Chux's pads... What the norm. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, My mw wants me to have at least 2 large chux pads (for my birth kit) but today her assistant suggested that I'm going to need about 12? What's the norm? and does a person really go through that many before birth? Why can't I use depends or sanitary napkins? I plan on having a water birth so I won't be needing them after I'm 6cm's right? I plan on using depends for after labor. Plus, I'm not going to go to my mw house as soon as labor begins- I plan on waiting until I absolutly have to go! ~ boovert
#2 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 10:08 PM

Chux pads are not interchangeable with Depends or sanitary napkins. They are large, absorbent sheets that you can spread over stuff like the bed or the carpet or pretty much wherever you feel like being in labor (I spent awhile in early labor on the couch) - they're as thin as thick paper but they're very absorbent, and they're backed with waterproof plastic.

I don't know if there is a norm, because there's a wide range of variance in how much you can bleed in labor. And of course your water may or may not break, etc. I had a waterbirth too, and we didn't go through that many chux during labor. They were great to have afterward though. I bled a fair bit for the first couple days and I'd put one under me on the bed and on my recliner. I still carry one or two in the diaper bag too, they're good emergency changing pads, especially when baby has a blowout. HTH
#3 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 10:27 PM

The only chux I had were what my mw left with me after the birth, I wish I'd had more! I had a water birth last time, and am planning one this time, but I'm going to buy some to have on hand. I slept on them for several days after the birth because I had no clue how heavy my bleeding would be, or how long I'd sleep, and I didn't want to stain the sheets. I also used them to lay my dd on when I changed her, meconium is nasty, you don't want that on your carpet, changing table, etc. Plus, newborn poo is pretty gooey and there were many times she'd explode out of her cloth diapes, I was so greatful for those pads and so sad when I ran out!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#4 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 11:14 PM

Yes, those pads are great. We used them all after birth, they are great!!!
#5 of 16 Old 03-02-2006, 11:18 PM

you usually buy them by the pack, and i think its good to have more rather than less. i used them after the birth so i could sit without panties on in bed.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#6 of 16 Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 AM

My supply list calls for 24!
Last time we went through about 8-10 of them I guess. I laboured in water but had to get out and move right before delivering. Not the plan but sometimes you just go with the flow
This time around I have the leftovers from last time and a new pack of 10 that I can return if we don't need them.
But they really are handy

Unschooling, wannabe farmers with DP, DS1 (02), DS2 (06), and DD (08) on The Farm by the sea. And maker of SuzysBeesWraps

#7 of 16 Old 03-06-2006, 05:09 AM

I wished I had more! I ended up vomiting several times during transition, and I was kneeling bent over a sofa and didn't want to/couldn't walk to the bathroom, and for some reason my midwives just kept putting a clean chux pad under my head and I vomited on that rather than in a bowl or bucket. So we used up several that way and probably several on the floor when I delivered the baby, the placenta, etc., and somehow I ended up with only one left after the birth.

I wished I'd bought a second pack -- I could've always returned it to the drugstore if I didn't need to open it. I also wanted to use them on the bed those first couple of days.

Robin
#8 of 16 Old 03-06-2006, 11:14 AM

Anyone know if there is a washable alternative? I used to be a nurse's aide, adn to me chux pads = intervention, so I'm not wanting to use them! Silly mental hangup, I know. If you have a good layer of 2 towels, do you think that would be good?

Cara
#9 of 16 Old 03-06-2006, 01:41 PM

The towels would be absorbent, but there wouldn't be the same waterproof barrier as the plastic layer in the chux. Maybe you could find some vinyl or something waterproof-but-reusable at a fabric shop, and put that under your towels.

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
#10 of 16 Old 03-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
Anyone know if there is a washable alternative? I used to be a nurse's aide, adn to me chux pads = intervention, so I'm not wanting to use them! Silly mental hangup, I know. If you have a good layer of 2 towels, do you think that would be good?

Cara
I feel the same way as I was a nurse before my dd was born. I'm having a homebirth and just decided to go ahead and let the MWs use the chux for the actual birth since it seemed the easiest option. I know there are thin but absorbant cloth pads (no waterproof backing or anything) that some hospitals use instead of chux underneath their incontinent patients...maybe you could find some of those? Of course since your sig says you are planning a UC, you can use whatever you want!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#11 of 16 Old 03-06-2006, 01:58 PM

I think I got a pack of 50, which seemed like a lot, but I labored for a while on a new ottoman and the couch, so it was great. Everything cleaned right up! No one could tell by looking the things that the ottoman has seen! I'd say, get more than you think you'll need.
#12 of 16 Old 03-06-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
I feel the same way as I was a nurse before my dd was born.
Lol, so I'm not so strange! The peach plastic, the soft crinkling if you sit on them, and I bet they even have a smell, shudder! I'm a nut.

I think I'll do a plastic sheet on the bed or a shower curtain, put another sheet over it, and then many towels around wherever I think I'd be going to. We have like 6 towels, and maybe I'll pick up like 4 more closer to the birth. That's what I was planning on doing anyway, but all this talk about chux made me second guess myself!

Cara
#13 of 16 Old 03-06-2006, 03:18 PM

You can also buy waterproof bed pads to use. I use them on my bed for spit ups and leaky diapers. I also got a couple to put over my mattress in case my water breaks. Some of them have a vinyl backing and some are just made of waterproof type fabric. I got some bassinet sized ones at Babies R Us and larger ones for my bed at Target. I did also get 12 chux in my birth kit and a couple of packages that were on clearance at Target a few months ago. I really liked them during my last labor and for postpartum. They came in handy and made for easy clean up!
#14 of 16 Old 03-07-2006, 10:53 AM

I bought a dozen (as recommended by the midwife) and we only used a couple since I had a waterbirth. I used one the first night or two when sleeping and the rest went unused... but I'm going to buy a dozen again just to be safe. And the pharmacy that carries them is just 5 minutes away so I can always get more if needed.
#15 of 16 Old 03-07-2006, 12:25 PM

I think I had a dozen on hand with my last two births but only used 2. Because you are planning a waterbirth you won't need as many because it's likely you won't spend much time on land once your water has broken and you won't use up as many afterwards.

We used one for after the birth on my bed when my MW was checking me and we used one as a changing pad for the baby the first couple of days because of the meconium.

I don't know how many come in a package but I would probably want to have 6-8 on hand in case your water breaks without contractions or you decide to get out of the tub. You can always keep the left overs for your next birth or to pass onto another Mama friend

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#16 of 16 Old 03-07-2006, 02:53 PM

My MW says they will follow me around with one all the time so I don't mess up the couch, etc.

We bought four 10 packs of pads at Walmart. Those we don't open or use, we can return. They are quite inexpensive, and i think its nice to have enough that there are no worries. My MW says they use them quite a bit.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page