Sept/Oct Mamas-to-be (Feb 15-21) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2003, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good morning mamas. this is the thread for mamas expecting in september or october 2003. if you are due around then, please feel free to join us!

i know said i would start a new thread yesterday, but ended up spending the whole day in bed with a head cold. it has cleared up a bit since, so here i am. here is the roll call (thanks to shane):

BABY # 1
Lisa - Sept 17, #1, Hospital
Priya - Sept 25, #1
Sarah - Sept 25, #1?
hypatia - Sept 26, #1, Home
Ravin - Sept 28, #1, Home
Glittergal - Oct 9 #1
Daria - Oct 21, #1, Hospital

BABY #2
Kris - Sept 11, #2
Emma - Sep 12, #2, Hospital
Shelly K. - Sept 17, #2
Eman'smom - Sept 18, #2
Ladylee - Sept 24, #2 VBAC
Amy - Sept 26, #2
Christine - Sept 26, #2, Hospital
Shannon - Sept 27, #2
Domestic Goddess - Oct #2
Mamaley - Oct 1, #2, birth center
Angela - Sept/Oct, #2
velryba - Oct 2, #2, home
Mamarsupial - early Oct, #2, Hospital (CNM, Doula)
Alexandra - early Oct, #2
Muslimomma, #2, Home (Unassisted)

BABY #3
Tammi ? Sept 18, #3
Carolyn - Mid/end Sept, #3, Home
Ashley - end Sept, #3
Shane - Oct 1, #3, Home
Czen - Oct 25 #3

BABY #4
Kelly - Sept 9, #4, Birth Center
Deb - Sept 19, #4
TreeLove - Sept 27, #4
Britt - Oct 8, #4, home
mamapenelope - October, #4, Home
Cori, #4, Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2003, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

oh, and i thought i should add that we are birthing in a hospital, but with a certified nurse midwife and doula. maybe we could add ob-gyn, cnm, trad midwife, unassisted, etc. to the list?
Old 02-16-2003, 02:34 PM

Add me in, the farther I get into the pregnancy the more confident I am that it will stick, this will be baby number 2, our current plan is a birth center ( located in a hospital) with a midwife, maybe a doula, of course if we buy a house we are concidering a homebirth, but I'm not planning on it.
My due date is 9/18 (our anniversary)

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 02-16-2003, 04:41 PM

Thanks for starting this thread mamarsupial - hope you're feeling better.

Still queasy, still eating for waaaay more than two...same old, same old.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:15 PM

yes, thanks for compiling this list, and I'm jumping on, too. My second, due 9/24, let's say VBAC, uncertain where at this point.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

welcome and congatulations eman'smom and ladylee!

thanks should go to shane for the list, she's the one who started keeping track of us (all THIRTY of us!)

morning sickness: my head cold is much better and my morning sickness is well in hand. i'm tellin' ya -> seabands! they really help. i think keeping hydrated and napping when i can helps too (and going to bed at 8pm).

cravings: salt and sweet today. vanilla yogurt with mango, then i wanted eggs and toast. at lunch, i had some chicken, then a chocolate peppermint luna bar, then chips and salsa, then a big pear and a raspberry popsicle. i had lost 3 lbs from the time we found out we were pg, but with all this eating i'm back to where i started

belly: according to the baby books, my bun is about the size of a pinto bean now...but it seems like my belly is already starting to pop. i can feel it when i lay on my stomach, and when i zip up my pants. may need to start wearing my post-partum stretchy and baggy clothes.

nursing: breastfeeding dd is going well, but my nipples are getting sore. anyone have any tricks? (besides weaning!).

btw, i know we talked about some birth trauma a bit, but i'm curious to know what people will do differently this time around. i know it would be helpful to me, and maybe to everyone else (especially the first time moms). for me, the big changes will be:

+ healthful, organic diet (we ate well before, but i as bad about ice cream, occational fast foods, etc.)
+ avoid induction (also through diet)
+ less weight gain (for health reasons, not vanity)
+ yoga and birth ball throughout pregnancy
+ labor as long as possible at home
+ just dh, doula, midwife, and nurse in labor room (last time we had my parents and dh's mom along).

i'm also thinking ahead to the small things like aromatherapy and music during labor. small details that really helped with my labor with dd. nothing like a peppermint food rub during labor!
Old 02-16-2003, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Lisa - Sept 17, #1, Hospital

Ok, ok, I KNOW that most likely we will end up in a hospital birth, so I'm not crying cuz my posts were interperted like that. I'm crying cuz I really really DON'T wanna have a hospital birth. My OB/Nurse Practioniner won't even be there, I will have NO idea who will deliver me, so I can't even go over a birth plan really.... the only ONLY thing that makes it bearable for me is that I WILL have a doula if I have to have a hospital birth. No ifs, ands or buts. There, ok I feel a little better!

