Ina May's NEW book "Guide to Natural Childbirth" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2003, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spiritual Midwifery author Ina May Gaskin has written a new book, due in March 2003:

Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth: Discover the Proven Wisdom That Has Guided Thousands of Women Through Childbirth With More Confidence, Less Pain, and Little or No Medical Intervention, Whether in a Hospital, Birthing Center, or the Comfort of Home

• What really happens during labor
• Orgasmic birth--making birth pleasurable
• Episiotomy--is it really necessary?
• Common methods of inducing labor--and which to avoid at all costs
• Tips for maximizing your chances of an unmedicated labor and birth
• How to avoid postpartum bleeding--and depression
• The risks of anesthesia and cesareans--what your doctor
doesn’t necessarily tell you
• The best ways to work with doctors and/or birth care providers
• How to create a safe, comfortable environment for
birth in any setting, including a hospital
• And much more

A mom on another board (baby center) said she borrowed a copy to read from a newspaper reviewer in her town - and it's AMAZING.

She said you can pre-order it from Amazon for $10 and they'll ship it in March.

This is a book I cannot wait to read.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2003, 01:41 PM

Sounds like a good one....
I only have Dr's Sear's Birth book and was looking for another to read...
Thanks!
I'll head over to Amazon now

Jen
Old 02-01-2003, 08:33 PM
XM

I am SO there!! I LOVE "Spiritual Midwifery", I have practically memorized it and my copy is going to fall apart soon, LOL! I am going to order that today, I'm glad I'll get it before Spawn comes! What a wonderful resource to have for this birth.

XM
Old 02-02-2003, 12:04 AM

I'm soooooooooooo jealous, sure I won't still be preggo come March ....

XM - my Spiritual Midwifery is falling apart too LOL
Old 02-02-2003, 04:13 PM

YEAY!!!

Thank you so much for the head's up on this book! It just might be my first pre-ordered Amazon order!

I too enjoyed "Spiritual Midwifery." My favorite 'fact' about the book is how 'boring' it is...birth after birth after birth, all normal. All fine. All on The Farm. Someone's labor is longer, someones is shorter. They all breastfeed. Life goes on. Nothing dramatic happens (aside from the miracle of birth!!! But you know what I mean!!!)
Old 02-02-2003, 11:53 PM

She and her husband Steven, I think is his name (preggo brain kicking in), are so nice. I haven't read "Spiritual Midwifery" but I have been to the farm several times and it's one of the most amazing places I've ever been. I pray to God that I have this baby by March but I would love to get it for a friend of mine. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Gaiamom, get out! You've been to her farm???? That is SO cool!!!
She spoke at the local homeschooling conference (which I missed) and my friend attended her talk. She told of the way she started out. Amazing stories. Sigh.

Would you believe... I am a "birth junkie" and I haven't read Spiritual Midwifery yet? I will definitely get to it this year (I hope

I'm glad everyone appreciated the heads-up. I knew Mothering readers would.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 02-03-2003, 04:11 PM

I can't wait to read it either. I read Spiritual Midwifery in 2 days because I could not put it down. I won't be pregnant come March, but I consider the book to be research.

When I am pregnant, I'm going to give birth with the Farm midwives...luckily I live an hour away from them. After Spiritual Midwifery, I couldn't imagine anyone else helping out with the birth of my child.

Jennie
Old 02-03-2003, 07:59 PM

about the pain of childbirth gives you character.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:00 PM
XM

You *can't* be a real Birth Junkie and not have read this book! Get it! It's actually an easy read in as much that each birth story is a few pages long, so you can read one on the bus, one while your kid takes a nap, one before bed... that is, if you can put it down! It is one of my all-time favorite books. If you are a Birth Junkiie then this book will get you high.

And TinyShoes is right... one of the most remarkable things about this book is how 'unremarkable' birth can be when it is respected and worked with instead of being forced to go a certain way and then backfiring on you. Of course, there *are* situations when a little help is needed, but most of the time a woman knows how to birth, if she is just given a chance to do so.

