Interested in other opinions about baby name - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2003, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two boys and I am expecting a girl any time now! My husband and I have struggled with names. I have tended to go for the less used names but we have come up with a couple we agree on. We decided to use family names for the first and middle and everyone on both sides of the family loved our decision. The problem is I am beginning to have doubts because the name is very popular ( at least the first name is): Madison Audrey. She would be named actually after my grandfather and my husbands grandma. I want to honor family members but I don't want to regret using such a popular name! My second choice was Laurel Audrey which is significantly less popular but my name is Lori---does that seem too weird??? : Would apreciate anyone's opinion! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2003, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I shy away from popular names, as my name is SOO popular, I cant relate to it at all.

Madison was found to be the most popular name in america right now. I wouldnt go for that one, personally.

I have a 21 year old neice named Laurel.....and have always loved that name. Audrey is a beautiful name.....Is that popular right now? My dd is only 2, so I dont know whats going around the schools these days...

I think it was babynames.com where you could find out how people who have the name already feel about it, what it was like growing up with it, etc.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:51 PM
XM

While Madison is getting more popular, I don't think it is so popular that you should hesitate to use the name for your daughter. It's so hard to find a name that you like, though... I remember growing up I thought Chloe and Zoe were beautiful names for girls and now I know soooo many Chloes and Zoes (I even have a friend who named dd1 Chloe and dd2 Zoe)... but I still think they are beautiful names.

XM
Old 02-19-2003, 07:57 PM

I don't think and Laurel and a Lori are weird, you just wouldn't use "Laurie" as a nickname...she's be Laurel. Audrey is also lovely. Classic, too. What about that as a first name? Audrey Madison? Madison is trendy right now, but if you want to use a family name, there's a lot worse. I have a name very much like yours (in fact, I have a cousin Lori.) Us popular-named girls aren't scarred for life..in fact it's fun little club with other folks your age as long as you have a pretty unique last name. If your last name is Johnson or something, I might try harder for unique. Whichever way you go would be fine. And most people can spell Madison. That's a plus. Unlike the huge number of spellings used for Caitlyn, for example.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted the wrong site for baby names..

Its babynamer.com
Old 02-20-2003, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XM
While Madison is getting more popular, I don't think it is so popular that you should hesitate to use the name for your daughter. It's so hard to find a name that you like, though... I remember growing up I thought Chloe and Zoe were beautiful names for girls and now I know soooo many Chloes and Zoes (I even have a friend who named dd1 Chloe and dd2 Zoe)... but I still think they are beautiful names.

XM
ERRRR. I have a Zoe and I thought her name was so unusual! humph.

My 1st daughters name is popular too, and I thought it was unusual (Abigail). :

oh well!
Old 02-20-2003, 02:57 AM

I know what you mean about the closeness of the names. We accidently did that with ds, I'm Leah, he's Liam. Sooooo many people ask us if he's named after me. He's not! And it just didn't occur to us until afterward. But somehow we all manage. I like both Madison and Laurel. I have a personal affinity for Laurel, not sure why, maybe because I agree that it seems less popular. I know a few Madison's. Then again, I have an Emma and look how many of those there are now! At least her middle name's uncommon around here where I live.

Go with your gut. You'll name her well.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:23 AM

Just reading this post I realized I love the name Audrey! I think all the names you have picked are very nice, I would try to go with the least popular though. I think it's very different picking a name for a child when you can see them.Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
~Holly
Old 02-20-2003, 03:20 PM

Public school teacher here to report bad news: Audrey is becoming really popular these days...I still totally love it. I've already seen an alternate spelling, Audrie, which is a sure sign it's getting trendy.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:17 PM

I remember when choosing a name for dd, I also avoided popular names- but some of the most beautiful names are the most popular, and it's not difficult to see why!
Then my cousin told me, "You know, all the famous, well-known pple have pretty common names, like John and Jennifer..." It struck me- the person makes the name! In Chinese, for eg, "Hui-ling" is a VERY VERY COMMON name, but when I hear this name, I always think of one of my seniors, not just becoz she's really tall, but also becoz she's just so talented!
So, just go with your heart! Your daughter will make the name unique and special!!

User Tag List