Lots and lots of queasyness for me still. Have only thrown up once... so thats good. But I feel queasy before I eat, and then when I eat I have to kinda fight the food for it to stay down. So I'm not really feeling like eatting much these days.

According to our ultrasound from thursday our baby is 2.5 cm long. So itty bitty! I just can't wait until I can feel him/her moving!!!

I just had a renal ultrasound done yesterday because I've been spilling blood in my urine (nothing I can see, its microscopic amounts) and its not a UTI. My kidneys are fine, but I have gallstones. Fun fun! At least they don't hurt, so I'm thinking they will leave them alone unless they do. I guess its a good thing fatty foods makes me feel at least its easier to avoid foods that could make them worse.

And I'm glad that at least my Nurse Practionier is nice. Still very on the medicated side of things, but at least she's pleasant. I'm overweight, and she didn't make a big deal out of it. Well except the "watch your diet or you'll get chubbier during pregnancy"... which I think was proably her trying to nicely tell me to not eat like a cow. :LOL Which I already knew.

Oh yes and one more thing. She did a pap and I have vaganosis... (probably butchered the spelling) so at 14 weeks I have to take metronidazole for a week, because I guess the vaganosis can cause pre-term labor? Anyone know anything about that? Either the infection, or the medication, or the pre-term labor? I've filled my script, and I've got another 4+ weeks to look into all of this, but thought someone here might have some info too!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 02-16-2003, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa_Lynn
I'm crying cuz I really really DON'T wanna have a hospital birth. My OB/Nurse Practioniner won't even be there, I will have NO idea who will deliver me, so I can't even go over a birth plan really....
lisa - you can and should STILL have a birth plan! we went to a practice with 10 cnms, so we had no idea who out of the 10 would deliver dd. we made sure that there were a few copies of our birth plan in our file, asked each midwife we met with to go over it with us, made sure we had copies in our bag for the hospital, and our doula was very familiar with it. i was induced, so i assumed many of our goals were unachievable, but the cnm who attended the birth made a point of sitting down, reviewing the birth plan, and saying "we can still do nearly everything you had planned for." this was so comforting! birthing in the hospital doesn't have to be awful, but so much of has to do with how you prepare and having support (a doula is a great place to start!).
Old 02-16-2003, 11:49 PM

Lisa I agree, still do the birth plan, and have either your doula or your dh go over it with your nurse and who will deliver (if you are like me, when I was in labor I couldn't form a clear thought,) having a non laboring person talk really helps. I had a hospital birth and other than a few little "issues" I have it was really a very good experience. I also want to make clear it wasn't them, it was how I handled labor, just being to hard on myself.

This time around at 9.5 weeks I'm horribly ill, who ever called it morning sickness, I'm also so tired I can't stand it.

I can still button my pants, but I don't, anything touching my stomach makes me ill.

Due to the recent miscarriage we had an ultrasound earlier in the week our little guy was moving all over the place it was a great site to see.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 02-16-2003, 11:54 PM

Lisa Lynn -

Don't worry at all about the vaginosis. It is a normal bacterial overgrowth in the vagina that is VERY common in pregnant and non-pregnant women - many have no signs or symptoms. If untreated, it can cause preterm labor. Metronizadole is prefectly safe in pregnancy - just take it with food because it might upset your tummy. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

morning sickness - i know i sound like a broken record, but for those who are suffering, please try the sea-bands. i had awful m/s with dd from week 7-14. threw up almost once a day and always felt awful. we are in week 8 with #2, and for the last week i've woken up feeling sick...barely able to brush my teeth even. i put on the sea-bands and 10 mins later i feel 99% better.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm feeling pretty good here, almost worrisomely so, but my boobs still hurt so that is a good sign. I'm still always cold, and I did take a nap yesterday and a short one today. Kind of queasy, but now I can eat a lot more things. For awhile I was eating nothing but junk. I still am eating too much junk, come to think of it. I can't seem to eat vegetables--anyone else? I'm trying to eat fruit, and I'm craving orange juice.

