Any other bfing pregnant Moms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having such a hard time finding other Mom's who are nursing and pregnant.

If any of you are out there (and I am sure you are!) can you tell me if you have/had shard pains through your breast? I had some just before I found out I was pregnant, but haven't had any since.

TIA
#2 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 03:39 PM

Hi. I just found out for sure that I'm pregnant, although I've had a suspicion for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I'm nursing my 20-month-old and haven't experienced the sharp pains you are describing. I'm glad I haven't had the nipple sensitivity that I've heard some other moms describe. I feel like ds has been nursing TONS lately, many times so long that he seems to nurse me dry. A few times I asked him if he was getting any milk, and he said no. LOL
#3 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 03:48 PM

Hi. I'm still nursing my DD. I had terrible nipple and breast pain in the beginning of my pg! I was very surprised by it. The book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" is a great resource for moms who are nursing through pregnancy and planning on tandem nursing.
#4 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 04:15 PM

I'm pg. with #3 and still nursing my 2.5yr.old. I haven't had any sorness, but I am so done with nursing him. it seems like he wants to nurse all the time and that he changes sides a lot more than he use to. I nursed #1 while pg with #2 and no problems there either. I ended up tandem nursing for 7 months with them.
#5 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 04:31 PM

I'm nursing my 16 m-o. No sharp pains, but nipple soreness sometimes when he latches. It usually goes away in 10 seconds or so. My main concern is night-weaning before September. Yikes!
#6 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 PM

Currently on pg #3 while nursing an older child. I haven't have sharp pains, but I have had ocassional pain. Honestly, I think nursing through a pg is a pain in the butt, but it's so worth it to the little ones that I'll grit my teeth and bare it! GabeMom - I totally understand the need for night weaning! This one is night weaned, but ds was only 14 months when I got pg and was not even close to night weaning!
#7 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 04:55 PM

I am pregnant with #2, and still nursing my 2 1/2 year old. Once in a while I have also been experiencing a stabbing pain in my breasts (very brief) but mostly I have a sharp pain when he starts to nurse.. which actually is what clued me in to the fact I might be pregnant. DS still nurses at night 3-4 times and I think its getting worse... I think this pregnancy will be my impetus to nightwean as well!

Mommy to two wonderful boys
#8 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 PM

I am I am! My DD is 17 months

I havent noticed any nipple pain or breast pain yet...I hope I dont either...I am NOT ready for my dd to wean yet (if she decides thats ok though! ) Anyways, I am happy I havent had any issues yet and I would like to some day tandem nurse them....but we will see what happens before now and then...

I agree....SHE NEEDS to night wean....cause I cant be up with 2 babies at night!!!! (currently she wakes about twice a night)
#9 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 PM

I haven't had milk in about 8 months, but my now 24 mo old ds still nurses. Mostly in the morning or at night for comfort. The nipple tenderness was one of my clues to take a HPT.
When I talked with dh about weaning sometime during the pg, he wasn't exactly negative, but he certainly wasn't supportive of the idea. I think he doesn't see any reason why a toddler shouldn't just keep nursing until he's decided to be done himself.
So I'll keep at it and the nipple pain (so far) is fleeting, just a moment when he first latches on.
#10 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 05:30 PM

We're still nursing over here, too. I'm 20 weeks pg. Ds is down to about 3-5 times a day (used to be at least 8-12), and he nightweaned on his own a month or two ago (which was great, since it hurts to nurse and I couldn't sleep through it the way I could before getting pg). I'm hoping he'll continue and tandem with the new baby, because I think having the association of "little brother/sister brought the milk back in full force" would be a terrific one for him to make. He tells me, "Isaac have side. Baby have other side."

ETA: I don't remember sharp pains, but my nipples are very sensitive (slightly better since 2nd trimester started). One of the hardest parts for me is the agitation that nursing is frequently provoking in me. That, and I have to keep ds's hands totally off my body while he's nursing, or I feel like I'm going to have to go jump out the window!

