Prenatal yoga book/website recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-04-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just reading through the other post here about yoga during pregnancy and I would love to try some prenatal yoga but can't afford an actual class. Can anyone recommend any good books or websites with some good prenatal yoga or other stretching exercises?

I consider myself in pretty good shape but I can always use more ideas for stretching.

Thanks!!

-lizabird

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#2 of 6 Old 03-04-2006, 03:57 PM

I don't know about a book or website, but what about just buying a video or DVD that you can use over and over again at home? I just bought a DVD yesterday. I haven't tried it yet but I'll let you know if it is any good.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#3 of 6 Old 03-04-2006, 11:38 PM

This is the one I use and love:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3375251

You can see by the cover that it's not a "new" book--the pics look very "early 80s" in hair and clothing--but I like how clear it is and how every pose is broken down by recommended trimester(s) and also by type of pose/body area of focus. It also includes some post-partum poses as well.

If you do a search on Amazon, you will see that there are a TON of prenatal yoga books (I just did "yoga for pregnancy" and came up with three pages' worth). So what I did to find one I liked was check my local library first. Once I got to look at them and try using them, I picked the one I liked and bought it! Libraries are wonderful things...
#4 of 6 Old 03-05-2006, 03:47 PM

New Active Birth by Janet Balaskas has pregnancy yoga at the start and shows how to build up as your pregnancy progresses. It then shows how these positions can be useful in labour along with loads of other info which I found really useful - and my dc loved the photos, especially the woman standing birthing a footling breech! They were amazed!
#5 of 6 Old 03-06-2006, 05:01 AM

I also have really enjoyed the yoga exercises in the book Active Birth. I actually bought two different prenatal yoga videos or DVDs during my first pregnancy, but quit using them once I found the Active Birth book. I have found it much more peaceful to do the poses quietly, at my own pace using the book than having to watch/listen to/pause a video or DVD. I am now using the Active Birth poses for a second pregnancy. Good luck!

Robin
#6 of 6 Old 03-08-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely check out the library selectoin, but it's tough to browse the library with a toddler in tow, it's definitely more productive for me to have an idea what I'm looking for first. If I love a book from the library and must have it for more than 3 weeks, then I usually buy it.
I'll also agree from my personal experience that I'll use a book much more than a DVD. Probably a class would be best but they're so expensive.

Thanks again,

lizabird

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page