Holy Glucose, Batman! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-29-2003, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took the 1 hr fasting glucose test due to dizzy spells I was getting last week-my # was 187!!!!!!! Normal can be as high as 131, but I'm 187!!!! Now I have to go for the 3 hour test Friday.
#2 of 9 Old 01-29-2003, 11:38 AM

Treelove~

Best of luck ((((HUGS)))))! I failed it when I was pregnant w/my ds and this time around, I originally refused it. But on Monday, they noticed excessive amniotic fluid (could be a sign of GD), so I had to take the test. Awaiting my results still.

Take Care~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#3 of 9 Old 01-29-2003, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah, I had GD w/ Abe. I was put on the diet @ 24 weeks and only needed insulin for the last 2 weeks. but this time I've been put on the diet at 5 weeks. Well, at least I won't gain too much weight this time. I only gained about 15 lbs w/ Abe and he weighed 8! But now I'm HEAVIER than I was the day I delivered Abe, so minimal weight gain sounds good to me!
#4 of 9 Old 01-29-2003, 01:46 PM

After initially refusing to take the 3 hour test, and retaking the 1 hour, it looks like all my arguing was for naught and I'll have to take the 3 hour anyway. My first 1 hour was 145 and my second one hour was 165 (four weeks between tests).

I'm kind of disappointed with all this testing, but I'll go and get myself (and my baby) starving and nauseated and faint just so I can be through with it.
#5 of 9 Old 01-29-2003, 02:52 PM

Had GD this time too. Able to diet control completely. Didn't get tested until 28 weeks tho so you are having an early start. Maybe it was just a "fluke" have heard lots of people fail 1 hr and pass 3 hour. Good luck and keep us updated !
#6 of 9 Old 01-29-2003, 04:22 PM

Well, I failed . But I failed the 1 hr. last time too and then did further testing and I didn't have GD. Hopefully that will be the case this time. But I am anemic, so taking more iron.

Warmly~

Lisa

#7 of 9 Old 01-29-2003, 04:22 PM

hi all-
I am also on GD testing merry go round. Just did my 1 hr yesterday & got a 170. There have been some great links posted recently on this, I got alot out of the GD info on www.plus-size-pregnancy.org. We went ahead with the screen bcz I spilled ketones in my urine last mo, which can indicate insulin resistance. We really think I just hadn't eaten enough that day.

Luckily my MW is very wait & see about what these test results mean. We will do the 3 hr test and see. The 170 reading was also from a finger stick, we'll see what the actual blood draw comes back as. There's alot of controversy about the screens & whether the results are correlated to maternal-fetal outcomes, and whether the treatments improve outcomes. Personally I think the need to screen all women is driven by the obstetrical paranoia of large babies.

The good news that is coming out of this for me is that I am even more motivated to keep eating better & better & keep cutting out the sweets ( which I kept saying I was doing, but well, you know...) and also I am going to have to boost my exercise, it helps so much to use up any excess glucose in the blood stream. We are also considering using a glucose monitor @ home. Even though I'm not so gung ho about all the little finger sticks, I think I'd rather monitor myself & have some real info to go by than just let the tests tell us. The tests don't seem to reflect real eating & real life very well to me. I mean I could flunk the test, but eat right & never have an issue. Does anyone have a recommendation for a home testing set up?

Also does anyone have a link to a easy to understand "diabetic food Plan"?

peace, Maria
#8 of 9 Old 01-30-2003, 11:00 PM

hi there- got my real results back from my blood draw ( instead of just the finger stick) and my 1 hr result was only 110- not 170! I had no idea there could be such a difference! So, me & MW are very excited!
(also trying to bump this-seems like there's something wrong with this thread)
#9 of 9 Old 02-04-2003, 04:04 PM

Treelove~

How'd it go?????? I got my results yesterday and I did pass.

Good Luck~

Lisa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page