Can we do a baby name thread (again?) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never in a million years thought that picking a name would be SO hard!!! When we got married, I took dh's last name, dropped my middle name and made my maiden name into my middle name. (was SEB, now SBT) We agreed at the time that since I dropped my middle name (Elaine) that if we had a daughter, we'd name her that. So that was easy and settled awhile ago and I still feel like that would be a good choice. We also decided that we'd use my maiden name for all of our kids' middle names. Once again, making things easy. BUT we just can't agree on a boy's name!! We agreed on Gabriel and Luke, but then realized that dh's brother's cat's name is Gabe (they live nearby and we take care of the cats a lot) and then my aunt and uncle got a dog and named him Luke. grrrr.... I just don't want our families to be thinking about their pets when they think about our kid! Also, I'm of English/Germanic/Scandinavian decent and DH is Filipino...so he's more interested in hispanic sounding names and I'm more drawn towards northern European names. He likes names that can have lots of nicknames and I'm not. (not as big of an issue, but still a slight one). I told him I'd go for a more hispanic sounding name if it didn't have any R's in it because I can't roll my R's and don't want to sound silly saying my own child's name!

Oh and we don't have many choices for family names. Our dad's are both Richard/Ricardo and both Jr's...so we've all decided there are enough Ricks and we don't want to add any more! I have two brothers and he has 3...feel like we'd be playing favorites if we chose one of their names. My great-grandfather was Henry and dh likes that, but I'm not convinced.

I guess I'm looking for name suggestions more than I'm offering the ones I like!! Any ideas based on what I've said?

How do you decide?! I really want a name that feels JUST RIGHT, but I'm not finding it.... I also feel like I have some crazy association with any name that DH suggests, even if it's from elementary school! How do you get over that?!

Thanks, we're really frustrated with names right now...I hope this wasn't too off topic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 07:31 PM

Sharon I love the name Henry but it is becoming very popular and I don't really like popular names.

My sister in law is Mexican and my brother is scandanavian and she will not do any hispanic sounding names. She is very against it so she is the opposite of your husband.

Too bad about Luke and Gabe cuz they are both great names except Luke is quite popular again.

What was yours and his mothers maiden names. What towns did they and you grew up in? What are more family names, uncles etc...
#63 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 07:46 PM

Sharon-
My S/O is Filipino and I am of Scandinavian/northern european decent too! very cool.
I also have strange associations with names he suggests.
(we're not pg now, but talk about it). The good thing is that we have very similar tastes in names. We both like unique names, but normal spellings. One thing i've noticed is that it doesn't seem like there is a lot of hispanic names in his family. they have more biblical names and very unique names.

Some male names from his side of the family:
Teofilo (dad, although people call him June) (i like Teo as a nn)
Lordrhyne (cousin)
Seran (cousin)
Zillander (seran's real name, seran is a nickname)

I love all the nn that Pinoy families come up with for eachother, sometimes not even seeming to match/come from the original name:
Boy
Pinky
Peachy
the list can go on as I'm sure you know.

I want to wish you good luck with coming up with a solution.
#64 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 08:12 PM

pardon my ignorance, but i thot Filipino was more pac-islander than hispanic? they trill their r's in tagalag (sp?), too?

interesting challenges to naming. i'm just fascinated reading this thread.

and i still can't come up with any names. except, i've been thinking about

ophelia - i just like it.
and I had a friend in school who's sisters name was Elena, long e's. I always liked her name.

back to the shadows....
#65 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 08:25 PM

Clarity - SCHIST... heh heh heh... my geo teacher had a bumper sticker that said "Schist happens".

Wwhippetcrazy - your names made me think immediately of hockey - Yanic Perrault, and of course Wayne Gretsky. Course, my ds is Owen, like Owen Nolan.... and I thought about Cordelia too, from das Hip, but I am too much of a Buffy fan to do that.

