Need Help With a Boy Name Right Away!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 03-10-2006, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Crunchy Mamas!!!

I am having a naming dilemma! At 40 weeks, we need one right away! Daddy wants to name baby Walter (I hate it!) and I want to name the baby Kaelan (and he hates it!), so I am posting here to rally up a vote. I feel that Walter, while not a bad name, is so old, it is so 1920's and feels very 'grandfatherly' to me. And the nickname Wally seems weak and like a pushover. Daddy feels that Walter is a successful name and feels that he will likely be wealthy and successful. Kaelan is my top choice, I feel it is very strong, masculine and unusual.

My son is named Aiden, which is Celtic/Gaelic as well as Kaelan. The two names go well together. Some people have expressed that Kaelan sounds feminine though.

All of the names up for consideration:

My Suggestions:

Aaron
Caleb
Kaelan

Daddy's Suggestions:

Walter
Logan

He just suggested Logan and I love that name! I am trying to convince him that Logan is a keeper! I can compromise on that!!!

Thanks to all!

Blessings,
-Cherie
#2 of 27 Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 PM

I like Logan! I think you should try that one out on him when he's born

My nephew's name is actually Kaelon, and I like the name, but it does end up coming out "Kaitlynn" when younger kids say it

Edited to add: Welcome!! always nice to see another crunchy Mama joining us here
#3 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 01:35 AM

I like Logan and Caleb.
#4 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 02:49 AM

Aaron - A fine name!
Caleb - Kind of trendy sounding (very popular where I live).
******* - I know more girl babies named this (which is a shame as it's an ugly girl name). But I'd avoid it for that reason (plus it's a surname, which I think is fine for a MN but not a a FN). Sorry.
Kaelan - Sounds totally made-up and like a misspelled Kaitlyn (which already can be spelled a hundred diff ways ugh). Definitely wouldn't go there. But that's just me.

Daddy's Suggestions:

Walter - I agree it would be a bit doddery, but Walt's a great NN! Wally's not.
Logan - Although a surname it's not as surname-ish sounding as *******. Does that make sense? So it's better than ******* but still not my fave. Plus I think Logan's Run so I think cheesy 70s TV show. But I'm old. *grins*

Of all your choices, I'd go with Aaron or Walter, NN Walt.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#5 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 02:53 AM

Honestly, I'd go with Logan over Walter or Kaelan. If you like, it sounds like a good compromise!
#6 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 04:20 AM

My personal choice would be Caleb (it's not popular here at all). But, if you both like Logan, that's a good one too (very popular here).

Here's a little story for ya...
My sister's name is Cailin, which I beleive is pronounced the same as Kaelan. She was "supposed" to be a boy... she was going to be named Caleb. Well, when she popped out and had no boy parts... my parents thought Cailin was a perfect alternative.
#7 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 04:40 AM

My husbands name is Logan. Only possible con about choosing that name is that it's become a more popular girls name lately. Lots of baby girls are being named Logan right now, but I'm not sure if that trend will stick or not. So when your baby is growing up, there could be more female Logans instead of male ones. If that doesn't bother you at all, then I'd pick that name (but my opinion is a bit biased).

As for the others, these are just my opinions. Good luck choosing a name!

Aaron - So many already have this name, I hear it all the time
Caleb - Becoming very popular and fast, but I like it anyway
Kaelan - The spelling would give him too much grief I think, plus it seems more like a girls name?
Walter - Old fashioned, but ok if that's what you like (I can't help but think old people when I hear it though).

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#8 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 04:41 AM

My brother in law is Logan. Can't say I'm a super huge fan of the name, but it's nice and he's a super cool guy.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 06:32 AM

Oh my god, grace!
before i even click this thread, when i have read about baby boy's name, LOGAN came into my mind.
i was really surprised when i saw your post and found out that you have suggested Logan.

so definitely i will say Logan.....

#10 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 08:27 AM

I really like the name Walter, but I am a fan on old man names.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#11 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 10:19 AM

I actually really dig the name Walter! It's unusual and I just love the idea of a cute little guy with an older name like that. Wally, not so great I guess, but Walt is good. I also like Kaelen though and can get why you favor that with Aiden. My husband's name is Aaron so I'm biased, but I've always liked that name. Not at all crazy about Logan, & as previous posters suggested it's getting more popular.
Good luck! Marian
#12 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 10:23 AM

In order I prefer Logan, Aaron & Walter.

