soy/etc free hopefully?

thanks!
megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!
#111 of 119 Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 PM

Absolutely to the liver plus CLO. Liver has natural (and thus best absorbable version) of zinc, iron, Price's X Factor, and the vitally important B vitamins in addition to A.

All about bifidobacterium and the infant gut here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6&postcount=20

Solaray might not be totally dairy free, it seems there are traces still. I think all B. Infantis will have traces of dairy since that is what original culture came from? You could use Natren Bifido Factor dairy free from chickpea base. Personally I would be confident giving Natren Life Start with dairy to a babe from day one, as the bifido will seal up leaky gut and drive out other bacteria... and that is what leads to the immune system reacting as allergies in the first place. Good gut flora is essential for oral tolerance.
#112 of 119 Old 05-20-2007, 04:46 PM
hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom80 View Post
I might buy just one whole chicken a week for like $12/5lb., but from that I can make 1 gallon of organic chicken broth that I then freeze for soup (a gallon of organic broth is way more than $12 at most stores), I cut a few pieces off the chicken before I boil the broth and fry those for a night of fried chicken. Then when the broth is done, I remove all the boiled chicken and use the little pieces in soup, and the big pieces for chicken sandwiches - many meals can come from one chicken. In addition we get protein from dried beans and farm fresh eggs - two cheap protein sources.

Also, I make yogurt at home just using a cheap $15 yogurt maker, I buy organic milk and make yogurt that is cheaper than the gross generic stuff and way healthier. Also, something my husband and I have found is that nutrient rich foods fill you up faster, so you eat less, and the food lasts longer.

I guess to summarize YOU CAN afford to eat healthier foods on a budget if you can prepare food from scratch at home using bulk items and nutrient dense foods that fill you up fast. (And don't forget the savings you can find on fresh local veggies all summer long at your local farmers market or through a CSA).

Super ideas and encouragement!

#113 of 119 Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 PM

I'm already pregnant, but am curious if anyone knows what my body is "asking" for by craving mineral water, the most bitter/strong-tasting available, during both this pregnancy and my last. What should I eat more of? I'm ovo/lacto vegetarian, eat lots of whole grains, nuts, and veggies (not as much of a fruit person).

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#114 of 119 Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 AM

Bump!

#115 of 119 Old 06-14-2008, 01:40 AM

lorax, I might guess minerals? maybe check and see if the water you're craving has a profile describing the minerals in it. Otherwise, perhaps bitter foods.
#116 of 119 Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 AM

We are planning on getting pregnant in December, but I'm having surgery this or next month and wondering how I can remove all the junk from the surgery and heal my body better for pregnancy?
#117 of 119 Old 06-25-2008, 05:35 PM

I am compelled to add another argument for milk thistle-I was so miserable at the beginning of my pg and it changed my world!

I love this thread, but am in need on help on the how part as opposed to the what/why. I posted a call for help here, if anyone would like to add great selections along the lines of the discussion in this thread.
#118 of 119 Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 PM

bump
#119 of 119 Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
I'm already pregnant, but am curious if anyone knows what my body is "asking" for by craving mineral water, the most bitter/strong-tasting available, during both this pregnancy and my last. What should I eat more of? I'm ovo/lacto vegetarian, eat lots of whole grains, nuts, and veggies (not as much of a fruit person).
I'd say check into antioxidant rich vegetables that are noted for possessing a touch of bitter (the cruciferous ones, some greens like dandelion, bitter melon, cranberries....) And what about "bitters" the liquid digestion tonic? Does anyone know anything about that? I don't but, the thought occurred to me.

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page