External Version for Breech Presentation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-04-2003, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dear Pema's Father has a lot of question on this topic so rather than hijack another thread I'm taking it here. I am relating my experience only. I am not an expert.

My daughter was persistently breech at 38 weeks despite all sorts of attempts to lure her around. I did everything I ever heard of except the Webster chiro technique. (I was game but couldn't find a chiro who knew it.) Moxibustion had me very hopeful because it certainly got her moving but she didn't turn. I think she didn't have room by then.

So, my home midwife refers me to an OB/midwife office. I meet with a midwife who makes me an appt for 4 days hence to have the baby turned by teh OB who is the best baby turner they know of. He is on a streak of 11 successes in a row. I read everything I can find and resolve to use my relaxation techniques and not take any drugs. I firmly believe I can do this and that if relaxation is sufficient for childbirth it shoudl work here, too....

Go the hospital starving after a 9 hour fast. Very clinical, very tense setting. The nurses are bright and cheerful but I am on edge. The doc bustles in. (bear in mind I haven't even met him before. Thank God the midwife came too.) He wants to go over the risks of the procedure with me. I have reviewed them and have signed all the forms but he wants to discuss them. Now. Ten minutes before. O-kkkaaaaay. He is very intent on me knowing that there could be an abruption in which case they will sprint down the hall with me and do an emergency C. I will not be awake, my husband will not be there and that is why we must have you on an IV even if you don't want the meds.

Ugh

So he leaves, says he'll be back in ten minutes after they hook me up. So, IV, ultrasound, repeated offers of muscle relaxants and pain relief. He comes back, grabs my tummy, digs his hands in deep and I can feel the babe starting to turn... then bouncing back into place. And again. And now in the other direction. It hurts. A lot. I am gritting my teeth and squeezing my poor husbands hand like a washrag. He stops for a break. Chats with the midwife for a moment.

She comes over and tells me that I am very tense and he really doesn't think he can do it. She strongly encourages me to take the muscle relaxant. Points out that while she really gets it that I want to avoid drugs... A section two weeks later will be a much greater change from my ideal than a hypo of drugs now. Good point. They give it to me in the IV. He leaves for about ten minutes to let the drug work. Dh and I try to get calmer... but honestly, I never felt like I had a single calm moment that morning.... the whole hospital energy was definitely working against me.

He comes back and tries again. And once more. I can feel it getting so close and then reverting. Finally he says, "Well, that's all I can do." I flip a little. "No! Please, try one more time. Just one more time. We can do this! I'm gonna go with it more. It hurts a lot and I'm gonna holler instead of holding it in. Ignore me... just do it. Please!!!" So, the last time I yelled my head off and Bonnie turned for me. My husband was a little pale after. But it worked and I had my homebirth.

Now, in contrast, there is a midwife here in Hawai'i who does versions. (My saga happened in Virginia.) I have talked to women who have seen him do them and to him. He doesn't use any drugs. He just gently massages and coaxes the baby around. It takes a long time sometimes but he just does it easily. He says he's not even sure what he does... he's talking to the baby softly and he's touching... and then tumble! There she goes.

I'm not trying to scare you. I want you to be prepared. Things may be really different for you. I hope you have success.
#2 of 8 Old 02-04-2003, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And, after reading the NIH study results, I would always try acupuncture or moxibustion of the point on the little toe before external version. Acupucture had better outcome than version!!!
#3 of 8 Old 02-04-2003, 09:55 PM

My senior midwife (the woman who trained me) does them all the time. She starts when they are really little and easy to turn (32-33 wks) Once they are head down they usually stay.
We just go slow and a lot more gently than they do in the hospital and listen with the doppler periodically and then for a few minutes once the mom stands up.
Its really no big deal. Not nearly the deal that the hospitals and doctors make out of it. Mostly because we turn them when they are small and have lots of room to turn.
We have had success with moxibustion, acupuncture, pulsatilla and slant boards too.
#4 of 8 Old 02-04-2003, 10:47 PM

quick reply...

Thanks...we are trying Webster's technique (chiro) along with everything else except swimming (Upel doesn't). I have done moxa but not acupuncture (needles) maybe worth I try since that is what I do professionally. Started pulsatilla yesterday. Version is scheduled for Friday. Supposedly the doc is very gentle - a woman. Tomorrow we meet with a midwife who is fighting to get her license back. She will try to coax the baby around without using force, maybe dialogue with my wife and explore emotional issues. I'll keep you posted.

thanks thanks thanks for your prayers
#5 of 8 Old 02-05-2003, 10:56 AM

Really, the thing I wanted to say was this: Most babies turn but there are always a few who don't. And those few may have valid reasons for not turning. They may not be able to. To be the mom with the not turning baby can be very emotionally painful, especially if you are following the idea that some tension within you is keeping the baby from turning. Sometimes, for whatever reason, no matter how good a mom and how open you are to the baby's presence, that baby will stay breech. For me it is important to keep that in mind to keep from feeling that if you only did the mystical X thing the baby would turn. I know how hard it can be to wake up everyday and still feel that little head still up.

I wish your family the best and hope that things go well for you.
#6 of 8 Old 02-05-2003, 12:38 PM

Thank you for vanquishing whatever (dysfunctional) guilty feelings are lurking in the corners of our neurotic minds Cornflower. Your words ring so true. This is stressful. The universe is squeezing and bending my wife and I both. We are in the birth canal of parenthood. But then there is a pause in the midst of the violent contractions, the eye of the storm. Some kindness, a ray of light, floats in from the other side, and the promise of something unknown arriving. Let me surrender into that great river.
#7 of 8 Old 02-05-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let me just say: Wow! I had no idea my post was so long.

And Cornflower, that is so true! I had kind of forgotten that aspect, but we met with a hypno-birth expert one time during all the "let's try THIS now" phase and I really felt blamed. And it bothered me a lot. My personal theory has always been that the long trip I took at 7 1/2 months shook up her orderly little in-utero life just about the time she was going to turn over and there was so much going on that she put it off until it was too late for her to do it herself.

I should add, that if I had known on the day of the version what I learned at Bonnies birth I might not have done it. After a 40 minute ultrasound two days before the version the tech told me she had a nice long umbilical... one of the longest she had "seen". Well, I don't know WHAT she was looking at. Bonnies umbilical was only about 8-10 inches long.... one of the SHORTEST my midwife had ever seen. She was not able to do anything but lay the babe on my thigh without cutting the cord.

Jordan, what a great analogy. You really are being birthed as parents. You have such a wonderful attitude about all this. Your wife and babe are very lucky.
#8 of 8 Old 02-05-2003, 02:29 PM

I wish I had read this thread 10 wks ago. They did a version on my dear baby and it didn't work. It was horribly painful and I'm still upset by it. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I was afraid of a csection. Anyway, as I was awaiting my discharge papers I closed my eyes and told the baby to turn. He did, right then and there. He was born the next day. If only I had trusted my instincts enough to avoid a version altogether.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page