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#11 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 06:37 PM

Still nursing our 27 month old DS and due with #2 in April. I've had occasional sharp pains which have been pretty manageable. The nipple soreness however has increased during my pregnancy and nursing has become quite painful for me. I think it's increased as my milk has disappeared, DS says my "nurse is empty." We've been talking about it and he really doesn't want nursing to hurt mama, so nursing is really minimal right now. I've assured him that there will be much more milk when the baby comes and he can try nursing again when she comes, so we'll see what happens!
Good luck to you!! Marian
#12 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 06:45 PM

I'm also due in April with #2 and still nursing my 26 month-old.

I've had *moments* of it being tough, and my milk supply certainly dropped for a while. It seems to have bounced back a bit, that may be because my colustrum has come in?

The one thing I would say you have to watch during pregnancy is your dc's latch... I think the discomfort I have had was partially related to her latch getting a bit off... I'm not sure if it is a toddler thing or a nursing with not much milk thing, but I have had to work with her on that. I usually unlatch her and let her "try again", and it can take 2-3 times before she really latches well... if I don't watch that then my patience for nursing goes down a lot.

Oh, to address the OP, I *have* had occassional sharp pains, but those are different than the latch issues we have had... I'm actually not sure what they were caused by at all!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#13 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 06:53 PM

I am nursing a 21 month old and am 3 months pregnant. I had the sharp shooting pains through my breast. Now that I think of it I haven't had it in a few days. It comes and goes and is totally bearable for me it only last a few seconds and is gone. The horrible nipple soreness has been gone for a month and a half too (knocking on wood) yeah!!! that sucked. I hear it comes back when the milk leaves I second tandem nursing. People look at me like I am from another planet when they find out I am nursing while pregnant. Then for the shock value I tell them I will nurse both of them when the baby is born ( i do plan to) they really go nuts lol....I kinda get a kick out of the looks and comments they give me. I love to debate. good luck to everyone.
#14 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 07:00 PM

Still nursing my 2 year old, and I'm 11 weeks pregnant. I nursed through my last pregnancy too (with an infant that time), then tandem nursed until this November when I got pregnant and at around the same time my older son self-weaned (don't know which actually happened first!).
I haven't ever had any pain, but I know I lot of women do, though it often lessens after the first trimester, but doesn't always go away. Good luck to you though!!

- krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#15 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
34+ weeks & still nursing Dd2 who is 3 yrs old. I LOVE it , she loves it, it's wonderful!! I had a couple of short periods of nipple pain, both times it lasted for a couple of weeks but went away after that.

She is night weaned for the most part, once in a while she'll wake up & ask (we all co-sleep.) She treasures her morning nurse, that is definitely her favorite. I have noticed that she has had more interest in the past few months & I was curious, so I expressed a little of the bm/colostrum mixture & tasted it & it is SO sweet, now wonder she's all about nursing!

I'm also looking forward to "using" Dd2 for engorgement relief after the babe comes, having suffered a couple bouts of mastitis before, I'd really love to avoid it again!

Be prepared for your milk to dry up, you can take specific herbal teas to stimulate milk production if you really want to keep your milk during pg. Mine *almost* dried up, but not fully & then came back in right away.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#16 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 07:09 PM

What herbal teas are mamas drinking to keep up milk supply? I was told by a LC that Mother's Milk teas weren't safe for pregnancy.

