What are you looking for in a childbirth class? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-22-2006, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently a Bradley teacher who is strongly thinking about giving up my accreditation to teach independently. I really do not want this thread to get into a debate about one particular method over another but I am wondering what you are looking for in a childbirth education class. For example:

•How long would you like it last (in terms of weeks)?
•What information would you like covered?
•What information would you prefer not covering in class?
•Is an informational web site, serving as a resource for the class, important to you?
•Would you find a binder of articles and studies to be a useful resource for you?
•Is the class location important (in or out of a hospital setting)
•Would you prefer an instructor who is accredited with a particular method?
•What would you be willing to pay for your “perfect” childbirth class?

Thank you for all of your time in answering these questions.
MS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-22-2006, 10:13 PM

Well, I won't be taking a class this time. Took Bradley last time, and it worked for us. But, I took it simply because my OB (who is amazing; I adore him) said it was the one to take if I was planning a natural birth. I didn't do research or anything.

-I think eight weeks would be good. Time enough to bond, reiterate important facts, etc.
-For me and DH, the most important things were probably: signs of labor, stages of labor, what's normal, what techniques could possibly help. Also, the repitition of LABOR IS NORMAL. Your body knows what to do. We also liked the inclusion of what could happen (back labor, stalled labor, interventions) because we felt more prepared. We had a couple mommas who had given birth recently come and tell their stories, and that was really empowering. I enjoyed going back and telling mine after DS was born.
-Ummm...I'm not thinking of anything not to cover.
-Website is super important to me.
-Yes, I like the idea of a binder, particularly as labor number two approaches. I have something to look back on.
-Location not important.
-For me, it was all about recommendations. If you could get in with the local doulas, midwives, and natural-friendly OBs, you'd probably be good to go.
-We paid $250 for our Bradley class. So, yes!

HTH,
Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#3 of 6 Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 AM

Good luck! Hope things work out for you! I am trained as a teacher, but I haven't had my baby yet or taken my childbirth class(es) yet, so that's the perspective I'm coming from.

Probably 6-8 sessions/weeks, that would be similar to other non-Bradley classes.

This really partly depends on your audience - hospital, birth center, or home births. What I look for:

Information and reassurance about giving birth, Information for partners who haven't been obsessively reading pregnancy/childbirth/newborn books, how the partner can help during labor and birth, Information and tips about breastfeeding, how to avoid medical interventions & how to make informed decisions when you can't avoid them, how often birth happens different than planned and how to feel OK with this, how to relax during birth and a realistic view of whether this is possible to do when you're in labor, birth stories and videos, lots of time for questions and discussion. The class I signed up for also includes a reunion potluck after the births, which I thought was a pretty cool idea!

I think information is great to have. I wouldn't focus on negative birth stories, I guess, but OTOH try to be realistic. I hear that some classes talk about early pregnancy, and I'd just skim that or let people talk a little about their experiences (as an icebreaker) rather than doing a lot of that.

•Is an informational web site, serving as a resource for the class, important to you?

I think that's a great idea! Especially if classmates can discuss things together on a forum or a mailing list.

Also, a website that includes your curriculum and information about your class is a big bonus for people looking for classes to take. I am much less likely to sign up for a class if I can't easily get that information without having to call.

•Would you find a binder of articles and studies to be a useful resource for you?

Absolutely! Especially if it's well organized and professional looking, I think that would impress your students and be helpful for later reference. Especially include what to do in emergencies - signs of premature labor, breastfeeding troubles, etc.

I personally prefer out of hospital and think you have more flexibility with your curriculum that way. Again, it depends on who you are trying to aim your class toward. I think a lot of people take the hospital classes because they're busy with work and that's where they're giving birth. I agree that you should try to get involved with local doulas, midwives, and family-friendly OBs. I based my childbirth class decision on recommendations. Maybe you could offer to have some of them come to your classes for free.

That really doesn't matter to me, I am happy with a class that prepares me for birth and helps to empower me and my partner.

Well, when people sign up for a childbirth class, they don't know if it is going to be perfect, especially if you're just starting out on your own, so I would try not to look at it that way if I were you. I would *definitely* not charge more than $200 (remember, we're talking less classes than a Bradley class), and preferably not more than $150 unless you're in very high demand. Unless there's a lack of birth class instructors in your area, you *might* even want to start at $100-$125 in the beginning, just to encourage people to sign up for your class, then when you're more established and get some good recommendations, you can increase that. This also depends on the going rates of other instructors in your area, I'm in a pretty urban area.

Hope this helps!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 01-23-2006, 03:37 PM

I think PPD should be covered, I just recently over read a discussion on another message board where everyone agreed that it should have been covered.
#5 of 6 Old 01-23-2006, 08:53 PM

6-8weeks is ideal. I'm taking a Bradley class started in March. 12 weeks is a bit long but I really want a natural birth so It will be worth it. If our family and friends were in the area or if the class were on a week night it would not be an issue, but we are never here every weekend for 12 weeks straight because or families are not here.
Everything in the Bradley curriculum sounds good to me.
If the class is for those in the late 2nd tri I would not want to spend a lot of time on pregnancy up to that point (early pregnancy)
The website would help me make a decision on whether I would want to take that class. I prefer to do online research before making a lot of phone calls inquiring.
Yes, for later pregnancies.
No, although I would prefer an out of hospital setting.
If you are advertising that you are teaching a certain method than yes. If you are teaching what you think is the best of all the methods from your experience and you have come recommended or have good references then I don't think accredidation is needed.
6-8 classes at about $20 a class ($120-$160) is resonable. I would consider paying that for a refresher for the next baby. We are paying $350 for our Bradley class. I doubt I would pay $350 again for a refresher.
#6 of 6 Old 01-24-2006, 03:03 AM

gwen's mom,
Oh wow, I have to PM you... I'll do that sometime super soon.
Have you heard of PureBirth yet? If not, I have a ton of awesome stuff for you to look over and consider. If its what you're looking for you can switch your certification rather easily. Its MUCH more throrough than Bradley (though I have taken Bradley and greatly benefited from it)
... I was going to teach Bradley but I just knew there had to be something out there where I could really teach all of the things that I wanted. It didn't exist at the time, but it does now, and I am in the teacher training program. It isn't a "method" it is a non-profit organization (the 7th National Childbirth Organization), consistent with the Midwifery Model of Care, which teaches a vast amount of information, equipping parents with the education they need to make truly educated decisions, as well as many helpful tools to use when laboring. Its a tripple certification program (BCE, CD, ED). Anyway, I have a ton of info for you if you're interested. It is absolutly AMAZING. The teachers are treated respectfully and equally, we are a family. There is endless support. Also, we are taught and given tools to run our businesses. It really is the most amazing thing... I'm so excited I could go on forever! But anyway, I'll PM you, and anyone can feel free to PM me if you want more info.
~Holly

P.S. There is a temporary website up you can look at, there isn't a lot on it yet as the official site is not scheduled to go up until the end of Feb. www.purebirth.org

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page