pap and miscarried... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was six weeks pregnant and my OB said I needed to do a pap. I did not know that they were done while prgnt. There was discomfort and some pain. I asked if this was okay. She said that it was normal and that I may experience some bleeding. Less than two days later I went to the hospital due to bleeding. I found out then I micarried. I already have a 2 year old and I had no trouble with him. I need some input... please help.
#2 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 12:08 AM

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you! They did a pap on me around 24 weeks GA and I only made it to 29 weeks, my two pounders luckily survived and are thriving but I wonder what if they had done an early pap ...I don't know if the two are related, but I believe as long as you have had normal ones in the past that they should be messing with you as little as possible! I am sooo sorry for your loss (((hugs)))

--Amanda
#3 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 03:04 AM

I'm so sorry for you loss!!!

Is there any way you would feel comfortable asking the ladies in the midwife/doula forum about this? I have a midwife and she asked about pap... I don't know if she wanted to do one, but I definitely don't want one (even before your sharing, but more now!). I think I'm going to ask her to wait until 6 weeks after (since I've never had an abnormal) even if she wants to do one. I just don't see the point. BUT the midwives forum might have info for you that is more founded in research and such?

I'd also recommend googling it, if you're interested in trying to take any action against your doc. I would.

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

#4 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 AM

(((hug)))I don't know. Anecdotely, I've had a pap early in all three pregnancies with no problem just because I happened to get pregnant around the time when I was due for one. It is a fairly uninvasive test. Perhaps if a woman already has a weak cervix though. I agree about asking the midwives. They would know.
#5 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 08:36 AM

I have had 5 miscarriages and 3 were soon after the pap and internal. I no longer allow anything internal until after 24 weeks.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your heart heals soon.
#6 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I m/c at 8 weeks, a few days after a Pap (it was right when they had that recall about contaminated "sterile" speculums.) Don't know if it was related, but that was the LAST time I allowed a Pap while pg.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#7 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 12:24 PM

It is my understanding that the changes in the cervix during pregnancy make a "false positive" pap more likely. In most European countries, they don't do a pap at all during pregnancy, and not until six months after.

It doesn't cause problems for most women, but you can't know if you'll be one of the ones with a sensitive cervix until it's too late.

I refused a pap during this pregnancy because I'd been having spotting all week (it was very light and pale pink/brown, but still worrying to me). I am glad I did.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. I hope you are quickly recovered, and able to get pregnant again soon.

Kathryn
#8 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 05:03 PM

I had a pap around 8 weeks with my first pregnancy, which ended in miscarriage. No idea if the pap was a contributing factor or not - there was a lot of things going on at the time.

With ds I had a pap at 4/5 weeks (I didn't know I was pregnant yet), and 3 or 4 more paps during that pregnancy because they kept coming back abnormal - I *always* have abnormal paps while pregnant and normal while not pregnant.

But knowing I have false abnormals while pregnant, never again will I have a pap done during pregnancy because it's pretty much useless.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#9 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 06:43 PM

Omg i had a pap done when i was preggos with dd. Luckly she was born health at 37 weeks. After he gave me a pap i bled a little and hurt for a while. I was scared that i might m/c, glad i didnt. Now that i know what can happen im telling my doc to wait.
#10 of 23 Old 02-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned

I'm so very sorry about your loss ...

May I please ask a dummy question : what is pap ?
When I was pg I had all the tests possible as I was considered high risk and as far as I can remember all of them were just about taking a culture with something that looks like a big q-tip with soft cotton on the end. So is it something that may cause trouble (just want to know for the future)?

Thanks!
Yulia.
#11 of 23 Old 02-14-2006, 01:37 AM

I am so sorry. I don't know if the two are related, but I had a pap at 8 weeks and bled afterward and was afraid I would miscarry even though the doc said it was normal. I won't have one with future pregnancies.
#12 of 23 Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 PM

Yulia, a pap smear is for detecting abnormal cells which may indicate the presence of human papilloma virus, which causes genital warts and sometimes can lead to cervical cancer.
#13 of 23 Old 02-14-2006, 01:33 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss.
#14 of 23 Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 PM

I'm so, so sorry.

