Reason for your cecerean??? Please share! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 03-11-2003, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by luv4sophie
I think it's rude to say you've only come across one necessary c-section.
I went into labor 5 weeks early with my dd. They gave me mag sulfate to stop it but I was still in labor despite it. She hadn't yet turned. She was breech. I was dialated to 8 cms naturally before the nurse realized that it was her bum and not her head that was presenting first. 20 minutes later Sophie was born via emergency c-section. It was still as amazing and special as any other birth. I think you shouldn't ever practice with women who've had a c-section. You're so unsupportive and ignorant about it.
Oh and I had a horse that was boarded next door who had to have a c-section as well. It's not like she scheduled that to fit into her or her docs schedule.
This post was very hurtful. I am fully aware that there are reasons for cecerean, as I have said in previous post. I have defended to the extent of my ability the fact that I created this thread for my own personal LEARNING experience. The purpose is so that I can better care for my clients. To say that I am unsupportive and ignorant implies the same of yourself. I am a very supportive person, I have genuinly loved all people my entire life, even those I don't nessecarily "get along" with. There is a difference between an ignorant person and one who is lacking experience, yet is ambitious and learning more by the day. Hence, once again, the reason I posted in the first place. I have had very little experience with cecerean and I WANTED more, I WANTED to be able to be supportive in the right ways.

Maybe you didn't read all the posts, I don't know. Either way, my heart just shattered at reading this. Also, I have never at any point said or believed that a cecerean bith is any less significant than a vaginal birth. I am a very religious and spiritual person and I don't think that one can get any closer to God on earth than through witnessing a birth, or birthing. This is true regaurdless of the nature of the birth.

I now have much more knowlegde about the circumstances underwhich cecereans do and should occur. I thank you all for helping me out. However, I can't say that I'm not feeling a little timid about discussing the subject again with women who have been through it. I understand as well as I can how sensitive a subject this is, but I am a sensitive person too and I don't appreciate being ridiculed for trying to learn and understand.

Thanks again to everyone who has supported me! Regaurdless of what anyone thinks, I have promised myself and God that I will be an amazing doula. I will not fail to fulfill that promise, its too important to me.

Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 66 Old 03-11-2003, 09:14 PM

Juelie's Mom - I can tell this thread has been quite a lesson for you on how sensitive us c-birth Mom's feel about our birth experience. I'm thinking maybe luv4sophie read only your initial post and did not read your follow up posts. :

Anyway, I wanted to say that I know I gave you a hard time initially for the unintended tone of your post, but your follow up posts made me feel that indeed you are a very sensitive person and you will make a wonderful doula.
#63 of 66 Old 03-11-2003, 11:37 PM

#64 of 66 Old 03-12-2003, 12:36 PM

I just wanted to add my perspective...

As a mother who both believes in gentle birth and has had a cesarean I am also sometimes skeptical of c-secs. It is never about judging the mama, more the medical establishment.

I feel a lot of c-sections are unnecessary. This is not because the mom is lazy or taking the easy way out. It is because our medical paradigm regarding birth is built around fear and lack of trust in women's bodies. All the ceaseless interventions undermine the natural birth process. Are some cesareans necessary? Of course. But c-secs are dangerous, risky and emotionally difficult. We should be working to make them the rare exception as much as possible.
#65 of 66 Old 03-13-2003, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloverlove
Are some cesareans necessary? Of course. But c-secs are dangerous, risky and emotionally difficult. We should be working to make them the rare exception as much as possible.

Exactly.
My job as a doula is to help a mother acheive the birth that she wants. I can't do this without having a good understanding of what is nessecary and what may not be. I am on the mother's side, the support, to be her voice when she has trouble finding her own, and to love her regaurdless of the out come of her birth.

