Got the heartburn! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
....For the first time, really, at 35 weeks now. It's really kickin' in! I stopped eating 3 hours before bedtime tonight and it's still here. I tried taking papaya. Any other (non-pharmcalogical)suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
-Eat small meals more frequently
-Don't snack before bed
-Use some extra pillows to prop you head and trunk
??????
Those suggestions helped me. I hope you get some rest.
#3 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 01:18 PM

Hi If you aren't vegan, try drinking some milk when it flares up. I had never had heartburn till I was way preggo and milk hit the spot every time, and pretty quickly too!!!!

#4 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 01:23 PM

Does Tums count as pharmacological? All it is is calcium carbonate (chalk).

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 03:48 PM

I have it really bad, too.

I drink *lots* of water. And here is the best thing that has helped me so far: cabbage juice. I juice cabbage with celery (also great for HB), apple, and kale. The apple and kale are just for taste. And it is lacinato (dinosaur) kale, not the bitter kind of kale.

The reason that I tried cabbage/celery juice is because I have read over and over and over that cabbage is an *excellent* and highly-effective remedy for ulcers and for HB, in general. I mean, it is so good, that a three week course with a pint of the juice daily is nearly always curative for ulcers.

I know it sounds a little gross, but if you are like me, you will get to a point where you will try almost anything to get rid of the pain. HB has been so weird for me. I had never experienced it before I became pregnant. And now, when I don't juice, it is my constant companion.

You have inspired me to go and juice right now!

Good luck and good health to you!

Jean

p.s. the red cabbage is a little more palatable than the green, although both are excellent medicinally.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#6 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 04:20 PM

May sound odd but apple cidar vinegar immediately cures it for me every time!!! You could take it in the liquid form but since I'm a wimp, I just got it in the pill form. It's high in pottasium (which combats acid) and also there's something about it that combats the high acidity. I don't know all the details but it works INSTANTLY every time I have heartburn (and lately that has been A LOT!!!).
#7 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 04:31 PM

Slippery Elm powder mixed with war, milk and drunk quilckly before it get to thick worked for the severe heart burn I had with dd #1. I can remeber how much powder I mixed with like a half a cup of milk, am think ing it was like a Tablespoon or so. I also added just a little brown sugar to it, made it taste like oatmeal that way.

The Slippery Elm capsules dont work

With dd#2 I had heartburn but nothing like the first time, Tums worked for me then though I really dont like using them. I tried to use the Slippery Elm but it made me puke, worked thought. Come to think of it the only Tums I could take without puking was the Ultra Spearmint ones, all others tasted to chalky.

Milk also helped with dd#2, I had access to farm fresh milk

I hope you find something that helps you! SOON!!
#8 of 9 Old 02-20-2003, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the suggestions! Last night it went away 5 hours after dinner (instead of the three I was shooting for), and I got a good night's sleep, so I think I'll just eat dinner that much sooner. I think that will do the trick!
#9 of 9 Old 02-21-2003, 01:09 AM

About antacids, my nutritionist friend reminded me that we need all the nutrients from the food we consume to nourish the baby. So the stomach acids serve a purpose that should not be neutralized by antacids, if possible. If there is an emergency flare-up, mylanta is better than tums.

Another suggestion is to eat while standing up so that the stomach has more room. The expansion of the stomach in your crowded abdomen is what causes the extra secretion of digestive acids. I also find exercise or yoga helpful.

It's also a good idea to keep track of what foods seem to cause more HB than others. I am trying to cut down on wheat products, which seem to trigger burning for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page