Looking for Hypnobabies or Hypbirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-30-2006, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found this forum today - so much great information! Thanks to everyone for sharing

I am 39 weeks along, a bit late to get started with Hypno- programs. I just found out about childbirth hypnosis last week and I bought the Mongan Hypnobirthing book, but would love more CDs to listen to. I hate to spend $150 or more on a program that may arrive after I deliver, as I could deliver any day. I am hoping that someone nearby (California central coast) may have a program I could borrow or purchase inexpensively. I could arrange to pick it up, or even pay for fast postage. Help - someone?
#2 of 22 Old 01-30-2006, 01:33 PM

I bought the CDs during my last pregnancy on ebay for around 25 or $30. I loaned them to my sister in law and keep forgetting to ask about them. Try ebay and search for hypnobirthing. THat's how I found them.
#3 of 22 Old 01-30-2006, 01:35 PM

I used the book series. Checked it out at the local library.
#4 of 22 Old 01-30-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Writermommy - I have looked on ebay, I've found them for about $90, but not used copies. And they always seem to have a week left on the auction. I will probably have a baby by then - LOL.
#5 of 22 Old 01-30-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

afishwithabike - I didn't know there was a book series. I was really hoping for some CDs, but I will check it out - thanks!

Edited to add: I went straight to the library this morning - no luck, they don't have any hypno birthing cds of any kind
#6 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Please - anyone
#7 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 09:40 AM

I did get mine earlier in the third trimester and it was a little over three years ago. I would loan you my set, but I haven't gotten it back yet. I probably won't get it for three weeks to a month, by then you'll have your baby. Sorry!
#8 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 AM

I've been trying to find an affordable option for weeks now. From the reading I've done I think you would get the most bang for the buck with "Kein/Tuschoff's Hypnobabies", at least compared to "Mongan's Hypnobirthing". Primarily because while Mongan's program is cheaper (about $20.00 or so for the book and CD) it is not intended as a home study program. It is meant as an Intro to the 5 week class which can cost $350.00 or more. Aside from that, from what I have read, the advantage of Tuschoff's Hypnobabies over Mongan's Hypnobirthing is that with Hypnobabies you can supposedly walk around and remain in a self-hypnotic state.

Tuschoff's "Hypnobabies" home study course is $134.99 plus about $9.00 for S&H. I think the optimum time to start is supposed to be towards the end of the second trimester. However, I have heard about women who've started late and had good, if not excellent, results. I have checked out Ebay but there are no bargains there. If you have the money I would bite the bullet and go to the Hypnobabies website and order the program now using RUSH delivery.

If that is too steep they do have a $12.00 CD titled something like "visualizing your birth". They have two different ones so be careful to get the right one. I think the first one was designed as a supplement for women using non-Hypnobabies programs. The last time I looked the one that is intended as a supplement to the Hypnobabies course itself is at the top of the list. Just be careful to read the description carefully.

Finally, Tuschoff herself has some good things to say about alternative programs. One that I looked into was about $60.00 or $70.00 with S&H is by someone named "LeClaire-O'Neill". I think it is titled "LeClaire's Hypno Bundle" or something to that effect. It is readily available on Amazon.com. You may see two different versions. Be careful to buy the one with the more current copyright date. Sometimes you can find it used. From what I understand this is a more abbreviated program, less comprehensive without the wealth of medical Labor & Delivery info (on back labor for instance). I am only 20 weeks along but I am leaning that way since $144.50 or so seems pretty steep, not knowing how much time I can actually put into it.

From everything I've read you want to listen to the CDs for about half an hour a day.

