Too much amniotic fluid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-31-2003, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not pregnant but close friends of ours are. Anyway she had an ultrasound a few days ago and they said she had too much amniotic fluid and have her doing non stress tests 2 days a week now . They are very mainstream although he seems open to all information. The doc's didn't tell them what the problems are w/ it.

So can any of you give me info I can pass on to them. Advice, articles, links, potential problems etc.

Thank you SO MUCH!! Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-01-2003, 11:42 AM

I'm not sure about this myself...anyone?
#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2003, 01:24 PM

Most of the time, it is nothing serious AT ALL, and has no particular cause. They might be cautious at delivery, a little more chance of cord prolapse with extra fluid. Good to avoid artificial rupture of membranes until the head is down, I have read. But the risk is slim. Second largest cause is gestational diabetes. that's most common. VERY rarely, there can be a certain kind of birth defect usually involving the trachea and brain. Pretty much, that's not really worth considering...but they may read about it. So there's issues...but mostly, some variation in fluid is pretty darn normal.

about.com has a good section to start with...polyhydramnios or hydramnios is what it's usually called.
#4 of 6 Old 02-01-2003, 01:47 PM

I was just diagnosed with this last Monday. It can be a sign of gest. diabetes, multiples, heart defect, etc. In my case, they are thinking gest. diabetes so I did the 1 hr. glucose test that Monday and failed. Yesterday, I did the 3 hr. test and am awaiting the results.

From what my midwife told me yesterday and the perinatologist on Monday is that it can cause pre-term labor and if I don't have diabetes, I might just have polyhydramnios. They will probably just keep a closer eye on me (another ultrasound) but I can still deliver at the freestanding birth center.

Good Luck~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#5 of 6 Old 02-01-2003, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure but I know they've got her worried. I'll ask about gestational diabetes. She's about 36 weeks preg. Isn't that the time amniotic fluid is at it's peak?

With my 2 pregnancies my problem was not ENOUGH amniotic fluid. Wish I could have borrowed some from you

How they found out about my friend's is that she got into a car accident. Not too bad but it bumped her around a lot. I was worried about that triggering labor but NOPE.

What irks me about this topic is that amniotic fluid was such a BIG DEAL in my pregnancy I discovered that every tech. that did my ultrasound came up w/ different levels. Also they can't measure pockets that have cord in it. In my case I felt that really hurt my chances for delivering vaginally. Which I ended having a ces. at 37 1/2 weeks. This just brings up alot of issues w/ me

Anyway I'm seeing her today and see we'll talk.

Lisamarie - I'm glad you have a supportive midwife and this isn't going to affect you choice of where and how you want to birth
Sometimes I get so disappointed about how so many med. professionals SCARE pregnant women .

Sorry this turned into such a rant I'm still working through my own issues w/ my births. Thanks for "listening"

Anymore info. is greatly apprecited. Thanks
#6 of 6 Old 02-04-2003, 09:09 PM

I had a lot of amniotic fluid in my last pregnancy, so they screened me for everything, and the baby and I were fine.

But she surprized everyone when she was born weighing ELEVEN pounds! No, I did not have gestational diabetes, but we have big babies in dh and my families.

She wasn't even the biggest! There are some twelve pounders in dh's family tree!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page