Help Me Pass The 1 Hour Glucose Test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During my last pg, I barely failed my 1 hour. They wanted me at 140 or below and I was 142. So then I went and failed my 3 hour, again just barely, so then I had to do another one and I passed it. Never had GD.

The thing is is that I don't want to go through all the BS again. I have been drinking about 20 to 25oz of infused Nettle a day and trying my darndest to cut out sweets.

Does anyone have any advice on how to pass the 1 hour? I know they're important, but I don't want to go through all the crazy testing again to find out that I don't have GD.

Much appreciated.

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#2 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 11:38 PM

I have had diabetes for 30+ yrs, so I don't know much about this. But I do remember reading when I was pg the first time that there is some evidence that the huge intake of fast-acting carb puts a great deal of stress on a pg woman's glucose metabolism, and that it may increase the risk of gd. I'm not telling you not to get the test, just suggesting you might look into alternatives and the pros/cons. Good luck.
#3 of 19 Old 03-19-2006, 12:35 AM

Don't take it Do a search for GD and Henci Goer. Interesting reading. I refused all glucose testing.

-Angela
#4 of 19 Old 03-19-2006, 12:43 AM

Some options...

1. Don't take it at all.
2. Take a modified version...that is what I did. Instead of fasting and then drinking the orange junk, I had a candy bar and they drew blood an hour later. I didn't fast at all, therefore I didn't get sick at all. It was much better.
3. Eat only whole-grain - no bad carbs. Get tons of protein.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#5 of 19 Old 03-19-2006, 10:25 PM

Just don't take it! I plan on telling my ob NO way am I going to drink that stuff full of gross stuff for me and my baby, and if she insists, I'll offer to take my blood sugars for a week when I wake up. There was just a new study published on the ineffectiveness of this test, and how worthless it is- and it was put out by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology no less!
#6 of 19 Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 PM

I took the test, but I cut out all sweets for 3 days prior. Fasting isn't needed here for the 1-hour so I ate a high-protein low-carb lunch right before I went in to take the test. I scored extemely low, a relief after scoring 150 with DS.
#7 of 19 Old 03-19-2006, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Great advice! Thank you so much for responding. I think what I'll do is take the silly test, and if I fail, especially borderline, refuse the 3 hour. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess I'm curious whether my Nettle regimine is working for me--this is one of the main reasons I'm going ahead with the test.

#8 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 12:59 AM

A friend of mine is diabetic and did not want to do these tests. She instead got her practitioner to order a hemoglobin A1C test on her - it is a better indicator of your long-term sugar control anyhow.

If you are absolutely set on taking the 1 hour, ask for an alternative to consuming the Glucola junk - many practitioners have an acceptable meal to eat instead.
#9 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 09:40 AM

I am scheduled for this test in 2 weeks and after reading this thread I think I'll cancel.

How do they do the test?
#10 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang
I am scheduled for this test in 2 weeks and after reading this thread I think I'll cancel.

How do they do the test?
It's always different it seems, depending on your doctor. When I took the test during my first pregnancy, I had to fast for 8-10 hours (NO food, NO drink). At the end of the fast, and about an hour before my appointment, I had to drink a can of orange stuff. It tastes like orange soda without the carbonation. I think they have other flavors too but I can't imagine how changing the flavor would make it taste any better. Then they'll draw blood and check your sugar levels (which comes to the part I no longer understand). If you fail the 1hr test, you have to do the 3hr - same as the 1 hr, but you fast, drink the juice, then get your blood drawn...then you sit there and wait another hour, get blood drawn again, wait an hour, draw blood again.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#11 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 11:58 AM

If fasting is not required (it wasn't either time I took the test), eat a high protein breakfast with some fat in it (example: scrambled eggs and cheese cooked in butter, egg salad made with fullfat mayo). The first time I took the test, I walked briskly during the hour between drinking the Glucola and my blood draw. During (this) the second pregnancy, I thought I did have GD, so I wanted to be careful not to "cheat" the test. I ate the high protein/high fat breakfast, then took a slow walk up and down my street while the car warmed up. After drinking the Glucola, I ended up walking a bit (slowly this time), looking for a vending machine because I'd forgotten to bring my post-draw snack and got lost. Oddly enough, my numbers were even better this time than during my last pregnancy. No GD either time.

Here's some good info on the GD test. The website is for plus size women, but I think the info is helpful for everyone:
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/P...eensummary.htm

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
#12 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 01:39 PM

I took it last time before becoming educated on it! (after taking it, I vowed NEVER to do it again!)
I had to fast for 12 hours (which was horrible for me!!! I am a recovered anorexic who had trouble gaining weight in pregnancy, that fast really really was a set back, not helpful at all!)
and then get up in the a.m., get my blood drawn (after waiting 1 hour at the lab, gotta love the military health system) at which point, I passed out, and they refused to take another sample. My fasting level came back around 75, totally not even within limits to worry about, but the doctor coninued to pester, I fasted for 12 hours again, went in for the real test, drank that horrible drink (that has an equivalent amount of sugar to 10 Candy BARS!!! think of eating 10 snickers bars in under 5 minutes, gross, huh?) and got my blood taken an hour later. That horrible drink made me sick, and dizzy and I just felt totally offf.
The really absurd thing is that no doctor at any point agreed on what the limits, or what is normal for your sugar to be at after drinking the drink....some say 140, another said 145, another said 130, and another said 135....so again, how accurate can it be?
I really am not looking forward into getting into it with my new OB, but hopefully she will be more open-minded, and if not, it's never too late to find a new doctor (and who really needs one of those anyways? if it wasn't for my hubby, I'd be at home having a baby in the bathtub!)
#13 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 03:15 PM

I don't have any proof, but a lady I know that puts out a newspaper just asked me to research glucose testing and increased outcomes of premature babies being born to mothers that took the test. Do we really know what is in that drink? I havent done any research yet, but apparently theres been numerous women having premies afterwards. Has this happened to any of you? Interesting theory, something to think about anyway.
#14 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Just wanted to second the above advice about moving between the drink and the blood draw. Walking or whatever, it will help your body metabolize the glucose.