I went to the OB to have a pap done, and he "discovered" my pregnancy and now I am seeing the OB. I was trying to decide if I should go to the homebirth midwife instead, but I guess I'll stay with this guy. He wanted to do an u/s at my last appointment, which was actually my first pregnancy appointment. Since I had a miscarriage last time, I was curious. He didn't see anything other than a sac with the regular u/s machine, so he used the vaginal wand and did see a heartbeat in a little 14 mm body, so I was pleased with that.

I'm still kind of torn about the homebirth thing, because I really wanted to do that in my last pregnancy, but my husband just won't go for it and I don't feel like trying to win him over on the subject. My plan at this point is to stay at home as long as possible.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:32 AM

mamarsupial & Eman'smom thank you! Yes I will still have a birth plan written, and share it in detail with Dh and Doula, but I'm just bummed I can't have at least my own doc or at least my own rotation of a few of them so I could go over my plan beforehand. I just so so SO want a homebirth... so I'm still looking into that, but I'm trying to not get my heart set on it, because it just might not be possible.

Glittergal thanks glad to know its normal and the meds are fine too. Yeah I read the insert and it says to take it with food. Definatly will! Won't be taking it for another month yet though... but at least I'm all set to go!

And I'll pick up some seabands when I go running around in the next day or two. Hopefully they help! Thanks for the idea

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 02-17-2003, 02:56 PM

Please add me to your list! I tested positive on Saturday. According to my calculations our due date will be October 25th. I am calling to set things up with my midwife and doula as soon as DD goes for her nap.

As far as MS I first felt it at 4 dpo. I almost thought it was my imagination playing tricks on me because we wanted to concieve. However its not been all that bad. Usually I get all day MS starting in a week or two. However, my diet is the best it has ever been with this pregnancy, I also feel in the best shape physically of my life. Keeping my fingers crossed that helps!

Mamarsupial, I'm curious how you use diet to avoid induction? I've been induced twice and my goal is to do everything I can to avoid it again! I'd love to hear any tips you have!
Old 02-17-2003, 03:21 PM

I also crave orange juice these days. Normally I really love veggies but now they don't seem quite as appetizing. (amywillo-I totally am in the same boat!) DH now wakes up early to cook me a nice omlette in the morning and that seem to help stabilize my m/s conditions for much of the day.

Yesterday when I was cleaning up after lunch, dd (2 yr) started running in and out of the kitchen, throwing some "imagined/pretend" thing into the garbage. So I asked her what she was doing. She told me that she is helping her motorcycle give birth to baby motorcycles (the motor cycle happens to have a little hole at its end) and she is cutting the umbilical cord and throwing it.
maybe if she keeps up the interest I'll have her cut #2's umbilical cord!

Regarding food and induction, I have read that evening primrose oil (or borage or black currant oil)help with cervical ripening because it contains the oils that are precusors to prostaglandins, which soften and ripen the cervix and prepare it to dilate. My midwife recommended 500mg daily starting at 36 weeks gestation and continue until birth. If this interests you, it may be a good idea to just double check with your midwife/nurse/ob.

Have a good week everyone
Old 02-17-2003, 04:04 PM
kel

The main things that I am doing differently in this pregnancy are to eat more healthfully, and most importantly - in moderation!! I gained way too much weight my last 2 pregnancies, and although it didn't cause any real health problems I sure didn't feel great about myself either. So I am also going to diligently exercise throughout this pregnancy, which I have been bad about letting slide in the past. As far as during labor, my main thing is just having someone to watch the kids - last labor when I was around them my labor almost completely stopped! The midwife said that for *some* moms, having the kids around can stop or slow labor because you're focusing on taking care of them instead of your labor. It certainly seemed true for me.

I guess I'm around 12 weeks now and doing good. My breasts are starting to get fuller and a bit tender, and I get really tired some days - that's about it so far.

xo - Kelly

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

Old 02-17-2003, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

diet: i had pregnancy induced hypertension during the last few weeks of pregnancy with dd. my blood pressue was and has been fine otherwise. anyway, things like cucumbers, celery, leafy greens (good all around thing to eat), and high protien foods are all supposed to help. my goal is to avoid pih and therefore, avoid induction. hopefully, by eating healthful and in moderation, i will avoid the problems i had last time around. foods to stimulate labor if you go overdue are evening primrose, red raspberry leaf, and i think black cohash (something only to take at the VERY end). spicey foods, sex, long walks, massage, and chiropractic adjustments are also supposed to help. check with your ob/midwife/doula about what things may work.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:31 PM

I am about 10.5 weeks along... I am feeling a bit stressed about how 'big' I already am. This will my second, but still... I haven't gained any weight, but my tummy is really getting noticeable. My evening I look like I am 5-6 months along. At the moment I can't wear maternity clothing, yet my real closthing feels so uncomfortable. I can't seem to feel uncomfortable unless I am wearing sweats...

i feel a little disillusioned with the birthplan idea. I had a great birthplan with my ds and we (my doctor and Dh) were all in agreement, yet once labour really started, I feel it all went out the window...

