Mothering Forum banner

alternative to petroleum jelly for belly casting?

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tatgurl 
#1 ·
I've heard petroleum jelly makes a goopy slimy mess after the fact and is impossible to clean up. But of course I don't want this thing permaglued to my skin! Anyone ever used anything else, successfully? TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
I used Burt's Bees Apricot baby oil... I think any kind of oil will do, really. My MIL (who did the cast, and who does body casts of other people as part of her art on a very regular basis, and always uses petroluem jelly) was very impressed.

Since we also did part of my legs (the upper thighs) I put saran wrap over my "girly bits" (I still oiled the hairy parts, but not overly much, just enough to get the saran wrap to stick).

But I didn't bother saran wrapping my armpits, and I do have pretty long (tho sparse) pit hair! I just covered the hair with oil and no hair was torn out!

HTH!

#5 ·
We used un-patroleum jelly and I thought it worked great. I would be worried about oils dripping on the carpet or running down my body and onto the floor. I liked the un-patroleum because it stay put and did a great job.

Keri

#7 ·
I second the oil option. I used jelly the first time and it's a HUGE mess. I had to lather up with soap 5 times before I STARTED to get the stuff off, then the tub was covered and SOOOO slippery!!!
I used baby oil the second time. just rubbed it in to absorbtion, then added a little more for lube, not dripping off. Then showered it off in one shot. If you're going low, I just put plastic wrap over the lower hair (it suck fine to the oil).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.