Forward-bending yoga poses in Pregnancy?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2003, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted abt yoga classes some time back and many of you recommended it- but did you continue with forward-bending poses? Mainly, the downward-facing dog. I ask becoz I read that one shd not do that, but I bought a pre-natal yoga tape by Rocki, who's supposed to be a well-known and experienced pre-natal yoga teacher (and apparently, she certifies many teachers who wants to teach pre-natal yoga), and in it, women with prominent bellies were still doing the downward-facing dog, and each time, the pose is held for 1 minute.
Any opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 05:03 PM

When you heard that this should not be done do you remember at all why? I don't have a good answer for you. I just know about the lying flat on your back no no.

I don't see any immediate problems with the baby. How do you feel when you do the position? If it is uncomfortable for you then modify it to you level of comfort.

keep excersising!

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

Old 02-03-2003, 06:50 PM

i have been taking yoga for several years, and when i told my instructor that i might be pg, she was all for me staying in the class throughout mypregnancy. her only comments were as follows: 1) to pull back on everything. where once i would push to feel a good stretch, now i get to the point of stretch and the pull back until i no longer feel the stretch (but she promises that i really AM still stretching) and 2) towards the end, no laying on my back for more than a second or two. you can lay on your side instead, or do modified poses. as for downward dog and other inverted poses, i know that you are not supposed to do them when menstuating, but i have never heard that you can't do them while pg. hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:11 PM

in my yoga class, and on tapes and books I've got, there's downward dog all over the place. Sometimes we do half dog agains the wall.

for downward dog we usually spread our feet wider to make more room for the belly.

also, inversions are great for pg, esp if you are trying to convince the baby to turn. but, if you arne't comfortable w/them before pg, be extra cautious.

also, in my more advanced prenatal classes, we do more lying poses, but if it's uncomfortable, put a blanket under one butt-cheeck to get the pressure off or put a blanket under your whole lower back b/c your back/hips may be sore. if it feels bad, your breath gets weird, or you get numb, definately stop right now.

I've heard people say not to do twists, but I still see tons of twists, I think you just have to be gentile, don't twist too far.

Just don't over heat, and don't get out of breath. Not going to the same extent is a good idea, too. Since things are loser it's easier to cause strains, as well.

I find balancing poses really challenging, right now, but worthwhile.

Lori
Old 02-03-2003, 09:38 PM
KFH

I'm in a mixed class, about half of us are pregnant. For downward/forward bend poses, we use a chair, while everyone else goes all the way down. That said, we are allowed to go to comfort with downward dog and others until our bellies iform us otherwise.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies! I feel more at ease now... I guess moderation is the key always, and to listen to your body.

User Tag List