LOL, I think I had enough charactor before, but I took to heart that complaining was'nt going to make things any easier so I tried not to during the birth (Mike said later, "I was suprised that you did'nt cuss more" LOL!) Of course, if anyone had *said* to me that "not complaining builds charactor" when I was in transition I probably would have decked them...

XM
Old 02-03-2003, 10:17 PM

Yeah, XM, on the syllabus for Birth Junkie 303, Spiritual Midwifery WAS required reading! It's not a book that's at every cruddy Barnes and Noble, which is why only the true birthphiles obtain it.

And what about the awesome, ultra, uber-hippie elements? Getting high, rushes, auras, all that good stuff! NICE way to counteract all the AROM, Pit, dystocia, & episiotomy crud you run into w/ Pregnancy for Dummies & What to Expect...
Old 02-04-2003, 12:22 PM

Jerawo, you are so lucky!!! I begged dh to let me move home so I could have this baby at the farm, but after I found out how high risk my pregnancy was I didn't think it was a good idea. Have you ever been to the farm before? The aura that surrounds the place is incredible!! You can feel it when you go through the gate. Did you say you live an hour from there? TN or AL? I'm from Huntsville.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:33 PM

Actually I'm living in Gadsden right now, but we're about to move back to Nashville (where I'm from) in 2 months. The Farm midwives do well women exams, so I'll probably start going to them when it's time for my annual exam.

I'm not sure if I've ever been to the Farm...maybe on a field trip when I was little.

Jennie
Old 02-04-2003, 05:25 PM

Mine has "Spiritual Midwifery" and I can request it on-line through my library's website so it is waiting for me at the check-out counter!
Old 02-04-2003, 05:54 PM

hey Farm loving ladies-
I haven't been to visit, but living in Nashville feels close enough to me to be getting good vibes for my homebirth! I have a closer midwife for my birth this spring, but just knowing the Farm Midwives are here makes me feel good. Once me & the babe get settled (in a year or 2? ) I really want to go to one of the midwifery seminars they have @ the Farm- very reasonably priced, too!
I also got Spiritual Midwifery @ our library.
Take care & those of us close by Nashville should be meeting up on "find your tribe" sometime!
Maria
Old 02-05-2003, 12:54 AM

I got a copy Spiritual Midwifery at my library too, and I am right there with all you mamas who love it! I read when 6 months pregnant- wonderful birth stories!!

It is an amazing book, so inspiring, BUT am I the only one who had a few problems with it? Number one, I found it quite annoying how Steven (her husband) was cast as some kind of birth guru who could always make a labor take a turn for the easier. A book by, for, and about women- why does there have to be an ultimate male authority??? Also, I didn't like the parts where women were told not to be "complain-y." A mama should be able to say "this hurts" and cry if she wants to. In that case, she need sympathy, understanding, and encouragement- NOT JUDGEMENT!!

That said, I admire and respect Ina May tremendously and there is no doubt that SM is a classic and contains much wisdom and inspiration. I just hope that this latest book (being written 30 years later) will have a more feminist slant. I can't wait to read it!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:56 AM

Jerawo, no kidding, Gasden!? I was born in Talladega and lived in Anniston till I was 13, then to Huntsville. I want to go back to Alabama so bad!! I NEVER thought I'd say that.
I didn't know the farm did well visits. That's awesome!! I'm more familiar with their ecovillage/horticulture. While I was at Auburn University they asked me to come "intern" there for the summer and help out with the horticulture aspects of the community. But that May, dh joined the navy
Old 02-05-2003, 01:25 PM

Here's the link for the Farm Midwifery services

www.farmcatalog.com/birth.htm
Old 02-05-2003, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamacrab
...Also, I didn't like the parts where women were told not to be "complain-y." A mama should be able to say "this hurts" and cry if she wants to. In that case, she need sympathy, understanding, and encouragement- NOT JUDGEMENT!!
I see your point and I agree.

There was a post on a PP board about a woman who *quit breastfeeding because it hurt her nipples when she felt the milk ejection reflex and breastfeeding made her uterus contract and she didn't like it at all (meaning she didn't want to feel any discomfort)*!

This is why I liked the *quit yer whinin'* parts with regards to pain. Sometimes life hurts eh?

User Tag List