Good Luck.
~Cath
#9 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 02:33 PM

In follow up to my previous post, here is a link to the Hypnobabies “supplemental” (for lack of a better term) CD: “Visualize Your Hypnobabies Birth”. While it doesn’t say specifically, it probably isn’t intended as a “stand alone” at home study program. But given your time constraints it might be your best bet. It certainly is affordable at $12.00. (plus shipping and handling).
http://www.hypnobabies.com/product_i...bb97c6349a6623

I wouldn’t recommend wasting your time trying to buy the “Hypnobabies” program on Ebay. Primarily because you don’t save that much money and you need to be careful to make sure that all of the CDs and booklets are included. The cheapest I have seen it is about $90.00 but it can run up as high as $100.00 --or more-- plus Shipping & Handling. Also, no one ever thinks to volunteer information on how old the version they are selling is or when they bought it. I think the current edition is #4. According to the Hypnobabies website “This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 05 February, 2004” but that doesn’t mean they haven’t updated the product since then. Not to mention that if there is any problem with the condition of the materials it could take you too long to sort those issues out, putting you in an even bigger time bind. Finally, unless there is a “Buy It Now” option, most auctions last about 6 days, so there is another time issue.

If you buy from Hypnobabies directly you also get a “registration card” which entitles you to “1) Personal E-mail or phone consultations. These are available at all times with our Hypnobabies Support staff, for any questions you may have. (After returning your Home Study Enrollment Forms)” This is not the same thing as the Yahoo "Tuschhoff / Hypnobabies" chat support group (for more info on this see further below). Finally, if you do buy the program from them directly you might consider recouping a large part of your cost by listing it on Ebay or Craig’s List.

For alternatives to Hypnobabies, you might want to know what Tuschhoff thinks herself. Here is a link to an article by Kerry Tuschhoff, HCHI, CHt, the creator of the “Kein” based “Hypnobabies” program. (Kein pioneered the research that the better “Hypnobirth” programs are based on.). Note, that according to a quote from Kein on the Hypnobabies website he is impressed with the way Tuschhoff has built on is work.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/hypnoKerryCBE.html

As I mentioned in my previous post, while Tuschhoff does not specifically “recommend” any competing programs she does have some good things to say about some of them. Here is an excerpt to that effect from her article (the second to last paragraph):

“There are many good Hypnosis for Childbirth Programs now; Michelle LeClaire O’Neal’s (sic, O’Neill?) Hypnosis for Childbirth, Gayle Peterson’s Body Centered Hypnosis, Dr. Richard Widmeier’s New Concepts in Painless Childbirth, New Way Childbirth’s beautiful video and audio presentations for home study, and the many programs modeled directly from Jerry Kein’s work. Each has its own merits and each appeals in a different way. Ultimately, women need to spend time discovering what their own goals for childbirth are, and make their decisions based on what a program will offer them to achieve this. For some, it will be empowerment and being in control, for others a more relaxed and comfortable experience than "last time", and for still others, it will be a completely pain-free birthing. They will need to understand the kind of dedication and belief it takes to learn the skills that will bring them to fulfill their goals, therefore education and research is key in this area.”

In particular, I have spent some time looking into the Leclaire program Tuschhoff mentions: “The Leclaire Hypnobirthing Bundle for Happy Hypnomoms and Blissful Hypnobabies (Paperback) by Michelle Leclaire O'Neill”. This program is $59.99 plus shipping and handling.

Below is a link to Amazon’s “Leclaire Hypnobirthing” page and beneath that is a link to the actual Leclaire website.

Note, apparently this is not currently available through Amazon. However, I recommend you visit the Amazon site to check out the reader reviews. Reviews of earlier editions were negative largely due to the production quality of the CDs. Most of the recent reviews are positive. However, one very recent review is extremely negative. To summarize very briefly the reviewer takes issue with: 1) some typos, 2) at least one key piece of medical misinformation, and 3) the author’s general philosophy or belief system. However, I would place a lot of weight on Kerry Tuschhoff’s opinion considering that she has a strong background in this field and they are essentially competitors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...books&v=glance