I have friends that have a Walter that is now 3 years old, they call him Walt and I think it's kind of funky/cute

Kaelon & ******* are too girlie for me personally and Caleb is too popular.

Good luck but don't feel rushed, I wouldn't worry about it until after he was born - you never know you could look at him and it could be an easy decision.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#13 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 10:36 AM

I actually like Walter (could be called Walt if you prefer). I know a Walter that is in his 30's and one that is 6 years old.

But if you both like Logan, it sounds like that is the perfect choice. With ds2 we had to go with a "compromise" name since neither of us liked the other's first choice.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#14 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 11:16 AM

Can I throw in Declan? It's Irish and it would go with Aiden. And, I'm a bit biased (see signature)

And, other than that... I really like Logan! Our dental hygienist called her son Logan and it really suits him!
#15 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 11:46 AM

I agree that I see a lot of girls being named Logan these days, so that would deter me. I'm in the Walt/Walter camp. Grandma/grandpa names are all the rage! I think it's great.

Check out www.babynamesofireland.com if you want more Irish names. My favorite boy name is, of course, Ronan!

good luck,
Erin

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#16 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 11:55 AM

I vote Logan! I HATE HATE HATE Walter (although that could be because it's the name of my very non-successful never-had-a-job-in-his-life broke alcoholic abusive father.... ) I also think it does not 'go with' Aiden at all.

Yep... my vote is for Logan!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#17 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 12:33 PM

Dh's cousin and his wife have a sone he sma age as our oldest sone. Our ds is William Warren. their ds is Walter Warren. He goes by Walt, and I love it.
#18 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 12:34 PM

Hi there

The name would be spelt Caolan - which is pronounced cwaylaan. There is no K in the gaelic alphabet. Its a very traditional gaelic name. We werethinking of calling our latest caolan but have since decided on Tadhg Ruadhan.
Best of luck
Kate
#19 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 02:18 PM

If you're trying to get him to cool off on "Walter," (and I would -- no offense to lovers of Walters out there) try renting "Sleepless in Seattle." The hapless, dopey, kind of annoying character that you don't want Meg Ryan to end up with is named Walter, and I feel like there are several scenes where the name is tied in pretty closely with the dopeyness. Maybe that'll help!

Good luck with the name and best wishes for a happy, healthy birth!

Mimi :yawning: the happy mama of one DD & one DS ; married to my sweetie.
#20 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 02:23 PM

I already posted something on this thread, but wanted to add this:

I know there are "sterotypes" connected to names, or people just have certain connotations. However, Walter is not at all like "Madonna" or "Elvis." (Not that those are bad names, just examples!) People may think of Walter as an "older person's" name, but if your ds is named that, once they meet him, they won't think that so much anymore. Because now they'll have a new association - your darling son! So if you dislike it only because of what image it evokes for you, I'd think more about if you like how it sounds.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#21 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your great advice, and still looking for more! I am excited to hear that Walter isn't as washed out as I thought, though I am having an extremely tough time accepting Walter as a name for my son. I think I would cry if I really had to call him that. I don't think it is a bad name, I just don't find it suitable. And I wish I did. I wish I have a girl!!!! Today is my official due date and I am so upset about the name thing as we have been discussing it all day and night. I would like to relax with a compromise that I feel comfortable with calling my child. This baby is a surprise by the way, I have chosen to not find out the sex because I dream of the sex of my children and I have had 2 boy dreams so far this pregnancy and my dreams of the first two pregnancies were right, so there is still the possibility of a girl here. But we haven't discussed girl names in too much depth.

Daddy and I have had many ups and downs together and when DS was born, I made the decision to call him Aiden as Daddy and I weren't coming to terms or even really talking at the time of the birth. In an effort to get him more involved in this pregnancy, I told him he could name the child. I was expecting a compromise though. Naming the baby Walter would be good for our relationship, but hard for me as the mommy. I guess I owe it to him. I told him I can't call him that and I would appease him by putting Walter on the birth certificate but I would call him a nick name of my choosing. Needless to say, Daddy is very upset that I would not 'trust' his judgement enough to call him Walter and accept it as a 'good' name. It doesn't 'feel' like the right kind of name for him, it is very hard for me to accept. I don't know what to do, I just wish he would compromise!

I would like to thank you all first off!

Trini- I have terribly stereotyped Walter and feel it is great for a 'Grandpa Walt' or 'Uncle Walter', I wish I could see past that! And I hate 'Wally' and I live very close to 'Walt' Disney World. Compromise sounds great though!

