Fish Oils..EPA, DHA, 3, 6, 9??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-22-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

This is my first post, I just found out that I am pregnant for the 2nd time!! We lost our son at 20 weeks and it took over 2 years to get pregnant again! So we are very excited. Here is my question:

I have been taking fish oils for a few years. I take Nortic Naturals Complete Omega 3*6*9. But I just bought the "Ultimate Omega" that just has Omega-3's. But I heard that you don't want to take a lot of EPA when pregnant. Is this true? Should I just get the DHA? It is all so confusing....thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-22-2006, 06:45 PM

I can't really help except to say that I am confused, too! I wonder about this all the time. Since I don't know what to take and am afraid of the PCB's, I am just trying to eat nuts and flax seeds.
Where in CO are you? I'm in Ft. Collins.

Congratulations!
#3 of 4 Old 02-22-2006, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
:

Living the good life
#4 of 4 Old 02-22-2006, 07:32 PM

Omega threes are the most important. People get far too much omega six's in their diets and are almost always deficient in omega 3's. There needs to be a good balance, plus cod liver oil has essential vitamins in it that are especially necessary in pregnancy. Omega 3's help with the development with the baby's brain, and vitamins A (preventing heart defects and other anomalies) and D (prevention of rickets-which is becoming more common nowadays due to insufficient amounts of D in our diets and lives) are essential as well. It will also increase the fat in your breastmilk.

If you are using a good brand it has been cleaned and tested. There really is no reason to worry about it. You can read some things about it at www.westonaprice.org

I use a high DHA CLO. None of my reading has suggested that you need to limit EPA's when pregnant-but that doesn't mean you don't. All I can tell you is that my docs and nutritionist have me taking a very high dose of high DHA CLO every day. You don't want to give a high dose of EPA to babies directly, but that's a different story. HTH.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page