I'm 17 weeks and nursing a 13 month old. I have had those sharp pains, maybe three or four weeks ago, but haven't had them in the past week or so. Now I just have nipple soreness during latch on. We still have milk here, too. dd comes off with a milky mouth pretty consistently.
#17 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 07:44 PM

I'm concerned about taking herbs while pg, too.
Anyone know of a good website that talks about what herbs are safe and which contraindicated during pregnancy?
#18 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 08:11 PM

I just found this article here at Mothering.
http://mothering.com/community_tools...-to-avoid.html
#19 of 26 Old 01-31-2006, 08:20 PM

I have some nipple pain during nursing and sometimes when it rubs my shirt. Also sharp pains in a certain area of my areola. I though maybe it got bruised but it's not getting better! Oh, DS is almost 26mo.
#20 of 26 Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 AM

i'm 17 weeks pregnant and i'm nursing 3 children. my older nursling (boys) are soon to be 6(mid April), and just about 4 1/2. My dd is 22 mos and a constant nurser, day and night. She keeps my supply going.
I had the shard pain in my left breast a few days ago that lasted for a day and a half. And it hurts when anyone attaches to the left nipple (has for the last few weeks), but it only hurts on latching and goes away. I can't nurse my boys together anymore, been like that since Christmas. Wierd, but i can nurse them seperate or with their sister.
I've been staying hydrated for the most part, but i can dehydrate rather quickly and that's when the soreness starts.
Other than that can't complain as i still have a supply. Looking forward to the new baby and an abundant supply again
Off to drink a tall glass of water while i'm thinking about it....

Way to go pregnant and nursing mama's
#21 of 26 Old 02-01-2006, 11:36 AM

im almost 20wks and still nursing my almost 20month old. she nurses all day long and still will wake up once at night and want to nurse herself back to sleep. it hurts when she first latches and it used to be so much worse. the pain seems to be getting less. she would latch and it would make me suck in my breath and she'd stop and say "you ok mom?" and i would say yes and she'd go back to nursing and it would make me grimace again and she'd stop again and ask if i was ok, and i was like "just keep nursing!!" cuz every time she stopped it hurt to latch again! she's so cute about it. im hoping to tandem nurse too, but i'd love it if she wouldn't want to nurse at night anymore. its really not a big deal now, but when the new baby gets here, i don't want to be nursing 2 kiddos all night long....
#22 of 26 Old 02-01-2006, 02:03 PM

I am 13 weeks pregnant with number 4. I am tandem nursing a 3.5 year old and my dd who will be 2 in a couple of weeks.

Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#23 of 26 Old 02-01-2006, 03:03 PM

I am almost 16 weeks and nursing my 24 month old ds. I honestly don't mind, except for the constant night nursing. I night weaned my first at 18 months before I got pregnant with my second, but I just didn't feel right about doing that this time. He also nurses to sleep for nap and nighttime. I'm not sure what's going to happen when the baby is born, because I'll tandem nurse all day, but NOT at night!!!!!
#24 of 26 Old 02-01-2006, 05:53 PM

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and nursing my DD who will be 2 on Saturday! I didn't have any sharp pains, but do have some pain at latch-on at times. My DD is/was a persistant twiddler and I finally had to nip that in the bud around Thanksgiving. I couldn't stand it another second. She still tries, but knows that nursing time means "no pinch."

My milk dried up around 15 weeks but came back around 31 weeks. My DD really cut back on her nursing when the milk dwindled--and that's something that I never though would happen--she's been a marathon nurser since day 1! But, when the milk came back she started asking to nurse during the day again. She even calls it "baby milk" sometimes--and I didn't teach her that, it's just a name she came up with on her own.

My DH bought me Adventures in Tandem Nursing for Christmas and it's a great book. I'm really looking forward to tandem nursing, although I'm sure there will be days when I wonder what I got myself into!
#25 of 26 Old 02-01-2006, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am 16 weeks pregnant and still nursing my DS who will be 17 months tomorrow. Around 7 or 8 weeks I had some stabbing pains in my breast as well as nipple pain whenever he would latch on but that only lasted for about 2 weeks, everything has been fine since then. He nightweaned on his own over the last month or so, I have to say that I am grateful for that!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#26 of 26 Old 02-01-2006, 08:45 PM

Hi, I'm 13 weeks, and am nursing my 18 month old. It's OK, but I find it irritating. We've nightweaned! and I lost all my milk early on, but plan to keep going til around month 5. I'm planning on quitting then because of issue of preterm labor.

Kids. I got two of 'em.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page