http://www.leclairemethod.com/index.html

Finally, as mentioned above, Tuschhoff / Hypnobabies has a “Yahoo” chat support group. The link to that page is below. I don’t think you need to buy anything, but you do need to be a Yahoo member and fill out an “application” for this particular chat group. As part of the application you need to briefly describe why you want to join (in 200 characters or less). You are then supposed to get a return email. From what I understand you will have access to online supplemental “scripts” which you can record yourself. However, I have tried to join twice myself with no luck. As far as I can tell I haven’t received a Yahoo return email; although I may have been a little to quick with the Spam / Delete button. I did email the Hypnobabies website regarding my first attempt to join (and received a reply from Kerry Tuschhoff) but I have yet to receive a response regarding my second attempt. However, I was impressed at the response to my first email, especially since it came from Kerry directly.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/HypnoBabies/

Sorry this is so long. Writing this all out has reinforced my impression that "Tuschoff / Hypnobabies" is the way to go, assuming I can make the time commitment. Hope this helps you as much as it did me. I’d love to know what you wind up doing. If you join the Yahoo chat and get a return email could you post a follow up here to let me know what the return address is so I’ll know what to look for if I try again? Thanks in advance for that.

Good luck with your decision.
~Cath
#10 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Cathy for all the information you wrote, I appreciate the time you took to respond.

I bit the bullet and ordered the home study course with next day shipping, I hope it arrives by Thursday. Now I just need to have this little one stay put for a few more weeks so I can cram all the info I can.
#11 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 04:14 PM

Did I send you into information overload?

It sounds like you went with Tuschhoff / Hypnobabies. I half hoped you would go with Leclaire's program so you could report on it later. But I think you probably picked the better program overall.

I heard very very very good things about this program on a different site from someone that used the program twice after two previous difficult labors. Her impression was that Tuschhoff genuinely cares more about her students than she does about making a buck. I think the Tuschhoff article I found illustrates that. What really impresses me is that she will speak so positively about some of her "competitors". Which is why I was tempted to try the Leclaire program she mentions. But, as I mentioned before, I think that if you intend to put the effort into it you will probably get more out of the Tuschhoff / Hypnobabies program. From what I have heard there is also a fair amount of useful Labor & Delivery medical information.

If you want to get a "jump start" see if you have better luck than I did with the Yahoo Hypnobabies Chat / Support (I posted the link previously). If you do get the email reply please let me know what the return address is.

In the meanwhile you can probably start practicing some basic visualization, relaxation and meditation techniques (which are easy to find if you do a simple internet search).

By the way, if I procrastinate much longer perhaps you can recoup some of your cost from me and I can take the program off of your hands when you are done with it.

Good luck. I'm optimistic that if you give it a real effort in the time that you have you'll get a real benefit out of it. Here's hoping the little one delays his or her debut by a week or so. Keep us posted. I'm really interested in knowing how it works out for you.
~Cath
#12 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 04:23 PM

I have both the Hypnobirthing and Hypnobabies CDs. I took the Hypnobirthing course in person and have the 2 CDs and book, and then I bought the Hypnobabies supplemental set of about 6 half hour sessions. I'm finished with my birthing experience, so I'd be happy to sell my CDs. Please contact me if you are interested or want more information.
#13 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I did order the Hypnobabies program this morning. A few hours later Kelly Tuschhoff called me concerned that I wouldn't have time to make the program useful. It was very nice of her to call me herself, no other business owner has ever called me directly with a concern about me ordering something I may not be able to use. We talked a bit, and I convinced her I was willing to take the chance, as I really wanted more "program" than the Hypnobirthing book offered. She gave me some tips on how to do a crash course - listening to the first 2 CDs for 4 days, then the second 2 CDs for 4 days, and finally the last two CDs for 4 days. That makes 12 days - 6 days past my due date. I hope he stays put so I can get through the whole course in time.

I will most likely offer the program for sale when I am finished with it, and will try to let you know when that is. Thanks again for all your effort to help me out!

Heidi
#14 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Risala - If I had more time I'd love the supplemental CDs - but I don't know if I'd ever even get to listen to them. Thanks so much for the offer!
#15 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 10:46 PM

Risala,
Thanks for asking.

