August mamas - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 03-14-2003, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been busy the last week or so and haven't had a chance to post! I am Heather, 21 year old mama to 20 month old dd Bailey, married to Matt and expecting twins. My official due date is Aug 10, but have received news that it will probably be much earlier than that.

I had my first appt with the perinatologist on Tuesday. Both babies are growing well, measuring right on at 18 weeks. We also found out that Twin A is a boy and Twin B is a girl. It was impossible to tell which one was presenting, because they were so close in position... so Baby B may, in fact, be born first.

We also found out that Baby A has a Single Umbilical artery. She said that it was usually associated with heart, renal or gastro-intestional abnormalities, but it looks like Baby A is doing well. They couldn't find anything that struck them as "abnormal." I am scheduled for an echocardiogram in two weeks to double check his heart. If he doesn't have any abnormalities, then the only problem that may be caused is a slow-down in growth in the third trimester, which, could be bad, because most likely, they will be early and small to begin with.

We also found out that I only have one Uterine Artery that is working properly. Basically, I guess it means that my body is just working extra hard to get blood pumped through the one artery to my uterus. I haven't found much info about it, though, so I'm not totally sure.

Also, my perinatologist thinks that I may have an underlying kidney problem that is affecting my blood pressure and allowing me to spill protein into my urine, thus making it appear I have Preeclampsia. Then she said that because my body is doing it already, that conditions like Preeclampsia may be more likely in my case. (I was "diagnosed" with Preeclampsia at 20 weeks with my first pregnancy and protein has already been found in my urine this go-round).

So... crazy stuff. Not much I can do at this point. I have to rest a lot, and will most likely be put on bedrest earlier than we thought. I also have level II ultrasound scheduled for every 4 weeks from here on out, and may opt for an amnio. My OB is a NST fanatic, and I had 3 a week for most of my first pregnancy, and when she finds out about this, she'll probably want frequent NSTs for this one, too.

I was assured that the doctors will keep a close eye on me and the babies from here on out, and if anything comes up that can't be addressed, the babies will be delivered ASAP. We're hoping for at least 33 weeks-- the week of June 22.

This is... interesting... to say the least.:

Good luck to all the other mamas!

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 97 Old 03-14-2003, 08:19 PM

wow Heather you are in my thoughts and prayers and you sound so positive!
#93 of 97 Old 03-14-2003, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kaje62
wow Heather you are in my thoughts and prayers and you sound so positive!
Ha! I've had a few days to let it settle in. If you had talked to me on Tuesday, I was a wreck.

But, at this point, the only thing I can really do is be positive. I am aware of the risks that have arised, but I have faith in my doctors and I just keep giving myself little pep talks!

Heather
#94 of 97 Old 03-15-2003, 10:43 AM

Hi, I've been lurking for awhile and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm due with a girl August 25, my second. I think she will arrive earlier, though. Ds was 2 and a half weeks early. I'm already BIG and finally getting over nausea. But every time I get bigger (like this week I think I doubled in size), I get slowed down for awhile until I readjust.

I'm looking forward to being part of this community as due dates get closer. Right now I have to admit it does feel far away.

Mamasi
#95 of 97 Old 03-17-2003, 01:20 PM

Welcome Heather and Mamasi!

Heather, take care of yourself!
How are y'all doing?
I hope everyone is well. I was 18 weeks yesterday, and tomorrow I go for my first ultrasound. Ohhh, I am nervous and excited! We are going to find out whether we are having a boy or a girl, if the wee one is not too coy. I've been feeling her/him move pretty regularly lately. In fact, dh and I were talking about a woman we know who has a unique name, and I said, let's name the baby that! And got a swift kick....so either it's a boy and he was upset, or it's a girl and she loved it!

Take care, everyone!
#96 of 97 Old 03-18-2003, 02:38 PM

Is this thread getting too long for everyone? I think it might be...
Let's start a new one!
#97 of 97 Old 03-18-2003, 06:12 PM

okay i started it. here is the link.

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...threadid=48500

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page