Sorry I am just feeling a little blue today,

Tired Emma (mum to a darling little boy who hates sleep)
Old 02-17-2003, 05:53 PM

Hi Everyone!
I guess I am joining your list. We just found out we are pregnant with our first, due 10/9 - it is a huge surprise but we are very excited! Happy to have found all of you!

Old 02-17-2003, 07:57 PM

Thanks for bringing the list over here! You've got the ball now.

Things are going along like the throwing up was never around. I'm back to how I felt with my past two. Still checking the cervix though

We are using a CNM for formal blood work and having a CPM for the birth. I guess for a while untill I get all the blood work results I will be seeing both at the same time. My CPM said to ask if the CNM would provide backup in the need of a transfer. I need to get the blood work results in hand first. Just incase there are hard feelings about my homebirthing. KWIM? THere is a bit of termoil going on in CT about homebirthing. My CPM is actually being charged by the state medical board with practicing medicine without a licence. Bogus charges but non the less she is in legal hell

My clothes are still fitting well. Can even button them. Even not pregnent I had time when I could not do this I could feel a little bump also if I lay flat on my back and press really firmly on my lower tummy. The best was to make it easier to feel your uterus is to have an orgasm THe uterus will tighten up.

I am also planning on having two differnt people at the birth to provide sibling support for my boys. Like said before I don't want to worry about them when in labor. I really want them there for the birth and individual support is very helpful.

Hope all are well-

PS. We bought a treadmill to have at home so I can excersice again

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

Old 02-17-2003, 09:14 PM

Old 02-18-2003, 01:39 AM

Hey, just checking in. Shane, so glad to hear that everything is going well. I'm still able to wear my pants too, and I'm kind of surprised by that, but grateful b/c I don't have anything very loose to wear! Although, like you said Emma, I do look much bigger at night.
I really want to try to feel the uterus like Shane was talking about...I think I will try that after I type this (minus the orgasm : hehehe)

My prenatals are making me feel sick but I'm trying to take them when I can.

The only time I eat vegetables is on a veggie delight sandwhich at Subway. I tell them to put every single vegetable on it. Probably not the most nutritious veggies I could eat, but better than nothing.

My breasts barely ever hurt at all...hardly have thoughout the pregnancy so far...but I have been experiencing nausea off and on. Especially bad last night and this morning. Is anyone else's coming and going?

8 weeks tomorrow, baby!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
For some reason I haven't felt well this evening. I'm tired and I really want to go to bed, but I've been waiting until it was time or something. I was hungry, but then I drank a couple glasses of tomato juice and was full but hungry. I made swiss chard and choked down about half of it. Normally I like it.

Yesterday I wanted BBQ pork, but I didn't eat any. I have been eating more meat than usual--I had a hamburger which is something I normally avoid, as well as pork.

My pants still fit fine, but I could wear my regular stretch jeans throughout most of my last pregnancy. My stomach feels huge, but I'm rather obese anyway, so it could just be I'm feeling fatter than normal. I haven't exercised in 4 days, so maybe it is all in my mind. I usually start to feel bad once I stop exercising.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:05 PM

What's up with all the pork cravings?

I have been dryheaving/vomiting every morning first thing in the morning for about 3 days in a row. Yuck. I never did this with ds.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:44 PM

Hi All,
Just thought I'd add myself to the list. I am currently almost 12 weeks (due around Sept 4) with my second. My ds is almost 2 This time around we are planning an unassisted birth and I am very excited about it. I am also hoping for an unassisted pregnancy (has been so far) but dh is a little nervous about not knowing if "everything is okay". He is getting less nervous as the weeks go on. (I had an early M/C the month before conceiving so I think he is scared to lose this one too).
Last time I had terrible morning sickness, but this time isn't so bad. I need to eat continuously to avoid that nauseous feeling though. My belly is huge already, last time I didn't show until past 20 weeks, this time it happened almost immediately. Needless to say the extended family is convinced I'm having twins:. The joke has become that I am eating for 4 (ds is nursing, myself, the baby, and the imaginary twin). They keep asking how I will know its twins if I don't see a doctor, I say if 2 babies come out instead of one I'll know for sure
Laurie

Old 02-18-2003, 06:08 PM

I've started wearing some of my maternity pants, and my mother got me some sale-priced sweat pants at Wal-Mart ($5 a pair it's hard to refuse, kwim?). She's still teasing me about it maybe being twins because when she was pregnant w/ my sisters her pants got too tight at @ 2 mo. I'm still waiting on my fragging medicaid card to see a doc or CNM.

