Posterior Baby Question / Your experience - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first baby was posterior and I had back labour with her. I ended up taking an epidural because of horrible back pain. The pushing stage however was normal and the doctor turned dd the "correct way" at the very end with his hand. DD was 5.15 lb at birth.

I just found out that this baby is posterior too and lies in the exact same position as my dd. I was REALLY hoping for the baby to be in a proper position this time around so that it would improve my chances of delivering without any pain medication. However, the doctor said that this baby is likely to be around 7.5 pounds already (at 36.5 weeks) which means that it is likely to be more difficult for me to labour and push this baby out as compared to my dd. (It does not mean that it will be so, but just a higher probability of me asking for epidural again and for a longer pushing stage...which hopefully will go without any forcepts or other interventions).

I know someone recommended spinning babies web site, but I want to know if doing those exercises really helped anyone to change the baby's position.

Also, if you can recommend any in-labour positions to ease back pain, it would be much appreciated as well.

I'd like to hear some positive experiences from moms who had posterior babies and delivered without pain medication. How did you 2nd labour go as opposed to first if both babies were posterior?

Just need some positive info so that I could be more optimistic of delivering this time without epi and medical interventions.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 PM

I would go to a chiro to try to get the babe to turn. Otherwise Leaning over a recliner, birth ball in a hot shower anything like that are great ways to reduce pain. Hot compresses work great too. I had back labour with both of my DC and neither of them were posterior.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:27 PM

network chiropractic or craniosacral therapy. Both my kiddos were posterior and I am doing everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen again. It is (for me) the shape of my pelvis so I'm trying to gently alter that. Chiropractic did not help ME for either of my first two so I changed modalities. Network chiropractic actually uses stimuli on the nerves to try and shift the bones...hard to explain but there's already been a difference. Craniosacral therapy will do a very similar thing.
In labor I received acupuncture which helped immensely. I had no drugs for either delivery, so I can honestly say there was a BIG difference. The second labor was much longer, but easier because I really knew what to expect. THe first time I was so shocked because I thought it was gonna be a breeze. The posterior thing is kind of a shock, KWIM? When you are ready for it, it's different. I never asked for meds in either one, but If I had been in a place where I could have received meds for my first, I may have. I also had magnesium, calcium as well as skullcap on hand for my second labor which helped things. Does that answer all of your questions?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
network chiropractic or craniosacral therapy. ...

..Network chiropractic actually uses stimuli on the nerves to try and shift the bones...hard to explain but there's already been a difference. Craniosacral therapy will do a very similar thing...

..I also had magnesium, calcium as well as skullcap on hand for my second labor which helped things. Does that answer all of your questions?
What exactly is network chiropractic and who does it and where can I get it? I am completely unfamiliar with both network chiropracit and craniosacral therapy.

Also for magnesium, calcium...is it something that you took in a form of a pill or what? Sorry if my questions are too stupid. I just don't know who else to ask.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 PM

Not stupid at all, and isn't that what a community is for? I did calcium magnesium in the form of a powder because the company is great and it's the right proportions and totally bioavailable. It really helps to decrease pain and ease muscles in a way that isn't contraindicated in labor. It has a great taste and you just put it in water and sip it like a tea. The company is Natural Vitality.
As for the network chiropractic and craniosacral therapy...I would recommend a good craniosacral therapist over a great network chiropractor. You could try a search in your area (not sure if there's a database or something) or contact physical therapy and chiropractors offices to find someone who does craniosacral therapy or integrative manual therapy. I would almost start with PT's. It's very gentle and VERY effective. We swear by it, and I'm really excited about using it in pregnancy. My daughter avoided major surgery for a neck injury with CST. It's amazing.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 PM

my dd was posterier (nak)
and i did it at home drug free
i have since heard that squatting too much in the last tri mester can force a baby into the posterior position...
my dd did turn on her own in the pushing stage and it did takr me 5 hrs to push her out and i was in labor for 5 days....what i will do different this time is sleep and rest and eat as much as i can when i first go into labor, that way if it gets tuff i will have moreebnergy to deal with it....

i like the pp suggestion for chiro therepy....i am doing that as well this time and great idea aout the calcium D
Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 PM

I do think those exercises help..I'd do lots of pelvic tilts and spend time on your hands and knees whenever you can.

My posterior baby experience is a little different...with my last my labor was really easy compared to my first two (both those were induced though). It wasn't until pushing that we figured something was up. It took me a while to push him out. He was posterior (and 11.5 lbs) but we think he moved that way sometime during pushing because my labor wasn't "back labor" by any means. I have, however, heard of women not having back labor even with posterior babies or like the pp, having back labor without posterior babies. So I think there are some variables there...

I'd definitely do the exercises and look for a chiro who can do the Webster technique...I mean, it can't hurt yk? Good luck, and I hope babe turns for you!!!!

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 PM

My first was posterior, I did have back labor, but she was born at home--obviously no epi. We had a tub, the water helped immensely, but I think a hot shower would be good also.

There are lots of things you can do to encourage the baby to flip even now. I don't think 36.5 is too late. My mw got dd to flip while I was in labor (using homeopathic pulsatilla), but she flipped back before she was born.
I did all the exercises, religiously from 36 weeks on with my second and no back labor.

There is another site I like better than spinning babies, I think it's in another posterior baby thread. Some of the big things you should be doing--never reclining back in a chair/recliner/sofa; an exercise-birth ball is the perfect thing to be sitting on from now on--and actually leaning your belly forward. If you need to travel in the car you want to try to position the seat also to tip you forward. You need to be doing at least 20 minutes/am and pm, of being on your hands and feet; crawling around also would be optimal--apparently there's something specific in the crawling action. I do think the exercises work--it's all about getting the babe comfortable in a position other than back to back with you.

