What does a m/c look like? (tried not to be too graphic) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-23-2003, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I really don't think I'm pg, or having a m/c, I just want to rule out all possibilities before I break down and see an ob.

I was feeling more nauseous and tired than usual, so I took a pg test, which was negative. This was not quite 2 weeks before I expected my cycle. (I take the minipill). The next day I started bleeding, and it's the 4th day now. It's not like a regular period, but it's not heavy and I don't have cramps. The first day there was just this string of dark red mucus, and the following days have been just thin red fluid.

So if it were a m/c, the pg test would have been positive, right? And the bleeding would be heavy and I'd have cramps too, right?

Thanks everyone!
#2 of 4 Old 02-23-2003, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My miscarriage occurred at 11 weeks, although the pregnancy had stopped developing sometime before then, I believe, since no actual baby was detected in the u/s I had after my spotting started. I did not have cramps at all, believe it or not. It was a pain free experience for the most part, except for some of the things they did in the ER.

What I had was stuff that looked like pieces of raw liver at first, then big clots that I could feel sticking in my vagina. I had to reach in and pull some of them out and they would start to break apart which gave me the willies. I actually reached into the toilet when I passed the largest clot which was several inches long and kind of fetus shaped, even though I know it wasn't a fetus. I just had to make sure, though.

So was that too much information? Sorry.

I've heard that you can get a positive on a pregnancy test but then get your period more or less at the regular time as the zygote (or fertilized egg, what ever the proper term is) doesn't implant and pregnancy doesn't actually occur. I would assume in that case that it would just be like a normal pregnancy. I've also heard where women continue to get light periods even though they are pregnant. If you are taking the minipill and got your period so much sooner than you should of, it sounds like something is out of whack with how the pill is working, at least.

I would think if you were feeling nauseated due to pregnancy, you'd be several weeks along which would mean that you should have gotten a positive test, but maybe not. I don't know, it's all rather confusing to me.
#3 of 4 Old 02-23-2003, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First one happened at 8 or 9 weeks (don't remember exactly...the dates were never completely decided). I had a LOT of extremely painful cramping and bleeding, with a few smallish clots (but I always get those during my periods). Then came a wave of really poweful cramps, to the point I broke out in a cold sweat and then a huge something just fell out of me all at once. I was going to 'check' it but I passed out and my partner had cleaned up (I think he was in shock too) after carrying me to the bed and making sure I wasn't bleeding heavily anymore.

After that I had a few days of bleeding (moderate, no heavier than worst period) and then nothing.

Second one happened at 3 or 4 weeks (in conjunction with corpus luteum cyst rupture). I had only spotting with that one, not even a whole day of bleeding, and then had my regular period 2 weeks later.

I have heard from other friends that their very early miscarriages were just like a heavy period. My second miscarriage was detected primarily by blood test...I had a really really faint positive with one of those early hpt things.

So depending on how far along you are, it may not look any different from a normal-to-heavy period, but once it develops past a certain point you'll have very large clots.

If you are worried, or think you might've had a miscarriage, it's somewhat important to check your hormones levels a week or two later and to make sure that you're not running a fever or bleeding for more than a week or so...that can mean it was only partial and that needs to be taken care of. Depends on your doctor though...mine is very noninterventionist and encouraged me to miscarry on my own with #1, while many people I know had doctors that almost immediately did a D&C. Either way is fine, up to what you feel comfortable with.
#4 of 4 Old 02-23-2003, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If I were pg it wouldn't have been more than 4 or 5 weeks. I've only had one other pg and I didn't notice any abnormal physical stuff until 6 weeks, although now I'm probably more aware and would catch it sooner.

I got "Our Bodies, Ourselves" and it says that the pill can cause irregular bleeding, but that seems to be a contradiction to everything else I've heard - I heard it is one of the best ways to regulate your cycle and that some women are prescribed the pill just for that purpose, even if they are not sexually active.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page