Cervix self check??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well i was very curious because i read of some of the preggo women here doing a self check. i've never done one during pregnancy and i was wondering for those of you who have done them in the past what is it like??

I do NFP and check myself regularly so i know what a non pregnant cervix feels like, i am 30 weeks and when i checked myself i could hardly find it. when i did it was so mushy and soft. is this normal?

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 06:59 PM

Yes, that is how it should feel. Once it starts to thin, you'll be able to tell the difference, and once you start to dilate, you'll be able to tell that as well.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
Old 02-03-2006, 07:04 PM

it's VERY mushy, lol.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:10 PM

Yes, it gets pretty mushy towards the end.
I checked myself about 2-3 weeks ago, and could find ym cervix and could tell I was dilated a little bit, although I couldnt tell how mcuh.
But then i checked again yesterday(39 weeks) and cannot figure out anything in there! Its complete mush, and I feel a dip I thought was the front of the cervix, but then theres a bump, and another dip on the other side, so NO clue! LOL
Sorry, maybe tmi...
Old 02-04-2006, 10:41 PM

Hmm... sounds like I need to go investigate my cervix. I remember checking myself around 26 weeks and thinking I must be around 3cm already and when mw checked I was 4cm already! I was surprised to be correct. LOL

PS- I'm tempted to check myself after 36 weeks to keep track but since I walk around very dialation and effaced for weeks at a time, it will just give me false encouragement I fear!
Old 02-04-2006, 10:46 PM

one thing to be cautious of, playing around with your cervix can cause contractions...so be careful if you are before 36 weeks.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:49 PM

Yup!!! Mushy is good!!!

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 02-06-2006, 03:49 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but how about mushy & able to slip a fingertip in? Is this normal for 25wks, or is this slighly dialated?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apiana
Not to hijack the thread, but how about mushy & able to slip a fingertip in? Is this normal for 25wks, or is this slighly dialated?
Do you have other kids? It's normal for subsequent pregnancies to have a 1cm "dimple" in the outer cervix, while the inner remains intact. I wouldn't force your finger through to look, though.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:33 PM

I couldn't reach mine when I was PG...too fat.

Dh checked me a couple times at the end, and besides it being a neat experience for him being able to feel the top of the baby's head, all it did for me was more bloody show, more false labor, and the baby came out whenever she felt like it. (6 days "late")

He didn't have a lot of experience measuring cm's with his fingers, so it was just stuff like "i think its bigger today...hmm let me see (OW!!)...yep! Its definately bigger..."

User Tag List