tell me about your cravings - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it might be fun to see what crazy foods all the mamas-to-be are craving. So far I have had a hankering for horseradish, tuna and grape juice (not necessarily all together). What foods can you just not do without these days???
#2 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 05:01 PM

one of the weirdest things i craved when i was pregnant with ds#1, was anchovies! i kept tubes of anchovie paste in the house and would squeeze it on italian bread. all the time!!

oh, and i had to have those mcdonalds barbeque pork sandwiches (this was almost 13yrs ago!).
#3 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One week it was tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. This week it's cheese quesadillas with extra sharp cheddar. And pretty much for the past month I've been craving pickles. They have to be vlasic (the crunchy ones) dill pickles. Though I'm wishing I could get my hands on some different pickled veggies (like the Japanese eat. They pickle everything!)

Oh, and sweet curry.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#4 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 08:01 PM

I'm craving Pickles, waffles, english muffins, seafood (shrimp, lobster), and mexican food. But fatty stuff makes me feel pukey... so I'm avoiding the mexican food! And haven't gotten to have the seafood yet, but I still want it!!!!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#5 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 08:38 PM

#6 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 09:23 PM

In the beginning of this pregnancy I craved everything sour - pickles, cole slaw, lemons. . .

Now (I'm 5 1/2 months along) my biggest craving is slices of cheddar cheese topped with roasted red peppers on top of triskut crackers.

Oh and of course anything Ben and Jerry's
#7 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 09:31 PM

With dd all I wanted was black olives....by the can I would eat them.

This time I'm loving salad...ceaser salad and potato salad....yummy.
But not cravings like I had with first pg....it's more like if I smell it I want it type thing or if I see it (commercial or at the store). Like right now I really want bruchetta (sp??) bread.....
Around Christmas time though...all I wanted was pickles....chips, the actual pickles....

Jen
#8 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 09:52 PM

potatoes...potato soup, baked potatoes with hummus and tahini (i don't eat dairy), baked tater tots...that's about it. during my first pg i wanted eggs and cheese, but not this time. i do find that i need lots of variety--ordering in Chinese just does absolutely nothing for me anymore.
#9 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 10:41 PM

Fun thread!

A month or so ago, I was craving Sour Patch kids candy like crazy. It was just the sour candy thing I think. I went through about four or so bags in one week , although I can't even stand the thought of eating them now.

I went to the grocery store a week or so ago, and was almost in tears because I knew I needed to eat and couldn't think of anything htat sounded good. It wasn't until my cart was filled with oranges, kiwis, mangoes, grapes, strawberries and pea pods that I realized that my body definitely needed vitamin C! The only problem when I got home was what to eat first with my ever shrinking stomach. Definitely much healthier than the sour patch kids.

Oh, and mashed potatoes has been the staple food this pregnancy. Weird. :

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#10 of 29 Old 02-18-2003, 10:44 PM

Today, tacos. Two days ago, fast food with fries with pepper on them. The most frequent craving I've had over the last 8 months is for fried chicken. (Gross!) Most of it is a result of needing protein; it's a challenge for me to eat enough of it!

OMIGOSH-- I almost forgot: ORANGES!! I want to eat them all day long!
#11 of 29 Old 02-19-2003, 02:18 AM

Well i'm 3 months in and the only real "I've got to have it now" craving I have had was for green grapes. I was at work when it hit me (I work evenings) so I called my husband at home and asked him to pick some up for when I got home from work. He didn't even question me...I guess he was expecting something worse like pickles and ice cream.

I used to have a total sweet tooth before I got pg but now I could care less about sweets.
#12 of 29 Old 02-19-2003, 02:50 AM

Ok now I want watermellon, olives and fried chicken! :LOL I'm doing a lot of craving when I see/hear things on tv or reading... Cept fatty foods make me also be queasy. So I WANT fried chicken but at the same time the thought makes me wanna throw up. Yuck!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#13 of 29 Old 02-19-2003, 09:11 AM

Funnily enough, I've not really had any cravings with this pregnancy...not any aversions either.