I am primarily interested in Tuschhoff's "Hypnobabies". Can you tell me a little more about the materials that you have? When did you buy them? What "edition" do you have? Do you have the complete program: --163 page Hypnobabies Workbook, --Birth Partner's Guide, --Quick Reference Booklet for Labor, and --5 lesson CDs & 1 "bonus" CD (Pregnancy Affirmations and Birthing Day Affirmations)? Also, do you still have the Enrollment / Registration form?

Also, what condition are the materials in, especially the CDs?

I may also be interested in the Mongan / Hypnobirthing materials but only as a supplement to the Hypnobabies program but I should probably at least ask about the condition of those CDs as well.

Please give me an idea of how much you want for the Hypnobabies program by itself and how much more you would want if the Mongan / Hypnobabies materials are included.

If we can come to some sort of agreement then we can discuss Shipping and Handling, which would depend upon the size and weight of the materials and where we are both located.

~Cath
#16 of 22 Old 01-31-2006, 11:05 PM

bhnash,
Thanks for keeping us posted. Your recent experience with Kerry Tuschhoff reinforces everything I have heard about her. She has a reputation for really caring about the birthing mother.

When I visit this site over the coming weeks I'll be hoping to see the occassional update. Of course if you drop off the map for awhile I will assume you have had your baby.

It occurs to me that you will obviously be too busy after you deliver to do anything with the materials you bought and you may want to keep them in case you have another baby, or even for post delivery pain management, relaxation, etc.

I have already wished you luck so now I will simply remind you that attitude and commitment are probably the biggest keys to your success; I am optimistic for you since you seem pretty determined to make good use of the time you have left.

Again, keep us posted if you can, when you can.
~Cath
#17 of 22 Old 02-01-2006, 01:54 AM

CathMac- I'm PM you once I find all of the materials. I gave birth twelve weeks ago, and I been too busy to even think about where I put the CDs.

bhnash- Best wishes for a peaceful birthing experience.
#18 of 22 Old 02-03-2006, 04:36 PM

Risala,
Thanks for the reply. I look forward to receiving your PM. Just to let you know, I do need to decide in the next week or so since I am now 20 weeks along but don't let that pressure you. I remember what it's like to have a newborn at home. If I don't hear from you I think I'll just do what bhnash did.

Congrats on your new baby!

Ooops. I just realized I might not have checked the PM option. When I have a chance I'll try to look into changing my member "settings". In the meanwhile I will keep an eye on this post.
~Cath
#19 of 22 Old 02-03-2006, 05:14 PM

bhnash--Just saw your post, wish I'd seen it earlier b/c I have the whole program, ordered in mid-2005 new, and would've happily sold it to you.

I hope you enjoy using the program, even though you don't have much time. I don't want to discourage you about the program, but I did it for about 2 or 3 weeks, then decided it was driving me nuts and stopped! (My own personality issues--I think it works well for lots of people and I really thought the reading/birth info part was excellent.) However, I had a wonderful birth at home, without doing the hypnosis. And I'm a midwife and have seen a lot of great births where the mom didn't do any specific preparation techniques/methods. Your body knows exactly how to give birth--all the hypnosis stuff does is help you believe that and get your head out of the way! Again I don't want to discourage you at all, I think it's great that you found the program and are going to do it, but I just wanted to chime in, in case you aren't able to get through the whole program before you give birth, don't worry--you will still be able to birth your baby and have an awesome birth experience!
#20 of 22 Old 02-04-2006, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kavita. I've been working on it for two days now, and feel like it will definitely help me.
#21 of 22 Old 02-06-2006, 03:44 PM

bhnash,
As you can see I'm still following this thread. I'm really interested in knowing how much the program helps you and how much effort you were able to put into it.
~Cath
#22 of 22 Old 02-06-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhnash
Thanks Kavita. I've been working on it for two days now, and feel like it will definitely help me.
Great!! I'm glad you're enjoying the program and finding it helpful!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page