I like the name Kate. For a while I thought India Pacific for a girl, dh said everyone would know I was a geography major. I still want Anya Jezebel, what ds would have been if he was a girl!

on song names - Emmaline I think is a Ben Folds Five song!

I love the name Aiden, dh doesn't though. I know a Rowan and a Roman!
#66 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 09:25 PM

Sharon,

There are lots of lovely hispanic names. I think they're so melodic.

FOR GIRLS:
Maria
Ana Maria
Marisa
Lisa
Elisa
Marisa
Carena (only sort of hispanic)
Natalia
Celia
Pilar
Lourdes
Dolores
Adriana
Claudia
Luciana

FOR BOYS:
Miguel
Juan
Juan Carlos
Pedro
Pablo
David (a very neutral name)
Matias
Andres
#67 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 09:26 PM

MysticHealerMom,
you are correct in that Filipinos are more Pac. Islander then hispanic. there is some R trilling, but not as much as Spanish. there is a lot of NG and UNG sounds.
#68 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 09:51 PM

There is a strong Spanish and Mexican history in the Philippines. One side of Dh's family has strong Chinese roots and the other is probably originally Spanish. Dh looks more hispanic than asian. His last name is also a common Mexican last name, which just reinforces those likely roots. Neither his mom or dad speak Tagolag...they come from different parts of the islands. Very complicated family background. (I find it fascinating, but it IS complicated!)

Katt, cool coincidence how similar our backgrounds are! I don't find this combination very often! A co-worker has friends who are white/Filipino and they ended up with a red head child!!! Isn't that strange?! I'm SO curious to see what our kids look like! I too love all the funny nn's dh's family has!! I have NO idea where some of them come from!

Well, we'll just have to see what we can agree on, I guess. Dh's other idea is some name from mythology. We have friends who just named their son Orion (love it!) and that's what sparked that idea.

This is a fun conversation ladies! Other than pets, I've never had to name anything before and it feels like such an honor that I want to be sure to get the right one!
#69 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 10:07 PM

since the baby is due in August how about Augusto or Augusta?

Anyway I did not say this but my sister in law that I said was mexican is 1/2 chinese. Her mexican name is Mildred and her chinese name is Akemi. I love the name Mildred. She hates it so she goes by Akemi. Anyway she grew up in Monterrey Mexico. Actually Santiago. I like that name too.
#70 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 11:16 PM

Sharon-
One of my mom's friend is named Orrin
I've always liked that name, similar to Orion (which I like as well) but not seen as much.

Good luck!
#71 of 108 Old 02-05-2003, 11:27 PM

Quote:
your names made me think immediately of hockey - Yanic Perrault, and of course Wayne Gretsky. Course, my ds is Owen, like Owen Nolan.... and I thought about Cordelia too, from das Hip, but I am too much of a Buffy fan to do that.
Hee Hee....you found our secret for boys names 8-)....
Hamish wasn't a hockey name...but every name we've talked about this time is hockey....and yes we picked Yanic cause we are HUGE Canadiens fans.

Anytime I say what about ____ for a middle name...dh finds a hockey player to associate it with

Katt....my girlfriend named her little on Orinn....very different...

Jen
#72 of 108 Old 02-06-2003, 04:11 PM

hee hee! I tried to convince dh of the name Guy (as in LaFleur) but he wouldn't go for it....
#73 of 108 Old 02-06-2003, 05:01 PM

Jen, your post echoes what's happening at my house. In order to get Soleil, I told dh he could name the next baby....but he's threatning to name the babe a common name, which, would NOT do considering Soleil's beautiful name.
So, I've had to 'step in' , and these are the two I *think* we are decided on: Mahina for a girl (hawaiian for Moon) and Makalo for a boy...I love "mak' for a nickname...I don't know what we would call Mahina for short, though Soleil doesn't really have a nickname...Sully sometimes, but not very often.

So, Mahina and Makalo. Love them.