Pulsatilla is the homeopathic remedy that can be used to flip the baby. I would imagine that it's a 200C or 1M strength. You should only need to take it once.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebaby
look for a chiro who can do the Webster technique...
I believe that the Webster technique is specifically for turning breech babies, not posterior ones. Yes on the chiro. but make sure you're clear on what you need.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:18 PM

Here's the Optimal foetal positioning site. I think it's got more-better organized info than spinning babies.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:40 PM

I have no personal experience with this, but my midwife uses a chiropractic technique called Diaphragmatic Release. She said she hasn't had a posterior baby in years. I found an explanation of how to do it:

http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/nat...or/labor29.htm

Hope this helps some!

ETA: I've also heard really good things about the book Back Labor No More! I know that it's part of the hypnobabies course and a lot of woman has used the techiniques in it to turn their babies during labor.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my ds was born posterior after 8 hours of labor. it hurt ALOT, but anterior labors hurt too! i was on my hands and knees, which i regret because it would have been cool to see him come out face up. i didnt know he was posterior so it was a suprise! it definitely made me feel confident because if i can birth a posterior baby, i can definitely birth an OA baby!!!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Old 01-26-2006, 11:54 PM

I was thinking that too when I posted, that the Webster was for breech...so I googled and some sites say that it can actually help posterior as well. I guess my theory is that everything is worth a shot

That Optimal Foetal Positioning site is excellent too!!

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

Old 01-27-2006, 12:26 AM

This is a lot of good information out there - these ladies have given lots of great suggestions.

The Webster technique is not only for breech babies - it is designed to bring the baby to the optimal birthing position
It worked for me with #4

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 01-27-2006, 12:55 AM

Ds #2 was posterior. It's definatly not too late for the baby to turn the right way. DS turned posterior the night before i went into labour!!! I had him at home he was 9lbs2oz. He never did turn the right way, and what helped me get through the pain of back labour was sitting on a birthing stool with my midwife applying presure to my back. And being on my hands and knees helped alot too.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DS was posterior for about 7 hours of my 9 hour labor. I'm lucky, however (or either it was the Hypnobabies!) and I didn't feel a bit of pain until late in transition, 8+ cm. By that point he had already turned over the right way. At the end I was very distracted (too many people in the room, 7 nurses chatting away and doing shift turnover right next to my bed : ) and I feel this distracted my from my hypnosis. I spent a lot of labor sitting on the birthing ball leaning over the bed, on hands & knees supported by the birthing ball and also leaning over in the shower. I think my positions helped encourage him to turn over before the pushing stage.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 01-27-2006, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much to all of you. I will make every effort to use your suggestions to turn this baby.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:50 AM

My chiro is doin the Webster Technique already, & I'm only 20 weeks. She says its to help get my pelvis in alignment with my round ligaments.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 01-28-2006, 01:48 AM

I just had to reply. My first was posterior, I honestly don' teven remember having contrax in the front. But, born at home, water being a huge relief. Second one was not OP. the second time, my midwife was actually the woman at the spinning babies site (love you if you're reading!). I really believe that those exercises did help. Also, you've gotten a lot of good advice here about how to sit (belly forward, on a ball, etc).

But the thing I wanted to address from your original post is that a larger baby is not necessarily harder to push out. I'm a doula, and I have seen a bit of birth. I really don't see too much connection between pushing length and size of the baby. In fact, the birth where the mom pushed the longest was one of the smaller babies I've seen. You aren't stuck here, even if your baby doesn't turn early. That's why movement in labor is so important. Climbing stairs can do wonders, the shifting of your hips back and forth in that rhythmic way can really move baby around. The other thing is, if baby's head is tucked, it's possible to be born posterior, sometimes called "sunny-side up". DD was born and I was freaked out by her face staring up at me.

Good luck with it all.

R~mama to 3

Old 01-28-2006, 04:21 AM

(nak)
hands & knees as much as possible...I cleaned every inch of my floors in the last few weeks...with the last few...
(My first was posterior and after 36+ hours of labour he finally turned while I was laying on my side crying about them prepping me for a section.)

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

Old 01-29-2006, 01:36 PM

My DD was posterior, although I am convinced that she would have turned during pushing if I hadn't been made to remain semi-prone. I kept wanting to flip to hands & knees (my body knew what to do!) but my medwife wouldn't let me :

Anyway, some great things you can do to turn a posterior babe before labor have already been mentioned. One I didn't see is sumo stomps. Basically just like it sounds - spread your legs and stomp around the room. Looks funny but the swinging motions are really supposed to help.

Off to check the other sites now
Old 01-30-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamama
My first was posterior, I did have back labor...
...major understatement for me. it was excruiating pain!!!!

i was adviced to get on my hands and knees a lot prior to labor but he didn't turn. he was 9lbs 13oz though so maybe he didn't have the room?? but OUCH!!!! i second the warm water...labor felt much better once i got into the tub but my labor was so fast i didn't even have 30 minutes in the tub before they wanted me out for pushing...he did turn at some point while i was pushing but i have no idea how...

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 01-30-2006, 01:15 PM

It's a hard question for me as well. I did everything (accupuncture, chiropractic, massage, hands and knees for WEEKS etc.) and both were posterior and NEITHER turned. There are some people with anatomical difficulties, and I'm one of them. I wish any of these techniques had worked for me! Accupuncture at least alleviated the pain in labor...
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Good suggestions! Just reiterating what others have posted and what worked for me:

- Pulsatilla
- Hands and knees
- Tailor sitting
- Chiropractor

My 2nd DS was 'post term' and as soon as he turned face down after almost 10 days of painful BH in my back, I went into labor. Sometimes our bodies need time to let those babies move into the ideal position. My midwife was great and helping me through this very hard emotional time.

User Tag List