Astragalus? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-22-2006, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know if Astragalus is ok to take during pregnancy...I've got a terrible cold and my doula told me about it, but wasn't sure it if is ok...thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 03-22-2006, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To my knowledge it isn't contraindicated during pregnancy but it isn't recommended either, so I would avoid it personally. But if you decided to take it, would you take it solo or as a blend? If you take as a blend, make sure the other herbs are safe. I've never taken astragalus so I can't say. I know it's sometimes used as an immune booster, but I've not heard of it being used to treat a common cold. Maybe she's recommending it as an echincea substitute?

You can instead use a neti pot, saline spray, eucalyptus/mint steams, and Zicam is safe too, according to my m/w (it totally zapped my cold at Christmas time -- I love the stuff, but only use it when I need it and you have to take it the entire duration for it to work). You might try some homeopathics too, though no mint products within 15 minutes of taking a remedy.

Good luck and sorry you're sick!

Here's some warning info I found on astragalus -- take it or leave it, but it's interesting:

Quote:
Side Effects

Traditionally, astragalus used alone in recommended doses is considered safe. Determining the exact side effects of astragalus is difficult, because this herb is usually found in multi-ingredient products with other herbs. Side effects reported in people using combination products that include astragalus are heart palpitations, abdominal discomfort, diarrhea and aspiration pneumonia. Based on animal studies, astragalus may have diuretic (urine-producing) activity or may lower blood pressure (although traditionally it is believed that astragalus may raise blood pressure). Ingestion of certain toxic astragalus plants may cause neurological syndromes, some of which are irreversible.

Based on laboratory studies, astragalus may increase the risk of bleeding. Because astragalus may stimulate the immune system, individuals with autoimmune diseases or organ transplants should consult a health care professional before starting therapy. Astragalus is not recommended for people with acute inflammation or acute illness with fever.

Astragalus may increase growth hormone levels.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 3 Old 03-22-2006, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used astragulus VERY early in pregnancy last time - ie, before I could even test. I had a cold and I went to the hfs and asked what herb I could take that would be safe for pregnancy. They looked it up and said that one would be ok, and I took it. Baby is a healthy 21 month old.

But I agree with PP about Zicam - I used it recently when DS was getting a cold, and I never got the cold!!!!! That's the first time that's happened where DS got something and I didn't. I gave it to him too, and it definitely shortened the duration and reduced the severity of the cold. Wasn't bad at all. Phew! Zicam is homeopathic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page