Mamasoleil
#74 of 108 Old 02-07-2003, 11:35 AM

Owensmom....we thought about Guy...but knew no one would pronounce it correctly and he would get Guy...but I do like the name!

mamasoleil...I love your choices....very cool names!

I was asking dh what names he was thinking of and he was like "I'm not really worried about it right now...."...well geez man I am!!! ....thankfully he is into different names as well, so hopefully he comes up with a good one. I just wish I knew what he was thinking about...Men!

Jen
#75 of 108 Old 02-09-2003, 01:19 AM

I'm only 6 weeks LMP, but it seems like we've been thinking of baby names forever...started talking about them right after we found out. Can't think of one that just grabs me, but like:

Girl:
Maia--maybe Maia Elisabeth or
Maia Simone,
Evelyn (Eva for short--dh's #1 choice)
Olivia--I love Liv, but it sounds funny with our last name

Boys:
Can't really think of anything.
#76 of 108 Old 02-09-2003, 09:46 AM

I'm freaking out because my frontrunner girl name was mentioned waaaay too many times! I have loved this name and planned to use it since I was a young girl and suddenly in the the past two years it is becoming mainstream! My baby is due like any day now and you guys have me all aflutter that I will be the first (around here) to name my child this and then 87 bazillion people will follow suit! Arrrggghhhhh! Oh... The name is: Maia (maya, maija ect)
#77 of 108 Old 02-09-2003, 01:44 PM

We have two names for each:

Girl- Mason or Avery
Boy- Mason or Quinn

We're not sure about going with the gender neutral name, but I really like Mason for a girl. (I think this is a girl I am expecting in March.) I have also heard our son's name used for girls since his birth, although it feels clearly male to me!

Quigley
(ds born 9/00, expecting #2 3/03)
#78 of 108 Old 02-09-2003, 05:38 PM

Thought I would chime in with some names that are popular here in Quebec.

Dali for a girl. (My friend's daughter's name is Dali-Anne).
Océane (also for a girl, this one is French in origin)
Ophélie (gaining in popularity)
Azélice (a take on Alice, which is popular both in French and in English)
Charlotte
Ariane
Sandrine

For a boy, Alaric, Lucio, Domenic (not so much that these are popular, more that these are names of three little boys on my street). If dd had been a boy, I would have named her/him Sacha.

My current faves are Wesley, Levi, Iris and Willa (I have to admit that I took Iris from PM and Willa from Serena -- bad Dodo!).
#79 of 108 Old 02-11-2003, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chiromom, don't take this the wrong way, but Maia reminds me of JRR Tolkein's work. Maiar (the plural) are angelic figures, who are often helpful (Like Gandalf) but some became evil (Like Sauron and the balrog).

I'm working on my husband about the junior. II is reserved for the second boy in the line with a name, if the predecessor wasn't his father. For example, my grandfather's name was Peter Jonathan, and had I been a boy, that would have been my name, which would have made me Peter Jonathan Del Pozo II.

But I wasn't a boy, so I have a husband who wants a junior to deal with, and I'm trying to convince him to go with James Darrell instead. Darrell was the name of my grandfather (actually my mother's stepfather, but he married my grandmother before I was born), who died last month, and also the name of my husband's best friend growing up. I could live with James Douglas II (after my husband's father, but I don't think he'll go for that.)

The talk of hispanic names reminded me of some boys' names I like:

Joaquin (supposed to be an accent on the i)
Vincente.

These were both names of great grandfathers of mine on my dad's side. I wouldn't actually use Joaquin because it's a Christian name, though. Note that neither one has an R in it.

If I had free reign to name a boy, other names near the top of my list would be:

Roland (my m. grandfather's name)
Richard
Phillip
Thorby (from a Heinlein novel)
Aragorn
Elrond (my dh actually likes this one, too)
Anakin
about three dozen more Elvish names from Tolkien
Vanyel (from a Mercedes Lackey novel)

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#80 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 01:14 AM

My husband and I love nature names DD# 1 is Lilyana(lilyAWNA) Rain and with # 2 on the way we are looking to lots of new nature names:

so far our #1 name for boy is River, but we also like Cedar, Alder and Judah.