So many people have responded to my saying I had a homebirth with the comment "you're so brave!" No. That's not it at all. The thought of going to a hospital, warding off interventions, having medications there in the event I might have thought I couldn't handle it-- that TERRIFIED me. Much of the reason I chose a homebirth was because I was afraid, not because I was brave. I know that hospitals and staff can make birth less personal, I know they can make a biological process medical... so I simply didn't go. Anyone could just as well argue that my choice to stay home was a bad one. Something could have gone terribly wrong, and we could have not made it to the hospital in time.

The point? WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM! Vag or sec. Home or hospital. We are mothers and we need to support each other. Each one of us made decisions for our births that could have done good or bad for ourselves and our childern. These are choices that have to be made. They are not wrong or right, simply choices. What really matters is that our babies are here now, in our arms and safe. Even in the event that that is not the outcome-- our babies are safe in the arms of God. I believe that eveything happens as fate wills it. Difficult times exist for the purpose of strengthening our souls. So what I'm saying is that I wish our decisions -mine or yours, whatever they might be, in the past or in the future- would not be held against us. I wish that we would not challenge each others decisions. We all did the best we could in the situation that was handed to us.

I would like to conratulate every mother reading this on the terrific job you did in bringing a life into this world, regaurdless of what might be considered not so "optimal circumstances".

Off the subject I just heard that an old friend of mine had her first baby monday morning! I have been trying to get her on this forum for a few months now..... anyway, just wanted to share my excitment!

Holly

P.S. Sorry about the lengthy posts, I just feel so passionatly about this, plus I'm a bit of a writer.
#66 of 66 Old 03-21-2003, 09:23 PM

My 8th baby was born via c-section after an external version. Long story! Although I'd already had birthed one breech baby vaginally (#6), and had a very proven pelvis , the only doctor in my area who would attend a vaginal breech had retired, and my options for breech birth were now either homebirth with midwives who'd not had a lot of experience with catching breechies, attempting an external version, or c-section. I just wasn't comfortable with homebirthing a breech baby, even though I'd had several of my other children born at home. My doctor had had good success with external version, so I agreed to try that.

First, I spent several weeks using moxabustion, tilting, talking and praying, and pulsatilla. No turning did occur, so, at 37 1/2 weeks, the doctor made her first attempt at encouraging little bun to turn. He wasn't interested, so she stopped and I went home. Two days later, she tried again, and this time was successful. The version was done at the hospital, in an u/s room so the cord could be (hopefully) visualized to make sure it didn't get compromised in some way. I was then sent to a little room in the maternity section for electronic fetal monitoring, again, to make sure the cord was OK.

Within an hour, the baby had a major decel, and we all went on alert. Could've been just one of those cord things that probably happen all the time in utero, but we don't know about it because women don't walk around with EFMs on them! But then he did it again within 15 minutes or so, and this time it lasted longer and it was harder to get his heartrate back up (changing my position, O2, etc). Over the next hour, this pattern continued, but the decels were lasting longer and it was getting harder to get that heartrate back on track (now I was on my hands and knees with a nurse shaking my belly, the doctor jiggling my cervix, and me praying through the O2 mask, for several minutes). A quick conference and the decision was made to try to induce labor and get the baby out soon.

A Cervidil insert resulted in a large, long contraction, with dipping heartrate, so that idea was abandoned, and we were now looking at c-section. By this time, I felt like we were a section just biding its time, so I agreed. We had time to get a very good OB in for the surgery, with a good surgical team, so I at least felt like the baby and I were in good hands. When my uterus was opened up, the doctor remarked that Aaron's cord was wrapped around his head. Probably happened during the version.

Of course, I now second- and third-guess how all of this played out. On the one hand, *it would've been so simple to just have a vaginal birth!!!!*, and I'm very frustrated that this birthing method has fallen so out of favor that one can't find an experienced birth attendant for a vaginal breech birth. On the other hand, I feel like I did all that I could, and responded the only way I could as the circumstances unfolded. I just don't know. Should I have any more children, and should I discover them to be breech late in the pregnancy, I don't know what I'll do....maybe move to Tennessee for a few weeks !

Joni

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page