Unless you know your m/c was related to your cervix giving out though, I really doubt the two were at all related. All they are doing is scraping some cells off the cervix, so that can't possibly dislodge the baby or anything like that. FWIW, I didn't have a pap my first pg, m/c'd, did have one early on with this one and my daughter and (so far so good...I'm 12 weeks along) obviously didn't m/c. I can honestly say too if I did m/c at this point I wouldn't think of the pap as a contributing factor.

maybe if you can find out some more information about why your miscarriage happened (as much as is possible, there's very little known truly as to why) that might give you a little bit of peace of mind.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#15 of 23 Old 02-14-2006, 04:19 PM

I am sooooo soooooo very sorry. I really don't know the answer, I can only give you my experience. I'm pg. with my 4th child. I don't remember whether I got a pap or not with my first one. With my second, I do remember getting a pap done and all was fine, she's healthy and happy. With my third pg. I did have a pap at about 7 weeks, I m/c at 12 weeks (the baby actually passed at about 9 weeks, but I didn't know until 12). I think that span of time would make me believe it wasn't due to the pap. With this pg. I had a pap at about 7 weeks, it came back abnormal so I had to repap at..umm I'm thinking it was about 15 or 16 weeks. I do know that for this one they did a special pap (for pg. people) the little wand they used just looked different (in shape). I have had no problems and am now at almost 25 weeks.

Based on my experience, I would say that the pap probably didn't cause it, but my experience is not scientific obviously.

I'm really sorry for what you are going through. I understand it all too well. It's only been 9 months since I lost my baby and it still hurts really really bad.
#16 of 23 Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

To everyone who has taken the time to share their experiences and thoughts....thank you soooo much. When I shared my situation, I recently recieved the news of my m/c and was (and still am) emotionally distraught. I just had my first visit with my OB and she is absolutely certain that the pap had nothing to do with my m/c. In my heart I am not totally convinced, but that may have to do with me (and my husband) dealing with our loss. It had taken us 2 1/2 years to have our first and 2 years for us to have good news again. I needed to hear some insight from other women and see if others have experienced similar times. You have all helped me out a lot. One thing is for sure... I will not have any paps while pregnant (esp. that they all have been normal in the past), and we will continue to try for another. Thanks, once again, and my heart goes out to all.
#17 of 23 Old 02-16-2006, 01:54 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I am so sorry for your loss.

My first pg ended in mc and no pap was done.

I have suspected at least two other very early mc's with no pap or pg test.

My next two pg's I had a pap and delivered.

This pg I also had a pap and am now at 32 weeks.

I think that there is no real way to know for sure if they are related as most of the time no one knows what caused the mc. In the future you could say no or delay it if that would make you feel better!

Once again I am so sorry for your loss!

Resistance is futile Matey
#18 of 23 Old 02-17-2006, 01:47 AM

Wow, I had forgotten that I had a pap early on while I was still seeing my old OB. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully you will have more good news as soon as you are ready.
#19 of 23 Old 02-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieV
I'm so, so sorry.

Unless you know your m/c was related to your cervix giving out though, I really doubt the two were at all related. All they are doing is scraping some cells off the cervix, so that can't possibly dislodge the baby or anything like that. FWIW, I didn't have a pap my first pg, m/c'd, did have one early on with this one and my daughter and (so far so good...I'm 12 weeks along) obviously didn't m/c. I can honestly say too if I did m/c at this point I wouldn't think of the pap as a contributing factor.

maybe if you can find out some more information about why your miscarriage happened (as much as is possible, there's very little known truly as to why) that might give you a little bit of peace of mind.
I have always been against Pap Smears. They are inaccurate and they permanantly damage the cervix. There are safer ways to test for cervical cancer, HPV, and abnormal cells.

Do a simple search on MDC, and you will find tons of studies and information.
Women who are educated can be the best advocates for change for all of our daughters health and safety.
#20 of 23 Old 02-17-2006, 05:56 PM

sorry for your loss!

but I've read up on miscarriages a bunch, having had 3 already, and there is no scientific link between paps and m/c.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#21 of 23 Old 02-17-2006, 07:15 PM

Why do they need to do Paps in pregnancy? I'm pregnant with baby #2, my baby is still 8 months old, so she's fairly young....I had a pap when I was pregnant with her and at my 6 week check-up, but didn't really know anything back then (except I wouldn't drink the glucose drink, and I had a natural labor, and of course stuff for her after she was born!) but do you really need a Pap and why? Especially since I've had two normal ones within a year? I am being seen at a military hospital (that is hopefully changing) and I'm probably about 4.5-5 months along, and going for my FIRST appointment (military healthcare sucks!) why would it be necessary, and since it's military will they listen to me if I refuse the test?
#22 of 23 Old 02-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyGrace'sMommy
...I had a pap when I was pregnant with her and at my 6 week check-up, but didn't really know anything back then (except I wouldn't drink the glucose drink...
I did drink the glucose drink when I was pregnant . I didn't know there is something wrong with it . Please, educate me so I won't do the same mistake twice !

Thanks!
Yulia.
#23 of 23 Old 02-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Yulia, do a search on "Glucose Tolerance Test" or "Gestational Diabetes"

and you will find pages and pages of info about the test, other options, etc.

Kathryn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page