Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I found that lemon flavored things (sipping lemonade) worked for me with pg#1. I've also heard that ginger helps. I know jbcjmom and pynki IRL and they both have severe nausea with pgs. You might pm them.

Here's to calm tummies...
#3 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 01:47 AM

So sorry for the misery - Ive been there twice. Seems worse when you have to take care of a little one - cook (ugghhh)

First, leave the house a mess - I know it's hard to look at the mess but you need your strength and energy for your babies.
You're bound to get a burst of energy now and then that should take care of that! Take a nice walk outside and the fresh air may help.
Now to the nitty gritty - alot of moms have had success with Sea Bands - you can get them at a pharmacy. It didnt do much for me but it's definately worth a try.
The best remedy I had was to drink meal replacement shakes - ice cold or frozen. They coat your stomach and cut down on the acid. Then I was able to eat real food witch made me feel a little better. The next best thing I used was a ziplock bag with cut lemon wedges to sniff when something funky came around, and you can also suck on them. I also gave in to my food cravings - I was a veg but craved meat so I ate it and felt better! Then theres ginger ale, candied ginger, etc.

I wish you strength and hope it doesn't last so long. I had it for 6 weeks with both pregnancies. Good thing my dh was able to cook for himself! Brought dd to grandma's for lunch, came home with a doggie bag for dh. Hey - you do what you have to do!
Feel better!
#4 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

#5 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 02:53 AM

here's what worked for me:

sipping small amounts of bubbly mineral water

ginger - fresh ginger tea, ginger beer (the real thing made with ginger not flavourings), crystallised ginger

allowing myself to throw up when it seemed necessary - I always felt better for it, then I had a brief window of opportunity to EAT - I found my nausea was way worse when I was really hungry

sniffing a little eucalyptus oil

rebreathing - into my hands or a tissue when it got very bad, I must have been also hyperventilating

resting horizontally

hope you feel better soon
#6 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 03:16 AM

I wish I could say something that would help.

This has got to be the most unhelpful thing, but I think it has a lot to do with stress, as well. I think it's a survival thing for the body/babe. If you feel crappy, you'll supposedly take it easy. I noticed my nausea went up when I got more stressed. If you can eliminate a few things from your plate so you can just get it together, perhaps that'll help. Perhaps if you could just take a day off and don't let anything bother you (right!) and try everything everyone suggested to soothe your stomach.

I don't know. It sucks when it gets that bad, I just wish I had something more helpful or wise to add.

Best wishes, muslimomma

#7 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 04:13 PM

Oh, just reading your post brought back so many memories of my miserable first trimester. . . I hope you start to feel better soon! I don't know if it is an option for you, but the only thing that worked for me was ACUPUNCTURE. It was truly amazing. It didn't make the m/s disappear, but it reduced it significantly and allowed me to eat which reduced it even more. Also, whenever you throw up, eat as much as you can right after. It sounds kind of horrible, but it breaks the cycle a little. If I let myself get too hungry before I ate, everything I ate would come right back up. Very frustrating when you're forcing down each bite.

Feel better mama!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#8 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 04:55 PM

I'm at 13 weeks today and have been feeling better for about a week. I was pretty miserable for awhile so I can relate. My midwife told me to stop taking my prenatal vitamins because they can upset your stomach. She also suggested white things....white bread, white rice, milk, vanilla icecream, cottage cheese, etc. I ate yogurt ALL the time. Ice cream was really good too. Lime/Lemon popsicles tasted pretty good and helped soothe my stomach (as well as smelled good!!) For some strange reason, I couldn't stomach just plain water, but lemon mineral water was good.

I agree with the other posts that say to eat as much as you can right after throwing up. It does sound strange, but that was really the only time I could eat well and if I didn't eat, I felt even worse.

Get out of the house as much as possible. I know it probably sounds impossible, but I found that the change of environment and some fresh air made a big difference...even if I only had the energy to be out for a half hour.

Good luck and just remember that it WILL end!!! It's happening for a good reason. Having morning sickness means that you are VERY VERY unlikely to have a miscarriage so try to think about the healthy baby you're growing! The baby doesn't need much food at this point, so just take care of yourself. These are some of the thoughts that kept me going...

One last suggestion...call a friend, doctor, midwife, anyone who will be supportive and understanding and just let out all your frustrations and pain and fears...cry if that makes you feel better. We had a high phone bill the month I was feeling worst! I just needed to talk to all my close female friends. They always made me feel better and then shared stories from their lives to help me think about things other than my nose and stomach!!!
#9 of 10 Old 02-05-2003, 10:39 PM

protein, protein, protein. I'm mostly veggie, but craved chicken in the first trimester. it doesn't do a thing for me now, go figure.

but beans, cheese, yogurt (every morning!), soy protein shakes, tofu, fish. all helped too.

ginger ale or other fizzy things.

making sure I ate a often and small amounts.

-Lau
#10 of 10 Old 02-06-2003, 01:59 AM

I feel for you! I had it really bad during my first trimester too and it was debillitating. I found that seltzer water with lots of lemon squeezed in helped me. Also salmon - I guess high protein. Also never ever letting my stomach get empty. I also tried the SeaBands - an acupressure treatment that people use for sea sickness and any kind of nausea. They seemed to work on and off. You can get them at the pharmacy over the counter. I would have tried real acupuncture if the nausea didn't finally subside around 16 weeks.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page