Exercise whlie prego... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a runner and do between 6 to 10 KM three times a week. I used a heart rate monitor on my last run and I averaged a heat rate of 156. Does anyone have any info/feedback on this? I exercised during my other two pregnancys but at that time I was into walking alot and free wieghts. Nothing that really brought my heart rate up.

We're at four weeks and so far feeling good!
#2 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 04:59 PM

There are so many great yoga for pregnancy classes now, as they are all the rage. Most will recommend that you begin around 4 mos. pregnant. Yoga teachers I have had have recommended rest and gentle excercise in the first trimester.

Swimming is great because you are kept cool by the water and later in pregancy it is an awesome feeling to float in the water.

Just my 2 cents.
#3 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 05:18 PM

As long as you take it easy and keep your heart rate in check you should be fine, until getting pregnant, I jogged 3 miles about 6 days a week, I'm now 10 weeks, I stopped running only because I'm too tired, after a day of work and a toddler there is just nothing left to give.

I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll feel good enough to keep going.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#4 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 05:19 PM

I think the most important thing is for you to listen closely to what your body wants to tell you. If you feel too much fatigue or tension you should slow down. Your body is working very hard to grow a baby and will need alot of your strength for that. I'm not sure of the official numbers for heart rates are (maybe 140?) but I think paying attention to how you feel is the best guide. Also be careful near the end of pregnancy when all your ligaments start loosening for birth, but by then you'll probably just be walking
#5 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 07:03 PM

I read a book a couple of years ago, but I can't remember what it's called. Something about exercise while pregnant. It said that if you were doing it before, it shouldn't be a problem to continue during pregnancy. It went into detail about the heart rate & body heat thing (again, not a problem if you're used to it).
I think if you feel ok, then it should be fine.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#6 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I think I'll be blessed if I can keep it up and still feel great doing it for the whole first trimester. I have no illusions of being able to run with an eight months along tummy hanging out there!
I know the swimming and yoga is good. Problem is I hate swimming and there is only one prenatal yoga class in town. Its $10 a session and in the middle of the day. I don't feel I get enough out of it to leave my 16 month old with a babysitter (plus our sitter is my 12 year old who is in school at that time!) and pay that much.
I'm just so into running right now. I love the convenience, I can do it at night when DH is home. Plus I feel SOOOOOOOOO good afterwards!
#7 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 10:31 PM

i hear you should not have your heart rate go above 140 degrees- my doctor just told me this
#8 of 8 Old 02-21-2003, 11:57 PM

From what I've heard/read, you shouldn't let your heartrate go above 140bpm. I go above that a bit sometimes, and just try slow down when I realize it.

I do a workout at Curves for Women, I've been a member since 2000 (took a hiatus with my first pg, bad idea!) and have just continued since I got preggo this time. I've felt so much better this time around!

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page