How do you know how many centimeters dilated/% effaced you are during labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read many birth stories about women who say they were only 3 cm dilated or 8 cm dilated and I wonder how do they know?

I am expecting my fourth and I've never known during labor what I was dilated to or my % of effacement (Maybe I simply don't remember?)

I had 2 babies in Atlanta (1996 and 1998) and one in Portland (1999) attended by a midwife in a hospital.

I never had pitocen or an epidural. I had a belly fetal monitor once (not the internal one); would that matter? Would you get checked more if you had these things or if you had complications? Maybe it's the style of your health care professional?

I am not worried or anything I am just wondering how you know? Do you ask to be checked? Is it reassuring to know?

I am thinking perhaps because I always needed to move around I was not as easy mother to check! LOL!

Warmly,
Debra
#2 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 12:00 PM

The midwife did internals and told me the results, the only way to know is through a check.
Oh and you don't need them often, I had 3 one on admitting, one in the "middle" and one right before I started to push.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#3 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 01:25 PM

Debra, you are living proof that many docs would benefit from seeing!! A woman who didn't have a jillion vaginal exams during her labor---who went on to actually BIRTH her babies, and have MORE babies and birth them, too!!! LOL

I think the caregiver's style & probably hospital policy will determine how many exams a woman has. There are certain styles of caregiving that really love NUMBERS--be it numbers on the clock, or centimeters dialated & percent effaced.

I do think Pit and all pain-relieving drugs will result in more exams...the caregiver will want to see if the Pit is working--how many cm's is mom NOW, before Pit, and how many is she later, after Pit. Is mom close to pushing? (7 cms) 'cause then no drugs 'cept an epidural.

I just got a copy of my labor progress notes and was suprised to read that I had 8 exams!! whoah. I didn't remember that many.
#4 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 01:36 PM

My midwife would check me a couple of times and then tell me how far I was dialated. I laboured at home and then would go to the hospital to push the baby out. I had really big babies and the first time I hemmoraged after he was born so I felt more comfortable going in to the hospital. With my second baby it was reassuring to know because I was dialating pretty rapidly so it was nice to know all the work was paying off! Very uncomfortable to lie still and be checked but worth it for me. I wouldn't bother if I were in your situation as it would probably be an unnecessary distruption to the rythm of your labour.
#5 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 05:18 PM

I knew because my midwife announced it every time she did a vaginal exam.

I didn't know it at the time (which was why I allowed her to do them) but not only was it totally unnecessary, it increased my discomfort and inhibition, and discouraged me, and therefore interfered with the labor.

I chose not to have any checks for my second and third births (and still managed to somehow give birth -- amazing how that happens! )

It's unusual not to be checked in the hospital, or for them not to announce it if they do check.
#6 of 6 Old 02-17-2003, 06:01 PM

Well, with my first, I did not call my midwife until I felt like I had to push; she checked me one time to ensure I was fully dilated.
Second: the cont'x were coming on every couple of minutes, so she came over. I was dying to find out how far along I was, so I asked her to check me, and I was seven. That was the only check, and only because I wanted one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page