With my two previous pregnancies, though, I wanted to eat pineapple ALL the time, and I couldn't stand anything with tomatoes in it.

Weird, huh? Although I will admit to eating lots of potatoes...they seem to settle my stomach. But I wouldn't say that I'm craving them.
#14 of 29 Old 02-19-2003, 11:33 AM

With DS I HAD TO HAVE McDonald's cheeseburger happy meals. All the time. Only thing that tasted good. This time I am craving much healthier (thank goodness). I have to have raw vegetables, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc with ranch dressing. Also fresh fruit. Oranges specifically... I have a whole bag of oranges at my desk. I normally drink way too much pop thru the day while at work... now it makes me want to hurl most of the time (another good thing, I guess).

Oh, and I almost forgot... I hate milk (with a passion) but chocolate milk tastes sooo good right now.
#15 of 29 Old 02-19-2003, 12:09 PM

Used to be when I was pg with the 1st 2 it was all about steak, and crab legs.. This one is all about crap food.. McDonalds, KFC, Long John SIlvers, and now.. Rice Krispie Treats.. I am going to the store today to get the stuff to make some..

If this baby doesn't come out with cavities i'll be suprised!!!

Warm Squishy Feeligs...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#16 of 29 Old 02-19-2003, 12:26 PM

Well I did not have any in the first two Tri's, but when i hit the third I crave Fried Plantain's.

My mom has been dating a guy from Elsavidor, and he cooks the best foods ever! But at least once if not twice a week I call him up and ask him to cook me the fired banana's for lunch or dinner. My other kids think I am nuts. Oh but they are so good. And what is so funy is I rarely ever eat things fried.

p.s. sorry if my spelling is off.
#17 of 29 Old 02-19-2003, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I just remembered a major craving I had a while back. One day I was watching TV and a commercial came on for Ranch Dressing. I was sure I was going to actually die if I did not get some right then. I scoured the kitchen and found an old pack of the powdered stuff you mix with milk. Who knows how long it had been there. I ate almost the entire pack with carrots. The funniest thing is I hate ranch - it has always made me sick.
#18 of 29 Old 02-19-2003, 05:19 PM

Yesterday, I just had to have taco salad. So even though it didnt much appeal to my husband, he got the stuff and made it. Today at lunch, though, the thought of taco salad (I had planned to eat the leftovers) totally turned my stomach, so I just had a repeat of breakfast: Generic rice crispies w/ chocolate soymilk (though they FINALLY got the plain in at my local grocery store. DP snagged the last carton. Y'd think w/ the demand and long shelf life they'd order more of it!)

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#19 of 29 Old 02-20-2003, 11:38 PM

During my first trimester, it was lemons with salt, pickles, and triscuits with sharp cheddar.

Lately it's been cauliflower w/Ranch dressing (which I normally don't eat), cooked squash, spinach. I've had fried chicken a couple of times during this pregnancy... and again lately I'm craving cheese (sharp cheddar or pepper jack).

Oh, and during my second trimester, I started craving milk, ovaltine and banana blended up for breakfast. I also add wheat germ. I had to have it every morning, although that is easing off.

Sometimes I think meat like steak or lamb will taste good, but after I eat it I feel kind of sick. I think it's too rich.

Also, canned artichoke hearts without marinade, or fresh artichokes... And once in a while, canned whole button mushrooms...

And Ben and Jerry's... yum yum yum
Fruit: Strawberries, oranges, tangerines.

This is a fun topic.
Jenn L.
#20 of 29 Old 03-13-2003, 06:31 PM

Right now I can't get enough fruit...especially apples!! I haven't been able to keep water down so it seems like I'm constantly drinking juice...lemonade and grapefruit seem to help with the nausea. If I read about or see food and it doesn't make me nauseaus, I immediately crave it. Mostly I snack on a bag of salt and vinager lay's and a large bottle of lemonade while I'm at work...it's the only thing that keeps my head out of the toilet!!
#21 of 29 Old 03-14-2003, 12:00 AM

Pizza- but when I first got preg I knew I was because I couldn't even look at pizza, now I have it all the time. My first tri I was all about soup and potatos (sp). Now, I want all the water I can have and fruit. I also love slushies- I cant get enough of the cherry! Too yummy!!!! Nothing nasty or weird, but I cant do bacon much it makes me ill. Couldn't do eggs in the first tri but I am better now.