For a girl we like Violet but its hard to come up with a middle name that sounds good with violet...

Chiromom- I was a preschool teacher for years and Maya is VERY common but how about a variation, I really like AMAYA....
#81 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 01:31 AM

This is the fun part. I have quite a long list, but am favoring Nikolai (Niko for short) for a boy, Sophie for a girl.
#82 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 01:47 AM

Dh and I also favour the "nature" type names.... right out the top of our list is:

Echo Kait or Echo Kaelin for a girl

and

Winter Arthur for a boy

I don't like arthur that much, but it was Dh's grandfather's name, and he REALLY wants to use it, so I'm giving in.

Trying to live life to the fullest.....with DH,  2 fun kids, and a wild dog. 

#83 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 03:04 AM

hey everyone,

iam new to the board, just signed in on the expecting date thread.
i was surprised that my husband and i picked names so soon, but it came up one night and seemd to be perfect, we agreed on a boy name and girl name within a few hours....once we found this one for a girl, we loved it!

girl:
mahdi kyla
(first name meaning expected one, middle name meaning lovely)

boy:

riley jack or liam (for middle)

right now it's just baby
#84 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 10:07 AM

love Riley Jack
#85 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 10:40 AM

Our three were not named until they were 3 or 4 days old - I have to see what they look like first! - they are Caleb ( now there are a bajillion Calebs around here), Lydia and Zane.

Speaking of popularity, our town is bursting with Mikaylas, Kayleighs, Connors, Jordans, Josh, Sarah, Emily.

Our last name is Irish, 2 syllables and awkward, and we are of British Isles heritage. I like old-fashioned names. Names I like include:

girls - Maeve
Fiona
MarySue
Keziah
Elna ( mom says I can't use this cause its the name of her mean aunt. lol)
Frances
Marjorie

boys -
Rex
Clarence ( ok, this is kinda weird, but it's family name)
Ray
Gordon ( nn Gordy - another hockey player name!)
Glen
Walter

There are others but I'm drawing a blank right now.

MM
#86 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 10:50 AM

MM, what do you think of Francelle?

I like Frances too.
#87 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Names we used:

Madeline (though we were doinbg something original : )Ophelia (at least noone will have her middle name )
Lilyka mae
Ava (again thought we were being so freaking original) Aexandria

Names we didn't use but that *I* really liked"
Girls

Pheobe
Fiona
Ocean
Paloma
Vanessa

Boys:
osiah
Isiah (sp?)
Beck Loyal (would have been dc#3 if she was a he)
Denali Alexander (dc#2 if she had been a he)
Basil
Indigo (apperently this is really faminine but i liked it)
Sky

Names my dh realy really liked that I vetoed:
Gretta
Kate

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#88 of 108 Old 02-12-2003, 02:49 PM

Willow Tree ~ My 11 year old niece is named Violet Haven. I have always thought that combo. is lovely. I think Violet is a great name no matter what you put with it!
#89 of 108 Old 02-13-2003, 07:32 PM

What do you think of these boys names?

Hunter
Jackson
Edward
Dakota
Fisher
Painter
August
Garrison
Jarrison
Carlton
Jackie
#90 of 108 Old 02-13-2003, 08:47 PM

Well, I haven't heard anyone throw out my kiddos' names, so I'll mention them. DS's name is Indiana James....we call him Indy for short. This was DH's choice and the ONLY name he wanted for our son (I wanted to name him Liam). And our brand new baby girl's name is Esme Anna-Rose. Esme is pronounced Ez-mee and Anna-Rose is my MIL name, Roseanna, transposed.

If we ever have another boy.......I want to use Liam. Our last name is similar to the actor...Liam Neeson(m?) and I think that flows really well. Middle name......I have also always liked the name "Ansel." Yup......from the photographer.

Lisa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page