please give your opinion!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-23-2003, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all your opinions on my previous post about names. Such a dilemma ! I think I might have found a "keeper" and wanted some opinions: Emersyn Audrey - "emma" for short. What do you think? Thanks!!!
#2 of 6 Old 02-23-2003, 10:05 PM

I think it's beautiful...but I'm curious about the "y" and about the nickname. I'm more comfortable with traditional spellings. Are you trying to make it gender neutral? If so, I always wonder why people choose gendered names in the first place. Not a slam, I swear! Just curious. Also I just like the whole name so much I'd plan to use it, without shortening.
#3 of 6 Old 02-23-2003, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! My Dh has the same opinion about the spelling so we will probably go with the traditional spelling "Emerson" although I did come across the name with a "y" and did feel it made the name more feminine. I know it would constantly be misspelled with the "y" though. Anyway, as far as the nickname, I 'm afraid it will get shortened and I would rather be in "control" of the nickname. I specifically picked names for my sons that could not be shortened so I would call her the full name but wanted to have a nickname I liked just in case
#4 of 6 Old 02-23-2003, 11:10 PM

Love it! and I totally agree that the "y" makes it more feminine. Seriously, that name rocks!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#5 of 6 Old 02-23-2003, 11:52 PM

i love it too. with a Y.
#6 of 6 Old 02-24-2003, 12:01 AM

About the y... I am a Brandi, and although I like the way my name is spelled, I think I would've preferred to have my name spelled the traditional way to avoid misspellings. If you want the name to be pronounced like Emerson, Emersyn might lead to mispronunciations.
Any way, It is a great name and on the other hand; if you are set on feminizing the name you could spell it Emmarson or Emarson or Emyrson. Sorry I bet that wasn't a whole lot of help. Good luck
What boy name did you decide on, btw?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page