Hypnosis for childbirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-18-2003, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried hypnosis (or, self-hypnosis, really) for birth? There's a class offered near me, and I thought about taking it, since I figure any extra help I can have with keeping myself calm is a good thing. They're not cheap, though. I'd love to know your opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-19-2003, 07:49 PM

Here is a good discussion we had about hypno-birthing

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...=HypnoBirthing

#3 of 6 Old 02-19-2003, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Peggy!
#4 of 6 Old 02-20-2003, 06:16 PM

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, but mostly in the foothills of the Cascades
My advice would be to meet the person who will be teaching the class before you sign up. We didn't and it was a disaster. I believe that it can work - and work well, but you have to find the right practitioner for *you*! My teacher was not the right choice for me. Her voice grated on my nerves. She kept saying things like, "When you are in labor you will hear my voice," which just made me cringe inside. I had to fake a trance just to get the sessions over with. Total waste of money, and lots of it!

But don't let that scare you! Like I said, I still believe that it works.

Best of luck!

Patti
#5 of 6 Old 02-20-2003, 11:51 PM

Hey Neighbor!

We've just started taking a hypnobirthing class with an aquaintance in Freeport who's just starting out. I believe it's the first session she's offered...and it's a bit cheaper than the one that Colleen and others offer in Portland. (Anne's fee is $225...I think True North charges $275). The classes start next week and go for 4 weeks...so I'll let you know how it goes! Though our last birth went smoothly without it, I'm excited to have another "tool" in our bag to pull out if need be! And I'm most looking forward to just getting in the right frame of mind for this birth--it's been a bit more challenging this time with a toddler!

Congrats on your pregnancy! Where are you birthing? I'd highly reccomend taking the Ballard House 7 week childbirth prep class, even if you're not birthing there. I still meet faithfully once a week with all the moms from our original class there...two years later!
#6 of 6 Old 02-21-2003, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hi! I'm in Portland too, MamaMae. My midwives had given me information on the hypnobirthing classes at True North (I think it's $250), but when I called I got a message machine, and somehow it turned me off a little.

I'm birthing at Mercy Hospital, since that's the hospital my midwives (Back Cove Midwives) are associated with. We haven't toured it yet (not due until August), but from what I've heard, I think it will be good. I will, however, definitely look into the Ballard House childbirth prep class! I'd like to feel comfortable with the childbirth prep classes I take, too, so I'm glad to hear you recommend those.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page