Advice- am I pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sorry to bother everyone, but please give me your thoughts on whether or not I am prego!

I took 4 at-home urine tests yesterday
2 came back positive
2 came back negative

A blood test came back neg today.

Haven't received my period yet and was due to get it the last few days.

I am nursing a lot more than I was before, I have only had one period and that was last month.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 PM

Was your blood test a quantitative or qualitative? In other words, did they give you a number, or just a yes/no? A couple of things, the yes/no blood test may be a "no" if done very early in pregnancy, before you have enough hcg in your system to register on the test. The quantitative test, where they give you a number tells how much hcg is in your system, less than 5 is not pregnant. The other possibility is that you had some hcg in your system, because the egg was fertilized but didn't implant properly, sometimes called a chemical pregnancy. If you continue to have + tests at home, you should get another blood test to see if your hcg is increasing.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 PM

What brand were the two positive and two negative? When did you take each one? Were the positive lines colored or were they grayish? Were they dark or very light?

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 04-11-2006, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hmmm... I assume you read the positives within 10 minutes of taking the test? Were they all the same brand of test? That is really weird.

I'd say MAYBE.

It could be that your hcg just isn't very high yet, or it could be a really early m/c in the works. The cycle before I got pregnant with this one, I went 4 days late, had preggo symptoms, but ended up never getting a positive test. I think I had a fertilized egg but it just didn't implant properly or something. The day I was supposed to get a blood test, AF started.

Here's the FAQs for this issue from peeonastick.com:

Positive and negative hpts
Negative blood test and still pregnant

I hope you end up eventually getting a solid result of some sort, and that it's the result you want!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 04-11-2006, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you usually only get a false negative, false positives are very rare. I would say you are pregnant.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

i AM an idiot.
Sorry --- okay. Blood test I don't know much except they said it was "negative" and was only 3 hours from start to finish to take the test and then hear the results at the clinic.

I took a generic brand stick test that had only one line (which meant non prego).
I took 2 digitals by Clear Blue Easy and one said "NOT PREGNANT" the other said "PREGNANT." Huh?

The last one was a stick test with two pretty distinct pink lines.

The lady at the clinic sad flatly, "You ain't pregnant, doll."
Old 04-11-2006, 09:52 PM

I would say it is extremely unlikely that you would get two distinct positives on different brands of tests and not be pregnant. But it seems like the blood test would have picked it up. I'd take another test tomorrow and call your dr. back. I think I read somewhere about a certain kind of cyst that can cause false positives, but that is extremely rare. And you are NOT an idiot! You got two positive results on two different brands of HPTs! If I got even one I'd be pretty sure I was pregnant.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:56 PM

I agree with the pp. You are likely in the very early stages of pregnancy. I would probably call my care provider in the morning. Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

User Tag List