Rib Pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-30-2003, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife is 23 weeks pregnant with our 1st child and she is having terrible rib pain on her left side. The doctor says that everything is fine, it's normal pain from the pregnancy that is made worse by her small frame, she's only 4'10". Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom, encouragement or advise that I can share with her, at this point the pain is so bad that she can no longer work and is having to go out on disability and the thought that it's only going to get worse is dreadful to both of us.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-30-2003, 06:44 PM

I had this a LOT with my last two pg. My midwife said it is from the pancreas. I bought some papaya enzyme tablets and took 2 after every meal and 1or2 everytime the pain hit. It worked really well for me. Papaya tabs taste great too.

Best Wishes
Sarah
#3 of 9 Old 01-30-2003, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Sarah,

Thanks for the tip, I'll pick some up for her ASAP and give them a try. Do you have any reccomendations for brands or dosages?
#4 of 9 Old 01-30-2003, 07:20 PM

The same thing happened to me though both of my pregnancies. It could be the muscles seperating from the rib cage wall. It is uncomfortable during pregnancy with all of the extra weight, but will probably go away afterward.

If the pain is very strong you may want to recommend that your wife sees her primary physician. The gallbladder lies beneath the ribs. Sometimes the gallbladder can become inflamed during pregnancy.

I hope your wife feels better!!
#5 of 9 Old 01-30-2003, 07:41 PM

I am so sorry for your wife. I know just how she feels. The pain is terrible for me, too.

Papaya enzyme is a good suggestion. You can buy them at Whole Foods or any natural foods store. Just follow the directions on the package. I especially recommend papaya if your wife has been having a lot of heartburn along with this pain under her ribs.

What really works for me everytime is heat therapy. I take 2 or 3 baths every day, and I use a heating pad other times. It really takes the edge off, even if it doesn't completely relieve my pain.

Also, you can massage her upper back. That helps, too.

I hope she gets to feeling better!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#6 of 9 Old 01-30-2003, 07:58 PM

I don't recall any specific brand, just make sure it is sugar/color free. The other thing I just remembered is that frozen peas or ice pack felt great! As pg progressed baby would protest the cold which was fun :LOL

If the pain is on the right side suspect gall bladder problems. Pancreas is on the left.

Best Wishes
Sarah
#7 of 9 Old 05-16-2008, 06:07 PM

I had the same problem, it was just that the terrible rib pain occurred when I was sneezing (I was more sensitive to pollen, dust, practically everything...) and after the sneezing - short sharp pain. Papaya tabs did help! And they do taste good :
#8 of 9 Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 AM

Also, chiropractic treatments. I can't say enough good about them!
#9 of 9 Old 05-18-2008, 11:55 PM

sorry to hear!
i had bad rib pain on my left side too. i am 5'2 and i never thought of it from being small.
my rib pain was only really bothersome when i was lying on my left side. i would inhale and it would move/pop and exhale it would or seemed to go back into place. it was too painful on the leftside to sleep.
once i got later into my pregnancy, mmmmmmm about 26-28 weeks it got better and sometimes disappeared.
anyways, your situation sounds different and she sshould look into alternative care. like a chiropractor, cranail scarel...
good luck.
things usually do pass!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page