This baby is just like his daddy! Pizza Pizza Pizza

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#22 of 29 Old 03-14-2003, 02:11 AM

With my first child, it was peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

It had to be Smuckers strawberry preseves,the kind with chunks of strawberrys..and crucnhy peanut butter on soft white bread.

And orange gatoraide.

This time around it has been FRUIT! Especially oranges . But almost any other type of fruit( except apples and grapes) will do.

Also..I keep seeing this commercial for Long John Silvers and I want some...and I HATE fish with a passion..but I really could go for some fish from Long John Silvers.Good thing they do no have any in my area or I would be in trouble!!!

I used to go there with my Gramma Bertha as A little girl..I always liked the crunchy bits in the bottom of the basket.Do they still put those in there ?
#23 of 29 Old 03-14-2003, 12:42 PM

Man do I want pizza right now...everywhere I look there are ads for pizza....

I was craving Ceasar Salad this past month, and finally got my fill when dh and I went to East Side Mario's for dinner! Yummy...I think I ate like 4 bowls....lol....

Jen
#24 of 29 Old 03-14-2003, 01:00 PM

wwhippetcrazy

Wendy's has a good 99 cent Ceasar Salad. It is cheap and good! I get a baked potato and a ceasar side salad and it fills me up! Mostly because I am addicted to potatos right now so I go to wendy's insted of taking the time to bake it myself! It is only 99 cents too. Yummy-

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#25 of 29 Old 03-14-2003, 01:06 PM

Ummmmm.....I love Wendy's ceasar salad too...we don't have a Wendy's around here though...have to drive an hour away...of course that's where the East Side Mario's is too....
Sometimes I wish I didn't live in the boonies....
That's why the pizza craving is bad too....45 min drive to get a pizza....
Thank goodness the inlaws are coming...they always take us out to eat!

Now I want Wendy's.....yummmmmmmy

Jen
#26 of 29 Old 03-14-2003, 01:25 PM

At the beggining of this pregnancy I was so proud of my cravings, fresh fruit and cheese. Now, however, I find myself wanting sweets, more specifically...Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby. I do have to say that I've been able to eat much better with this pregnancy ( quality as well as quantity wise ) than when I was pregnant with my dd.

Miranda

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
#27 of 29 Old 03-14-2003, 02:34 PM

I see a little bit of a theme of 1st -vs- 2cnd pregnancy. My first pregnancy I was hooked on sugery breakfast cereal and weak grape kool-aid. This time it's fresh veges with ranch dip, Tons of fruit and runny eggs with a buttery english muffin. A whole lot healthier than fruity pebbles I think.

I think a big part of it is we don't want our first kids seeing us eat junk('cuz then they'll want it). Just another way that our children make us better people. Although I really wouldn't mind some golden grahms right about now
#28 of 29 Old 03-24-2003, 12:35 AM

I'm at 20 weeks now, and I'm curious when do everyone's cravings begin?

I have had mostly the opposite: aversions. Can't stand chunky soups, chicken or fish. In the first 3 months I was craving clear salty veggie or chicken broth, but that's probably only because of nasea!

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#29 of 29 Old 03-24-2003, 02:19 PM

My cravings definately didn't begin until the m/s stopped...before that it was mostly aversions.
That's how I knew for sure that the m/s was done....when I started craving stuff like crazy!

Today...I'm craving steak.....we just got 1/2 of our income tax refund (my half) so I think we may splerge and buy a couple steaks....the bbq isn't buried in snow anymore and it's +10C outside....what a day to bbq!

Take care!
Jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page