And I don't think that's cheating, because really, when do you eat lots of sugar and just sit down for an hour?! lol

I also agree on either fasting or a high protein breakfast. Any extra carbs you eat will be pretty much added to the effect of the glucose.

Good luck if you decide to take it - this time I declined and I test my own sugars at home, along with an HbA1c every few months (which have been perfect, despite my "higher than normal" home readings. Go figure)

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

#15 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 05:23 PM

I had a similar experience with the test as LillyGrace'sMommy.

I had to fast for 12 hours then drink the sugar drink in 10 minutes. I almost passed out before I even got to the lab, then I almost vomited during and after the drink. I was supposed to lie down during the waiting time, not allowed to move around at all. I was shaking and crying and felt so queasy and horrible (my morning sickness had been over for months) I just wanted to puke.

And for what? So they could know I didn't have GD? I was 24 years old, a healthy weight before and during pg, I'm only 1/2 hispanic with no family history of early onset Type II diabetes. I eat many small meals of healthy, whole foods throughout the day, I get lots of exercise and I don't eat junk. What would they do for me if I had GD? Tell me to eat many small meals of healthy, whole foods throughout the day, get lots of exercise and not to eat junk. Well gee...I don't think I need an OB's help on this one.

Never again. No GTT again for me. I shouldn't have done it the first time.
#16 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 05:28 PM

See if you can cancel it. Or ask if you can do home glucose monitoring for a week as an alternative.

I took it last week and failed (148 ~ cutoff was 140). Rather than do the 3 hour test, I talked my doctor into letting me do blood sugar testing at home throughout the day. My sugars have been totally NORMAL for the last 4 days. The highest glucometer reading I got was 104, with most being around 85-90.

I think for those of us very sensitive to sugar (which I am), glucola makes my body behave as though I have GD. Obviously, given my daily finger stick results, I don't.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#17 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbLover
I don't have any proof, but a lady I know that puts out a newspaper just asked me to research glucose testing and increased outcomes of premature babies being born to mothers that took the test. Do we really know what is in that drink? I havent done any research yet, but apparently theres been numerous women having premies afterwards. Has this happened to any of you? Interesting theory, something to think about anyway.
The drink is no big deal. It is 50 grams of glucose. Like a soda. You'd get that many carbs- FASTER acting carbs- by eating a normal white flour bagel from Panera bread or something. Even those of us who try hard as heck to eat all naturally get those ingredients from some foods.

I think not having any proof of the above theory that there are more preemies for those who took this test is accurate. The only link there would be is if higher-risk women were tested more often, thereby establishing a PRE-existing link between any high-risk situations and having taken the test. Let's not be alarmist, here.

I think a risk of the test is pushing someone who has very borderline, almost-normal numbers to be in the "high risk" pregnancy group, with a higher risk of interventions, instead of letting them modify their diet and exercise and try again, which is the reasonable route. Some people, by refusing the test, will get themselves put in that group, which is something to consider. I've done everything I can to NOT be put in that group.

There really is nothing dangerous or mysterious about the drink itself. I think the big difference is between having you fast before it. We did NOT fast before it, and I think that makes a big difference. If I had to have a fasting test, I might ask to test my blood at home instead or to take the non-fasting test as a substitute. I'm a large-sized girl, AND I had PCOS before this pregancy, so they were just *watching me like a hawk* expecting me to have problems, I think. I ate normally before the two 1-hour GD tests I have (normally for me is a healthy-carbs, low GI diet, AND I exercise) and I never had a problem. I'll bet, however, if I were still following the low-fat vegitarian diet I used to be on a few years ago, I would have had problems.

I think knowing if you have GD is important. I don't think the test is worthless, but it should be done properly. Basically, eat normally until you drink the drink, and you'll get a somewhat accurate idea of how your blood sugar is doing. If you score really high, then that's at least useful info that you need to change your diet to be healthier for you and your baby, which is a good thing. It's worth asking, if you score high, to give you a couple of weeks to modify your diet and get serious about excercising, research what a low "glycemic index" diet is, and then re-trying.
#18 of 19 Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

After some thought and reading your responses, I called my m/w office and talked to a nurse. I told her that I'm not taking the test. She said that she can't just excuse me from the test without my dr's permission, BUT she said that I could take a fasting test instead of drinking the nasty stuff. She actually said that this is a more accurate test than the glucose anyway. Even more surprisingly, she agreed that the orange stuff is not the healthiest stuff for a pg woman to ingest. So anyway, I guess they're going to get back to me this thursday when my Dr. is in to give me the go ahead for the fasting test. Just wanted to update everyone. THanks for your responses

#19 of 19 Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 PM

just curious anyone been fired by their OB for refusing the test? i'm interviewing some midwives and this is one of the things i want to ask. i have one friend that said better to just get it out in the open before picking a provider. i have another friend that said just don't tell them you are going to do it but refuse the test after you are a patient. i think i'm just going to get their opinion on it and go from there. then at least i have to option to keep looking or pretend like i'm going to do it. if they fire me, oh well, i will have to have a backup i guess.

my dh and i are determined not to do this silly test.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page