As for food, I've been eating those veggie sandwiches from Subway a couple of times a week. I actually ate a 12 inch the other day (ate the halves about an hour apart), and usually a six inch is quite enough! I haven't been eating a LOT of sweets. Actually had crispy cremes in the house at breakfast and didn't want them. That's a first. Though if my local grocery store doesn't get in plain silk soymilk soon (they've been out--and so have I--for a week now), I'm going to scream. I'm getting tired of rice krispies (I DO have some chocolate silk, and that's the only cereal I like w/ chocolate milk on it. Don't like drinking it straight, though, too sweet.) I've been eating a LOT of cheese. Melted cheddar on a tortilla seems to be my favorite lunch for the past week (the week before that it was grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup.)

Needless to say, I've pretty much given up on going vegan until well after the baby's born.

I've been eating a lot of pickles, too, which is weird because before I got pg I usually didn't care for them much (well, pickled cucumbers, anyway, I used to love the different kinds of pickles they'd put in an o-bento (box lunch) when I lived in Japan).

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 02-18-2003, 06:59 PM

I've been having very bizarre food issues as well--I simply cannot cook ANYTHING-the smell of cooking food is more than I can bear. Have been eating a lot of Amy's frozen burritos, lasagne, pizzas and to tell you the truth, I've just about had it with those! I'm craving some good vegan food from Angelika's Kitchen or The Candle Cafe in NYC--and here I sit in the only part of southern CA that has no decent vegetarian restaurants around. It's really hard with dd--I need to prepare meals for her but I get so queasy! So looking forward to this passing, hope everyone is feeling well...
Old 02-18-2003, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ladylee
It's really hard with dd--I need to prepare meals for her but I get so queasy!
Hi ladies,

I'm having a heck of a time cooking and feeding ds. I've been asking dh to do it whenever possible. I made a tuna casserole last night...... couldn't stand the smell of it cooking, but I loved eating it!!

Whoever mentioned that drinking water with lemon juice would help m/s -- well, thanks -- you're a genius!! I can't get enough of the stuff!!! It does help better than anything else right now. (I keep forgetting to bring some to work - errrrrrr.) I am still having m/s all day and night. I have been actually woken up by it. YUCK!!!

I'm still very tired...... but I'm not sleeping well right now. No chance for a nap because I'm working FT. I tried to get a couch in my office, but that didn't fly.

Glad to hear how everyone is doing.......
Old 02-18-2003, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

PORK: that is so funny! i had a fried rice craving and called from the car to order it. i usually get it veggie, but opted for chicken for the extra protien. i picked up a new copy of the take out menu and the first thing that popped out at me was the word PORK! the whole way home i was wishing i had ordered everything with pork! hee hee.

MORNING SICKNESS: lemon water - i will have to try that. my ginger tea and sea bands are only doing so much. thought i was going to die this morning. ended up laying down in bed with dd and watching seseme street. we rarely let her watch tv, but something tells me that's going to change for the next 5-6 weeks of morning sickness.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:04 PM

Funny I just had pork the other day.... wasn't really craving it, just what my MIL cooked while we were visiting, but its interesting everyone is wanting it and then I go and have it.

I've found mini pretzels help my m/s SO much. And lots and lots of water too. I'm usually pretty bad about drinking enough water, before pregnancy ALL I drank was diet, caffine free coke. Once we were successful in getting pregnant, I will have maybe one soda a day, sometimes none at all. I'm glad that now they are treats to me, and water is what I'm drinking all the time now.

My cramps have gone away now (very thankful), I was having minor cramps constantly since we found out I was pregnant, and it worried me, but never had bleeding, so I tried not to worry. I'm very happy now that I don't have them... But my uterus feels SO full! Almost like if you have a very full tummy from eatting, but of course much lower...

I was so stoked last night, because I could feel my uterus! I'm not a small woman, but I just kinda prodded around like my nurse did, and ta-da there it is! Had to show my Dh too! I know it will be a good long time before I'm showing, but it made me so happy!

User Tag List