Mimi37- Great suggestion! I will try that!

BethByrne- Thanks for the insight, I fell in love with Kaelan straight out of a baby book that said it was an Irish boys name. I assumed pronunciation was Kay-Lin or Kay-Len. I was criticized on another forum for being too tryndee (as they say!) although I am following a name that spoke to my heart and not something I have heard anywhere else or intentionally changed spelling of, it was the spelling I saw in the book. They enlightened me of the correct spelling but said it was pronounced Kee-Lin, now I am all confused! Lol! I checked out the baby names of Ireland website and thought what a cool name Tadhg was before I even saw your post! Good choice Mama!

LuckyMomma2- Thanks for the link! I enjoyed checking out real Irish names! And Ronan is a great name, I think Irish names sound so strong!

Deleria- Declan, another great Irish name! How do you pronounce it, where do you put the emphasis? And it does sound great with Aiden.

Kerikadi- Thanks, I am in such a panic to have a name before he got here, and it could all change when I finally look into his (or her!!!) eyes.

Caffeine_Kitty- Lol! How ironic!

To everyone I didn't directly respond to, thanks for helping me see an upside to Walter! To everyone that wasn't in favor of Walter, thanks for giving me ammo to fire back at Daddy!!! LOL! (he keeps IMing me posts on his forums in favor of Walter!) To everyone that voted for Logan as a great compromise, thanks, Logan is definitely a name I can live with and seemed to be overall most popular! (Yeah!) With of course, Walter a close second. Aaron, I just like saying it now, I never liked it before, just recently liked it, and thanks to those of you who voted Aaron. Thanks to all giving the up and downsides of Caleb and other names.

Although ******* hasn't been popular, I knew a ******* and everyone loved him, he was very popular, dark and mysterious. And he was sooooo handsome!

Such a shame that so many great boy names are finding themselves on girls!!! Although I can't blame anyone, I had a tougher time finding girl names that I liked than finding boys and the boy names can sometimes be cute on girls!

Blessings,
-Cherie
#22 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 04:05 PM

i have a caleb, i love the name. it's not popular at all where i live. i thought it was a really common name until i had one, nobody says it right and i've gotten several "i've never heard that one" with it. our ped calls him calev, rhymes with olive. no matter how many times we correct him

walter is kind of growing on me suddenly.

i have a kieran, too. cieran is the gaelic spelling, but we decided on the k spelling, partially for ease of pronunciation.
#23 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

MBHF, those are great names! I saw Cieran today on baby names of Ireland website and thought that would be a great alternative as Kaelan doesn't seem too popular, and I really like Caleb. Thanks!
#24 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 06:48 PM

If you don't like Walter, I don't think you should use it just to make your DH happy. Even if you're having trouble coming up with something you both agree on. However, for what it's worth, I like the name Walter--I know a very adorable 9-month-old named Walter and I think it's suits him well. I agree with the person who said that once you use the name for your son, people's associations will change. But this is also coming from someone who has a bias toward older, classic-sounding names anyway.

I really like Aaron and Caleb also from your list. Logan sounds very trendy to me...I don't mind popular names, but the ones that have only spiked very recently I would be concerned about using just b/c they could seem very dated later.
#25 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 07:10 PM

Well, I can see why you're having trouble compromising as Walter & Kaelan are about as opposite names as you're going to get! I'm not a fan of Walter. My ds is Kieran too ( MBHF), and I was surprised to find so many people have trouble with it...until I learned to pronounce it for people V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y AND D-E-L-I-B-E-R-A-T-E-L-Y it was often heard by people as Karen, and I can see how Kaelan and the ubiquitious Kaitlyn could get similarly confused.

Aaron would be my top choice of your list if the baby's father will go for it - it's classic and Aiden & Aaron go together nicely. Logan is a good compromise, but I've only known girls named that IRL. I like Caleb too, and I don't know any Caleb's in my area.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#26 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnohobbit

Deleria- Declan, another great Irish name! How do you pronounce it, where do you put the emphasis? And it does sound great with Aiden.

-Cherie
i agree with deleria declan is a great name (my sons name so im biased), but we get so many compliments on his name, and people love it.

pronounced like deck lan, but not a harsh k if you know what i mean.

hope this helps
#27 of 27 Old 03-11-2006, 10:34 PM

What about Warren? It has a similar feel to Walter for me except its a bit hipper...but still not trendy KWIM? Plus it doesn't have any stupid nicknames.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page